Electricity price hikes kick in tomorrow (1 July 2021)

JohnMao

Executive Member
Best of a bad bunch ...
Kind of my thinking too. They raised our rates almost immediately in 2016, with the new DA mayor coming out to say they're doing this so the "Haves can pay for the have-nots". So they did some work, got kicked out, and we had 2.5 years of rubbish going on again.
Now they're in control again, and our rates have been raised 6% or so, not taking into account people are struggling.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
Kind of my thinking too. They raised our rates almost immediately in 2016, with the new DA mayor coming out to say they're doing this so the "Haves can pay for the have-nots". So they did some work, got kicked out, and we had 2.5 years of rubbish going on again.
Now they're in control again, and our rates have been raised 6% or so, not taking into account people are struggling.

Yep!

End result, the poor will swallow those who have, and there will only be poor and super rich, and they will be insulated from the poor - look at India. :( :( :crying:

rh1

Expert Member
As far as I know, eskom direct customers got the increase in April/May already ? Certain I am getting less units for the same amount for the last two months.
You are correct, they have a spreadsheet which can download from the Eskom Website. Select the 60amp in the spreadsheet and use it to calculate your cost. I use it to budget my usage/purchases and I try to keep under the 600units per month limit.

koeks525

Expert Member
Yoh... perhaps I should top up extra today before the new rates come into play tomorrow... I am a CoCT prepaid customer.

BuckRogers

Yoh... perhaps I should top up extra today before the new rates come into play tomorrow... I am a CoCT prepaid customer.
I bought R5k today - as long as you continue buying the 600 units monthly.
It is a worthwhile saving.

yebocan

Honorary Master
just converted all my Discovery Miles/coins/wttf its called to prepaid electricity vouchers...never realised that get them at a discounted rate - its tied to your Vitality rating.

isie

Honorary Master
As far as I know, eskom direct customers got the increase in April/May already ? Certain I am getting less units for the same amount for the last two months.
yes eskom direct went up in April - that they usual increase time

The Magster

Quite a few comments about the DA going along with the increases. And so they should! They need the extra income to send people to school/college/university to legally earn that certificate they boast about having on their CV!