Electricity price hikes kick in tomorrow (1 July 2021)

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Their municipalities are getting money, so the DA doesn't care. They increased our rates here in Port Elizabeth. Never mind the fact that the rubbish truck guys don't bother to pick up any litter lying around (even if they go and break the bags), but hey...here's a 6% increase. Our water rates increased significantly...the DA mayor said they were punishing those people not adhering to the 12ML/month cap and were not doing it to punish the people sticking to that...but hey, here's a large increase for you all.
Parks don't have their grass cut. Nobody cleans the streets...the DA also feels like its citizens (well, the "haves") should just continue paying.

Just a different bunch of thieving Kunts ...

rietrot

Honorary Master
R500 + 13.48% = R567.40

So an extra 67 bux a month for me. Not exactly gonna need to sell a kidney, I'll survive this years increase I reckon
It's not about 1 year, it is about the compounding effect over time.

This is double regular inflation. Which means your R500 will likely turn into R1000 before your salary does the same. Basic essential cost of living going up above what many people on a tight budget can afford.

And even if someone have enough money, it eats into their discretionary spending. They could have supported the local economy by buying alcohol at a pub. No that wont happen.

AchmatK

Executive Member
R500 + 13.48% = R567.40

So an extra 67 bux a month for me. Not exactly gonna need to sell a kidney, I'll survive this years increase I reckon
R730 per month by year 3 of this round of increases. Nearly 50% increase over 3 years.

And excluding all the other associated increases that will come through in consumer products.

RedViking

Nord of the South
Municipalities are so corrupt they will pocket that 15% and Eskom still won't see a cent.

/Laughs in eThekwini

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
"Cape Town mayor Dan Plato highlighted that their price increase of 13.48% was much lower than the Eskom tariff hike."
On the City of Cape Town's domestic tariff you will now be paying R2.72/kWh for the first 600kWh, then R3.31 for any units above that. That is way higher than Eskom's or many of the other municipalities.

600kWh is way better than the 150kWh they give here, in Bloemfontein ...

You have a lot to be grateful for

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
"Cape Town mayor Dan Plato highlighted that their price increase of 13.48% was much lower than the Eskom tariff hike."
On the City of Cape Town's domestic tariff you will now be paying R2.72/kWh for the first 600kWh, then R3.31 for any units above that. That is way higher than Eskom's or many of the other municipalities.
Sounds right, I am currently on R2.40 per unit and with the increase that'll take me to R2.72 per unit. :thumbsup:

Botha22

Percentage wise but not price wise.
Most municipalities charge way more than the Eskom tarrifs so a 15% increase on say R2+/kWh is way more than a 17% increase on R1.28/kWh.

Keep going Eskom and municipalities - you're making the payback time for solar PV shorter every time you increase the electricity prices.
"City of Cape Town mayor Dan Plato highlighted that their price increase of 13.48% was much lower than the Eskom tariff hike."

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Their municipalities are getting money, so the DA doesn't care. They increased our rates here in Port Elizabeth. Never mind the fact that the rubbish truck guys don't bother to pick up any litter lying around (even if they go and break the bags), but hey...here's a 6% increase. Our water rates increased significantly...the DA mayor said they were punishing those people not adhering to the 12ML/month cap and were not doing it to punish the people sticking to that...but hey, here's a large increase for you all.
Parks don't have their grass cut. Nobody cleans the streets...the DA also feels like its citizens (well, the "haves") should just continue paying.

Careful now. Someone might come along and call you an ANC cadre after a post like that.

Quicks

Expert Member
I do not see corrupt cnts in jail! But people must fork out more and more money to pay for corruption.

richjdavies

Expert Member
All hail De Ruyter, our saviour. What a wonderful job he's done in reducing Eskom's debt.

Who cares that load shedding is still ongoing and we're sodomised with 15+% increases...
But... He doesnt look like an ANC guy, so must be good right?...right!?

Just look what he did with NamPac... Oh... Never mind!

Mekon

Expert Member
Would you believe it. I have worked out the problem with this country and all its woes. It is the cANCer. Aren't I smart?