Electricity price hikes kick in tomorrow (1 July 2021)

N@t3

And all the brain dead cANCer voters will still vote to get poor, really sh*t in the brains. lol

Lupus

Honorary Master
And all the brain dead cANCer voters will still vote to get poor, really sh*t in the brains. lol
The scary thing is the lack of voters, that is basically throwing your vote in with the ANC.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I was wondering how he got to that usage.

Halogen lights vs Led
CRT TVs vs Led tvs
Old school fridges?
Heaters everywhere even in Summer?

I have 3 fridges, 3 tvs, 3 garage doors motorised, 2 pumps, 2 aircons and all the other normal trappings and I only use 600kw per month (I just buy 600).
I look on our smart meter, could be BS.

Kawak

What about Ekhuruleni ??

No mention of the 31% increase in the 0 to 600kw band on IBT tarrif. The tarrif that will affect most of the customers in middle to low income households

Then lets not talk about the waste and sanitation increases that are in the 1000's of % increase in some bands.

ANC is a stuff up and DA has also been largely very quiet on this

Property valuations went up by 30%+, this is when the garbage line the streets, grass is not cut, ever, i can literally selfie myself at a park and pass it for a trip to a game farm, one has to be "creative" around the garbage sorting facilities created by recyclers of course.

More solar panels, prepare to go off grid.

Last edited:

Kawak

It's quite easy to get to that type of usage in a freestanding house.

Even before I started renting out my garden cottage, my usage was just as high. Its slightly more now.

All lights are led but have about 7*20w led floodlights running the whole night on a day night switch.
Cooking with gas stove and oven
4 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms
Pool pump
Evacuated tube solar geyser
Well pump + jet pump feeding water to the entire house
Pond pump
Electric fence
2 inverter and 1 non inverter aircon (12000btu, 24000btu and 12000btu respectively) which are only used in summer.
No electrical heating as we have a wood fireplace
1 fridge and 1 deep freeze
Tumble dryer but only in winter and maybe 3 times per week
3 TVs
Been to cup coffee machine that gets used about 7 times per day
14kg top loader washing machine

This list is not exhaustive but I'm using 40kWh per day in winter and close to 55kwh per day in summer.
Get yourself evaporative coolers. From your usage case, you'll break even in 3 years tops. It's also fresh, moisturised air for the entire house.

I have similar setup as yours, minus the tumble dryer and aircon, induction stove and electric oven, I had a drying room built on my previous renovation, works wonders even in rainy weather. Monthly, 700kwh.

Gaz{M}

Executive Member
Paying over R3.00 per kWh on higher Tshwane tariff block. Almost cheaper to run a generator in my own backyard. Ridiculous.

AchmatK

Executive Member
Paying over R3.00 per kWh on higher Tshwane tariff block. Almost cheaper to run a generator in my own backyard. Ridiculous.
Slowly but surely Eskom is out pricing themselves out of the electricity generating market.

Actually not slowly. They've already priced themselves out of the market.

cr@zydude

Executive Member

You must have access to very cheaper diesel, an incredibly efficient generator or both. I'd estimate a kwh from a diesel generator at R6, excluding maintenance, and cost of purchase.

maumau

Honorary Master
And winter time we definitely use much more compared to summer.

I used to always have about 100-130 units over when I recharge,now it’s less then 40!

... and for some of us solar isn't an option.

BuckRogers

You must have access to very cheaper diesel, an incredibly efficient generator or both. I'd estimate a kwh from a diesel generator at R6, excluding maintenance, and cost of purchase.
Yes you are right, about double the price to generate your own kwh versus buying it at current rates. But the point is that it is not day and night differences anymore. And if you can buy fuel without the road taxes, you might actually come in cheaper.