• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • Win an Amazon Echo Dot in this two-day giveaway - Enter Here

Electricity usage (and costs) of common household appliances

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Hi guys. How much does it cost per hour to run a swimming pool pump? Guys came out to service the pump and change sand and do a few other things to the pool today and the guy said to run the pump everyday for hours....but not to worry....it only costs R1.00 per hour or so to run it. Can that be right?

thehuman

Expert Member
Hi guys. How much does it cost per hour to run a swimming pool pump? Guys came out to service the pump and change sand and do a few other things to the pool today and the guy said to run the pump everyday for hours....but not to worry....it only costs R1.00 per hour or so to run it. Can that be right?
Look for a specifications label on the pump . Will be a kw rating

Sinbad

Honorary Master
It's about right
most pool pumps are 0.75kw

DanH

Expert Member
I would say a standard pool pump is 1.1kw. Its more common to fit the smaller 0.75kw motor on new installs though these days as its still enough to run a kreepy.

You do get 0.45, 0.75, 1.1, 1.3, 1.5kw motors all with the same pump housing so you would need to look on the plate on the side/top of the pump to be sure.

P924

Expert Member
I would say a standard pool pump is 1.1kw. Its more common to fit the smaller 0.75kw motor on new installs though these days as its still enough to run a kreepy.

You do get 0.45, 0.75, 1.1, 1.3, 1.5kw motors all with the same pump housing so you would need to look on the plate on the side/top of the pump to be sure.
Single phase motors in that power range is usually arpund 65%-70% efficient. The rating is the output power, so a 1.1kW motor typically can consume ~1,6kW, but it is also dependant on load.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Every pool pump in every house I've ever lived in, dating back to 1990, has been rated 0.75kw

Mine does pull up to 1kw though, as P924 has stated.

greg_SA

Expert Member
No box, just says 150w on the device itself and that you should not use it in the shower. It's a GHD. Would just like to know if it uses a lot of electricity or not really, just for interests sake
They can definitely draw peaks of 300W when they heat up.

Why don't the people make use of the sewerage that heaps up at the sewerage farms the can accumulat the gas in huge plastic containers and use the gas to run waterpumps that has gas generators it should reduce electricity usage greatly and also reduce water costs aswell

The_Traveller

Expert Member
Why don't the people make use of the sewerage that heaps up at the sewerage farms the can accumulat the gas in huge plastic containers and use the gas to run waterpumps that has gas generators it should reduce electricity usage greatly and also reduce water costs aswell
Why don't the people make use of the punctuation ....

DeSLAM

Can someone with the Efergy post a pic of the DB showing the setup ? TIA.
Very easy just clip it around the thickest red cable in the DB box. You'll see its the main red one going into the box...

We've had ours for years -and you can download the data to a computer - have kept records now for the same period - and you can establish exactly how much energy each and every device in your home uses....Was well worth spending the money on it.

Dolby

Honorary Master
I bought one of these http://www.smartkit.co.za/product/sonoff-pow/ (Disclaimer : our own store) as I was curious about my electricity use. I was sitting at 750 units in June and took it down to 433 in September by being a little more proactive on switching things off / standby etc. Also knowing what was using my power.

I connected one unit to an old deep freezer and the other to a multiplug, with my entertainment goodies (power amp / processor / PS4 and a music streamer). It shows both current and historical use of anything going through and very easy to install.

I think multiplug is a great way to see what things are using. After this month, I'll be moving to my PCs / printer etc to see what they use

pow.jpg