Ematic 4K Ultra HD Android TV Box (AGT419) Feedback

KinsZA

Expert Member
Hi

Since I received this box today, having tried oh so many in the past I can finally say I've found a box which ticks all the box's as a media option and am happy to answer any questions, I am not associated in any way Nology or Ematic.

My setup is Ematic ---> Samsung 4k TV ---> Onkyo 5.1 reciever via ARC HDMI with speaker settings locked on 5.1
Ethernet for connectivity.

I did confirm that this is a rebranded Ematic Jetstream AGT418 that is sold in america (Contacted nology about this)

My experience as a media player, did not bother testing gaming as am familiar with S905X box's and with the low storage space and memory I don't think this is something you would buy for it.

Pro's
  • Dolby Digital output confirmed working just fine through Youtube, Google Play, Netflix and Kodi
  • 4K HDR smooth
  • Interface Snappy
  • Casting to device
  • Remote buttons nice and snappy
  • HDMI-CEC works
  • Interface smooth
  • Google assistant integration flawless.
Con's
  • Initial setup didnt take well, couldnt cast to the device, had to restart and try again
  • Would have liked more than 8GB local storage

If you want me to try anything out or confirm, let me know.
I know it can be hard to find the right thing.

joshuatree

Expert Member
So does casting work flawlessly now after the initial " restart " or rather reboot I presume ?

Casting is pivotal to most that know how to optimise the use of it and most streaming apps ( unofficial or official ) incorporate it.

Akirky

Expert Member
I have had mine for a few days now, and it has been faultless. My setup was easy, and had no problems casting.

KinsZA

Expert Member
So does casting work flawlessly now after the initial " restart " or rather reboot I presume ?

Casting is pivotal to most that know how to optimise the use of it and most streaming apps ( unofficial or official ) incorporate it.

I mirrored my Nokia 8 screen to it via cast, told google assistant on my phone to play a youtube video on it.
It Works great. As far as my experiance goes, screen mirroring and google assistant integration requires full chromecast support. When you look at the version of cast in settings it matches up with googles Android TV latest version.

I am chalking the software thing down to being android really.

Hope that answers your question.

KinsZA

Expert Member
Can it pass-through HD sound formats? e.g. DTS-HD?
No it cannot,it's not a hardware thing but a google thing, they killed it off on Android TV, so anyone who has managed to make it work has had to put a hack in place for it.

I've noticed over time that less and less devices have been doing this and/or it has stopped working on them.

If you want pass through on a TV box you are going to have to give up the android part and run something like Libreelec on the SD card and dual boot into android. I have not tried this with the ematic box as my lit box has it like that so cant really test it.

Last edited:

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
If anyone is looking we have them for sale at R1345 here: https://www.smartkit.co.za/product/ematic-android-tv-box-agt419/

As you may (or may not know) we've been active in the LIT box thread for a while now and have a very active home automation thread on the forum... So we're always available here.

Hint: you can turn your lights on and off using voice commands on the Ematic!

Free shipping on the Ematic for all MyBroadband forumites, just use the coupon code MYEMATIC

Meyrcruywagen

Got this box yesterday. Everything works fine, except DSVTV Now don't want to register the device. When I go to the "Register this device" button, and click OK nothing happens, I can go back, but unable to register.
Its not the remote, not my account. After the failure I tried registering my Skyworth box with the same DSTV details and the device registered.
Can anyone confirm if they got it working? If it is the box I want to know so it can be returned. Any thoughts?

Akirky

Expert Member
Got this box yesterday. Everything works fine, except DSVTV Now don't want to register the device. When I go to the "Register this device" button, and click OK nothing happens, I can go back, but unable to register.
Its not the remote, not my account. After the failure I tried registering my Skyworth box with the same DSTV details and the device registered.
Can anyone confirm if they got it working? If it is the box I want to know so it can be returned. Any thoughts?
I will try tonight and let you know.

Komatist

How many devices do you have registered with the same account details? I know there is a limit of 4 devices, of which 2 can view content simultaneously. T&C Page 5 for reference, 6.1 being the relevant paragraph

Dolby

Honorary Master
It won't be the Ematic - either something with DSTV Now or your account. The box is one of few around that are Google Certified, so no issues with DSTV

Georgios

If you contact DStv chat support and give them the device ID to manually add to your account. That may work.

Akirky

Expert Member
I had no registration problems. Works fine.

Gudnews

If you contact DStv chat support and give them the device ID to manually add to your account. That may work.

https://community.dstv.com/t5/forums/recentPostspage

vrk

Hello, I have purchased the Ematic unit and have a very strange issue. I have an Onkyo Amplifier (TX-818). The TV box if connected to the TV directly (HDMI) has no issue, however when I connect it to the amplifier, there is not picture and the HDMI light on the amplifier flashes and "no signal" is displayed on the amp. All the channels are working on the amplifier as I tested using other sources like DSTV, Blueray players etc.
Can anyone assist with a possible solution to this problem which is very strange....

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Hello, I have purchased the Ematic unit and have a very strange issue. I have an Onkyo Amplifier (TX-818). The TV box if connected to the TV directly (HDMI) has no issue, however when I connect it to the amplifier, there is not picture and the HDMI light on the amplifier flashes and "no signal" is displayed on the amp. All the channels are working on the amplifier as I tested using other sources like DSTV, Blueray players etc.
Can anyone assist with a possible solution to this problem which is very strange....
@nology?

xbmcfan

Is the HDMI cable from the Amplifier to the TV, the same HDMI 2.0 or 1.4 specifications as the one from the tv box to the amplifier? If not then it will cause problems. You might need a new 2.0 cable while the amplifier only supports 1.4 HDMI or vice versa. The HDCP(HDMI copy protection) 2.1/2.2 also needs to match for the tv, avr and tv box and you can't use a 2.2 tv box with an avr that only supports 2.1 since it's not backwards compatible from v2.2.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Also the tv box won't do HD Audio passthrough with your receiver since it's firmware excludes support for it.

If you want HD Audio or real 4K playback, it's better to get a S922x Amlogic media player supporting CoreELEC/LibreELEC. You will then also have 8K@30hz VP9 video playback support and it will be future proof.