Ellies bringing Nokia TVs to South Africa

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
It's not rocket science. Just remove the tuners from the TV's before bringing them to market.

I would hazard a guess it largely relates to the fact that we aren't a big enough market to justify making a unique "motherboard" for.

The rest of the world still wants TVs with tuners in them, so we get them as well.

epah

Expert Member
It's not rocket science. Just remove the tuners from the TV's before bringing them to market.
How am i going to fund you when you have just told the whole world our money making idea? we are not going to be billionaires now. eish

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I would hazard a guess it largely relates to the fact that we aren't a big enough market to justify making a unique "motherboard" for.

The rest of the world still wants TVs with tuners in them, so we get them as well.

I have an old Mecer smart panel that broke the other day, so I decided to take it apart to see how it worked, and it has the exact same motherboard in it that a lot of Sony TV's have in them, except that where the tuners would normally be, there was just a blank area on the circuit board with a white outline. So essentially these smart panels use exactly the same hardware as normal TV's, just with the actual tuner not soldered into the motherboard.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Each time I hear the name Nokia, reminds me of the adult store I want to start:

Nookia - Erecting people

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I have an old Mecer smart panel that broke the other day, so I decided to take it apart to see how it worked, and it has the exact same motherboard in it that a lot of Sony TV's have in them, except that where the tuners would normally be, there was just a blank area on the circuit board with a white outline. So essentially these smart panels use exactly the same hardware as normal TV's, just with the actual tuner not soldered into the motherboard.

For Mecer, I would guess they're buying boards at scale from a place like Sony.. and panels from somewhere else and doing some form of "assembly" at a central location with the various parts they order....

Gets trickier for a company like Sony or Samsung to have different parts for roughly the same TV to run in the same production line, I doubt the manufacturing/assembly process is geared for that sort of differentiation.

The_MAC

Executive Member
For Mecer, I would guess they're buying boards at scale from a place like Sony.. and panels from somewhere else and doing some form of "assembly" at a central location with the various parts they order....

Gets trickier for a company like Sony or Samsung to have different parts for roughly the same TV to run in the same production line, I doubt the manufacturing/assembly process is geared for that sort of differentiation.
Ask Woolies how they do it with their apple juice..

Johand

Expert Member
So this has nothing to do with the actual Nokia Corporation but rather the leased out brandname of "Nokia" similar to how the Nokia phones are licensed by HMD Global.
As long as they're good value for money, who cares right. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well when it comes to phones HMD is pretty much Nokia - they have offices across the road staffed by ex-Nokia employees. Nokia phones are really pretty good. No bloat ware, solid design and better Android updates than most..
Nokia is a company who sells only 1 product: their brand name, to paste onto cheap (Chinese?} products...
I have bad news for you about all the other phones you can buy...

Vorastra

Executive Member
Well when it comes to phones HMD is pretty much Nokia - they have offices across the road staffed by ex-Nokia employees. Nokia phones are really pretty good. No bloat ware, solid design and better Android updates than most..
Yes, but it's still not owned by Nokia. Nokia licenses the name to them. But yes, I get your point.
I used to have a Nokia 8 until the IPS screen started developing a pink hue around the edges.

Totempole

Expert Member
Nokia is a company who sells only 1 product: their brand name, to paste onto cheap (Chinese?} products...
Agreed, everything consumer based is outsourced now.

Back in the day, they made some really decent CRT computer monitors that were up there with NEC, but weren't really available to the general public and were actually just used in corporate environments.

fl7qbz5vqpe61.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
The 2x streaming boxes are catching my eye: