Electronic driver's licence coming to South Africa

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Electronic driver's licence coming to South Africa

South Africa is set to introduce a new mobile or e-driving licence which will give motorists the option to apply for a physical card and electronic driver’s licence.

This was revealed in the Driving Licence Card Account’s (DLCA’s) annual performance plan for 2021/2022.

The DLCA was established in 1997 in terms of the Public Finance Management Act under the Department of Transport to produce and deliver driving licence cards.

phoneJunky

Executive Member
I guess this is a step in the right direction, but shouldn't we just have a digital ID where all these things link to?

Like with the ID it can then check the validity of your license, passport, vaccine id etc

Bismuth

Expert Member
I guess this is a step in the right direction, but shouldn't we just have a digital ID where all these things link to?

Like with the ID it can then check the validity of your license, passport, vaccine id etc

That's what they're heading towards ultimately... and not just here, worldwide.

Corelli

Expert Member
Great idea. Our cars should resemble the ID cards not some DIY laminated version.

But I think its brilliant. I see Home Affairs is pretty hectic with identity management and Blockchain too. Now to digitize all our documents.

We are quick to blame them but in all honesty I work for a large banking company and the staff in the filing section doesnt want change. They are so reluctant because for say the past 30 years most of them have been proud to have control of client files and now with digitizing they would become obsolete somewhat. People dont like change whether its in a billion dollar company or home affairs. We came out of school, got put in a routine for 30 years, and now you want us to give that up? Seriously.

But great work traffic department.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
ql05mt.gif

Neo_X

Expert Member
i am trying to understand how they will secure this

App will show an electronic copy of your drivers license.

App is secure with ...? username / password or phone number?

i smell a scam starting with number porting and ID theft.

sigh

quovadis

Executive Member
Use the existing "Smart" ID card and store the licenses and codes on it. Give law enforcement the ability to scan the card to verify.

Zukat

Expert Member
For those suggesting to take a picture of the license. I have front and back of my driver's license on my Samsung Pay app, got stopped at a roadblock and fined for failing to present the card.

rockNsurf

More tech, bigger bribes.
Would have been better if they just increased the renewal period to 10 years for driver's license, and 5 years for vehicle license.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Use the existing "Smart" ID card and store the licenses and codes on it. Give law enforcement the ability to scan the card to verify.
It's read-only for a reason.

For those suggesting to take a picture of the license. I have front and back of my driver's license on my Samsung Pay app, got stopped at a roadblock and fined for failing to present the card.
That's because all the details on the license card is contained in the barcode on the card.

Hamster

Resident Rodent

I'm not 100% sure but I dot think permanent residents get an ID number.

That's the only problem I can think off, because what you are describing is how Europe or parts of it work.