Electricity usage (and costs) of common household appliances

Dan C

Honorary Master
The PC is a iCore 7, SSD C: drive, 500 gig D: drive with a Geforce 520 graphics card and playing UT99 online, I also tried DNF and it was the same.
The Microwave, yes it is a 2 KW job that the insurance company gave us when our LG kicked the bucket.
We hardly ever use it as even if you select Med or Defrost, it still uses 2+ Kw. :(
During gaming mine uses 200 watt more than idle :crying:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
How much does an over use? I can google the wattage...but its not going to be on permanently due to thermostat. So 1 hour of oven usage?

Same for induction stoves. Hate that they do that.
Same for my electric stove.

ProAsm

Expert Member
Another item I tested today which draws a lot less than I thought :)
Single bed Electric Blanket.
Position 1 = 120 ma - 28 watts
Position 2 = 200 ma - 48 watts
Position 3 = 300 ma - 70 watts

GoldTip

Interesting news

I found out that an urn uses less electricity and is cheaper than a kettle. :wtf: :eek:

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I found out that an urn uses less electricity and is cheaper than a kettle. :wtf: :eek:
If it's insulated, yes cheaper.
We have a urn in our office kitchen. A lot of people still use the kettle instead of just using water out of the urn. I asked why and guess what...."cause that water does not taste the same in my coffee". ****ing honestly. I use that water and it is just as hot as the kettle water and tastes exactly the same. /sigh

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
We have a urn in our office kitchen. A lot of people still use the kettle instead of just using water out of the urn. I asked why and guess what...."cause that water does not taste the same in my coffee". ****ing honestly. I use that water and it is just as hot as the kettle water and tastes exactly the same. /sigh
Can't use those urns for coffee, the water isn't hot enough. I'm glad ours at the office broke (twice), now I make my plunger coffee at the office again.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Can't use those urns for coffee, the water isn't hot enough. I'm glad ours at the office broke (twice), now I make my plunger coffee at the office again.
It is hot enough for me. You obviously a coffee snob with your fancy plunger brew. :p

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
It is hot enough for me. You obviously a coffee snob with your fancy plunger brew. :p
:D I grind my coffee in the mornings at home and bring it to the office. Not going to bugger up freshly ground beans with lukewarm water!

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
:D I grind my coffee in the mornings at home and bring it to the office. Not going to bugger up freshly ground beans with lukewarm water!
I want your grind wastage. My sister makes bath scrub with it. :D

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I read this:

And this:

and spent some time trying to think what "grind wastage" might be...
Nee man. You take the wastage of coffee grinds, mix it with brown sugar and coconut oil and then freeze it in little muffin pans.

alanB

beatlexx

For those of you who have collected good reliable power consumption figures for your various appliances, why not contribute those to the broader community by loading that info in our database? http://powersaving.co.za/appliance-ratings/appliance-power-data-entry/

We upload that data periodically into a neat searchable table that can be sorted etc. Check it out, it may be useful http://powersaving.co.za/appliance-ratings/
Hi alanB. I think it is a good suggestion. It will give us a good idea of what power is consumed by an appliance. A column I am missing or not seeing in your database is the start-up power used by motors. Maybe that can be added.

alanB

Thanks for the feedback, its always useful!

I've found when asking people to enter data its best to keep things as short and simple as possible - too much complexity just either puts people off or confuses them and then you get strange results.

So for now we are just trying to concentrate on the most important info and then maybe we can expand the data set later.

BTW, one of the problems with startup current is that the spike often is so fast that very few instruments can properly measure it (you need something like a high resolution power quality meter), so different instruments are going to record different values for the same thing depending on their resolution.

Also start-up spikes are quite variable - depending on all sorts of things like where exactly on the sinewave the start-up initiated and what the load was etc etc. All of which just adds complexity - while most people just want simplified data to work with.

But start-up spikes are an issue nevertheless http://powersaving.co.za/alternative-power/inverter-overload/, so it would be nice to provide that info as well in the future.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
Does someone here know if a hair straightener uses a lot of electricity?

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Does someone here know if a hair straightener uses a lot of electricity?
Check on the box or info plate. It's probably between 1000 and 2000 watts but not sure what the duty cycle would be.

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
No box, just says 150w on the device itself and that you should not use it in the shower. It's a GHD. Would just like to know if it uses a lot of electricity or not really, just for interests sake