Electricity usage (and costs) of common household appliances

bratwurst

Expert Member
It seems impossible yet the electrician told us that's normal for a house with 2 geysers :wtf:

Pool 6 hrs p.d
2 x PCs 24 hrs p.d
1 x Mac 24 hrs p.d
5 x TVs 24 hrs p.d.
2 x 150l geysers (4 x cleanliness maniacs who shower at least once a day)
2 x loads washing per day (same cleanliness maniacs wear a thick hoodie once then wash it). A+ rated Miele washing machine.
1 x dishwasher every 2 days.
10 x day/night garden lights

Fridge gets opened quite often - normal use

Please can somebody work out for me what 10 x 14w garden lights cost per day if they're on for 10 hours at R1.32 kWh. I've confused myself with all the zeroes :)

P.S. ordered one of those sonoff plugs from geewiz so we should get an idea soon of where the power's going.
5 TVs on 24 hours per day?

And how do you pay R1.32 per kW?

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Guys I'm looking at buying the Efergy E2 to check my domestics usage.

Is this product still the one to go for or are there others now I can look at ?

maumau

Honorary Master
140W over 10 hours is about 1.4KWH a day so about R1.90 a day more or less
Thank you isie.

Computers could be using a fair chunk of that. Maybe turn those off?
Really? Didn't realise Pcs would use a lot. Two students - poor guys study well into the night and this week left at 6:00am to beat traffic and arrive in Midrand in time for exams at 8:30am.

Same with geysers. Put them on a timer to be ready when needed for showers.
I have facilities to do this and will see if we can work out a schedule. Thing is we're in and out all day with different working hours/class routine.

Also are your TVs on 24 hours a day?
Yes they are, but now I think about it it's a bit ridiculous since each TV is used for maximum 3 hours a day.

isie

Honorary Master
Thank you isie.

Really? Didn't realise Pcs would use a lot. Two students - poor guys study well into the night and this week left at 6:00am to beat traffic and arrive in Midrand in time for exams at 8:30am.

I have facilities to do this and will see if we can work out a schedule. Thing is we're in and out all day with different working hours/class routine.

IF going for a timer you have to consider a few factors, do they all shower at the same time , if not you have to factor in how many hours the geyser will be on compared to leaving as is. Its a bit complicated i have my geyser on only in the AM for about an hour covers a shower for us, if any one needs to use the shower later in the afternoon it goes on for 40 minutes before its needed , that adds like an extra 3 or 4 KW for that day. so if you having to say have it on 1 hour at a time say 3 or 4 times it might be cheaper , but of you have it an hour at a time 5 or more it may end up using more electricity.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Thank you isie.

Yes they are, but now I think about it it's a bit ridiculous since each TV is used for maximum 3 hours a day.
Depending on the spec of a PC it can, the average PC is about 300watts an hour which doesn't sound like a lot but if it's on 24 hours that's 7 units already, if you've got two of them that's 14, if it's a gaming PC it maybe a bit higher. Depending on the TV and the size that could use (9 to 15 units a day), your pool pump would be 4.5 to 9 units a day (depending on size again), the geysers can be between 4 to 9 units a day (depending on if you empty them consistently and they have to fully warm up)
The dishwasher is 2 units a cycle, the washing machine is also about 2 units a cycle (these are full cycles).
So the things to cut back on electricity are the PCs, the TVs and also getting people into more of rhythm, unless you're happy using 1350 units a month between 5 people?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Enable Power saving on the pcs. Let them go into suspend mode. Quick to start again and much more efficient.

maumau

Honorary Master
Depending on the spec of a PC it can, the average PC is about 300watts an hour which doesn't sound like a lot but if it's on 24 hours that's 7 units already, if you've got two of them that's 14, if it's a gaming PC it maybe a bit higher. Depending on the TV and the size that could use (9 to 15 units a day), your pool pump would be 4.5 to 9 units a day (depending on size again), the geysers can be between 4 to 9 units a day (depending on if you empty them consistently and they have to fully warm up)
The dishwasher is 2 units a cycle, the washing machine is also about 2 units a cycle (these are full cycles).
So the things to cut back on electricity are the PCs, the TVs and also getting people into more of rhythm, unless you're happy using 1350 units a month between 5 people?
Appreciate these details Lupus. Two huge TVs are in standby mode all day so from now on they'll be switched off at night and I'll ask the users to put their PC into power saving mode as per Sinbad.

Enable Power saving on the pcs. Let them go into suspend mode. Quick to start again and much more efficient.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Appreciate these details Lupus. Two huge TVs are in standby mode all day so from now on they'll be switched off at night and I'll ask the users to put their PC into power saving mode as per Sinbad.
Also look at lights, the old incandescent lights can chew through electricity as well, LED is becoming really affordable and the light it provides is much better then those CCFL energy savers.

isie

Honorary Master
Anyone else know what the rates are for the electricity they buy. Just saw this on ABSA when I bought some.

85.4 KWh @ 133.88 c/KWh
300.0 KWh @ 163.16 c/KWh
8.9 KWh @ 182.74 c/KWh
Total 394.30 kWh

Electricity R620.02
VAT R86.78
Total R706.80

That's BS pricing :mad:
which municipality?

I'm on Eskom direct on home light Tariff
0-600 KWH R1.28
600+ KWH R2.17
including vat

I buy for 600 Unitsa month but i don't use that much

bratwurst

Expert Member
which municipality?

0-600 KWHR1.28
600+ KWHR2.17
including vat

What area is this for?
How does one move to this light option? I'm paying 1.90 or something per kW. Also using under 600 units a month.

maumau

Honorary Master
which municipality?

0-600 KWH R1.28
600+ KWH R2.17
including vat

Johannesburg Municipality:
Block 1 maximum size 500 @ R116.16
Block 2 maximum size 1000 @ R131.97
Block 3 maximum size 2000 @ R141.70
Block 4 maximum size 3000 @ R160.08
Block 5 maximum size 300,000 @ R173.48

All excluding VAT.

maumau

Honorary Master
Also look at lights, the old incandescent lights can chew through electricity as well, LED is becoming really affordable and the light it provides is much better then those CCFL energy savers.
Most of our globes are those curly ones but looking at pics on google they probably aren't LED. Garden lights would be the place to start. I'll have to buy one or two at a time because they're quite expensive.

isie

Honorary Master
What area is this for?
How does one move to this light option? I'm paying 1.90 or something per kW. Also using under 600 units a month.
The Tarif is available to any one directly with Eskom
It costs about R900 bucks to convert. There is a limit though on the amperage (60 or 80 not sure exactly) so if you have high power equipment you can't go on this tariff.
If you check your slips when you buy electricity you will notice there's a network charge comes to about R3 a day (so +/- R90 a month) so you make back your R900 in 10 months

isie

Honorary Master
Most of our globes are those curly ones but looking at pics on google they probably aren't LED. Garden lights would be the place to start. I'll have to buy one or two at a time because they're quite expensive.
squigly ones are energy savers, use less then incandescent but LED is the way to go to save more.

BertKu

Anyone have a good idea on a laptop's power usage?
This depends whether you charger is all the time powering your laptop. It varies from 1 Ampere to 3 Ampere /18 Volt. with an efficiency of 84% gives you an average of (1,5 x 18 )/0.84 x 24 hours = 772 watts per day = per month 23 kwh or units. We pay R1.60 per kwh and that means R36,- having it on all the time. I normally remove the charger after use, which saves me about 20 Rand per laptop ( I have 3 running). Trust that this helps you. I like to live in the area which charges 40.1 cents/kwh instead of 1,60. I think the calculations are some 20 years old with 40.1 cents /kwh Bert