Electricity generation by farmers for farmers? ‘No’ says state

BBSA

Honorary Master
Eskom can’t connect photovoltaic energy suppliers to the grid unless they’ve been registered by Nersa, but Nersa stopped doing registrations in February.

The failure of the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) to register small-scale solar photovoltaic installations in Eskom electricity distribution areas is costing farmers dearly, says Ig du Plessis, director of power consultancy Sonfin.

It is also stifling the development of an industry that could provide economic growth and employment, he says.

Du Plessis says Nersa stopped such registrations in February this year to develop a registration process and has just published a consultation paper about a once-off R200 fee that would be required from each applicant.

These installations are exempted from the extensive process involved in obtaining generation licences from Nersa, but are required to register in terms of regulations published in November 2017. More than a year later Nersa is still not geared to do such registrations.

https://www.moneyweb.co.za/news/south-africa/electricity-generation-by-farmers-for-farmers-no-says-state/

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Why do the farmers even bother with anything Eskom related.

Buy your own equipment and build your own grid FFS. If I had the money and space (as most farmers have) I'd be off the grid a long time ago.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Eskom can’t connect photovoltaic energy suppliers to the grid unless they’ve been registered by Nersa, but Nersa stopped doing registrations in February.
This is Africa..

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
Article makes no sense. Eskom needs power. Just read an article that says load shedding is coming back mid January. Farmers want to provide power. But cant because of red tape. Yet the load shedding is crippling the already screwed economy. What am I missing?

BBSA

Honorary Master

Buy your own equipment and build your own grid FFS. If I had the money and space (as most farmers have) I'd be off the grid a long time ago.
The are not allowed to do it, without Narsa approval, if they are in the Eskom electricity distribution areas.

Temujin

Executive Member
Article makes no sense. Eskom needs power. Just read an article that says load shedding is coming back mid January. Farmers want to provide power. But cant because of red tape. Yet the load shedding is crippling the already screwed economy. What am I missing?
Tenders, tenders, tenders... moar money... eskoms 'problems' have nothing to do with supply/demand... its all about about the looting

ISP cash cow

Executive Member

This. Farmers should not be retarded. Build your own grid and generate your own power supply.
the article is not about farmers as in land farmers but I think what they mean by farmers is the solar field farmers producing Photovoltaic power. They want to tie it into the grid to sell the power to Eskom. The article posts an example of one such farm that has been built and is now sitting idle because it cannot get licensing from NERSA.

When the cancellation of all these reusable energy plans were happening, it was when Zuma was needing to drain the power from Eskom so he could prove that he needed the Nuclear deal to go through from parliament.

Now that CR is there you will probably see all these farms and hydro and solar deals getting easier deals and sign offs from NERSA

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
the article is not about farmers as in land farmers but I think what they mean by farmers is the solar field farmers producing Photovoltaic power. They want to tie it into the grid to sell the power to Eskom. The article posts an example of one such farm that has been built and is now sitting idle because it cannot get licensing from NERSA.

When the cancellation of all these reusable energy plans were happening, it was when Zuma was needing to drain the power from Eskom so he could prove that he needed the Nuclear deal to go through from parliament.

Now that CR is there you will probably see all these farms and hydro and solar deals getting easier deals and sign offs from NERSA
Nope, its about Land Farmers who have invested in Solar arrays (and such) to lessen their cost burden from Eskom... It talks of a farm that has invested R9m on an array, but can't use it due to registration issues so has to pay the loan for it, plus its monthly power bill to Eskom.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Nope, its about Land Farmers who have invested in Solar arrays (and such) to lessen their cost burden from Eskom... It talks of a farm that has invested R9m on an array, but can't use it due to registration issues so has to pay the loan for it, plus its monthly power bill to Eskom.
oh yep looks like I got it wrong,

Du Plessis explains that Eskom will not connect any photovoltaic system to its grid unless it is registered with Nersa.

Once registered, the electricity consumer can enter into a new agreement with Eskom to do ‘net-metering’ and banking on the Eskom network. This means it will be credited for the electricity it generates and feeds into the Eskom system, with this credit offset against the cost of the electricity it later extracts from the system
it seems though that these farmers still want to sell their electricity (or at least offset their electricity costs) with Eskom.

Something is not right though because anyone can "go off grid" without any NERSA requirement. The only reason why you would need NERSA involvement is if you are trying to become a generator of, or reseller of electricity to Eskom's grid, then you need special NERSA agreements.

If the farmer just wanted to use it for their own purpose they would not need to get special agreements from Nersa, it seems the farmers have over capitalized hoping to resell some of the electricity back to the grid therefore either making more money or off setting peak season vs off season.

That's the way I see it anyway

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
oh yep looks like I got it wrong,

it seems though that these farmers still want to sell their electricity (or at least offset their electricity costs) with Eskom.

Something is not right though because anyone can "go off grid" without any NERSA requirement. The only reason why you would need NERSA involvement is if you are trying to become a generator of, or reseller of electricity to Eskom's grid, then you need special NERSA agreements.

If the farmer just wanted to use it for their own purpose they would not need to get special agreements from Nersa, it seems the farmers have over capitalized hoping to resell some of the electricity back to the grid therefore either making more money or off setting peak season vs off season.

That's the way I see it anyway
I read it differently as in the farmers want to generate for themselves, but be able to rely on the Eskom grid for certain things, and obviously also sell back to the grid if they over generate at times.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
I read it differently as in the farmers want to generate for themselves, but be able to rely on the Eskom grid for certain things, and obviously also sell back to the grid if they over generate at times.
The way I read it, is that during off season they will generate electricity of which they will put into the grid (giving them a credit on the electricity account, and then during peak season when they need to irrigate then they can draw on that "banked" credit therefore not having such a high electricity account peak season.

Problem though is that Eskom is losing customers left right and centre and they definitely do not want to lose big customers such as farmers.

ambroseg1

Honorary Master
The way I read it, is that during off season they will generate electricity of which they will put into the grid (giving them a credit on the electricity account, and then during peak season when they need to irrigate then they can draw on that "banked" credit therefore not having such a high electricity account peak season.

Problem though is that Eskom is losing customers left right and centre and they definitely do not want to lose big customers such as farmers.
Farmers who generate are already lost. So dont understand how that is what eskom is afraid of.