Electricity usage (and costs) of common household appliances

eltherza

Expert Member
This depends whether you charger is all the time powering your laptop. It varies from 1 Ampere to 3 Ampere /18 Volt. with an efficiency of 84% gives you an average of (1,5 x 18 )/0.84 x 24 hours = 772 watts per day = per month 23 kwh or units. We pay R1.60 per kwh and that means R36,- having it on all the time. I normally remove the charger after use, which saves me about 20 Rand per laptop ( I have 3 running). Trust that this helps you. I like to live in the area which charges 40.1 cents/kwh instead of 1,60. I think the calculations are some 20 years old with 40.1 cents /kwh Bert
Wow, 10 years later...

DeSLAM

amazing how we went from stage 4 - with a threat of stage 5, to no blackouts in 48 hours...isn't it?

So what golden goose laid an egg where?

thechamp

Honorary Master
amazing how we went from stage 4 - with a threat of stage 5, to no blackouts in 48 hours...isn't it?

Where did the threats of stage 5 come from? it was the usual naysayers not Eskom or government.

AntennaMan

Expert Member

Randburg had a large outage for about two days. I believe we saved the country. You can thank me anytime.

DeSLAM

What was very interesting to observe is how poorly the telecom infrastructure is equipped in SA to sustain itself under the conditions of the past 10 days, exchanges started failing, national road security cameras started failing and more... as their backup power supplies could not keep enough charge to run, as the blackout frequency was too high per 24 hour cycle.

Thor

Honorary Master

Moody's landed on Sunday so loadshedding will be back friday when they leave.