Ematic 4K Ultra HD Android TV Box (AGT419) Feedback

Gudnews

Expert Member
We are busy working on a new version, without committing to a timeframe we should be able to push it before the end of the year.
Android 10 on 2GB of ram and an ageing chipset. If phones are anything to go by, I think I'll pass. If we got HD surround by some miracle, I'm game.

Dolby

Honorary Master
Android 10 on 2GB of ram and an ageing chipset. If phones are anything to go by, I think I'll pass. If we got HD surround by some miracle, I'm game.
Android TV 9 actually used less resources than Android TV 8. If I recall, even Google said that it could run on 1GB RAM.

Unsure about 10 though

Gudnews

Expert Member
Android TV 9 actually used less resources than Android TV 8. If I recall, even Google said that it could run on 1GB RAM.

Unsure about 10 though
I never believe the less resources spiel but then again I'm no techie.

Electron1

Expert Member
We are busy working on a new version, without committing to a timeframe we should be able to push it before the end of the year.
@Nology, for how long will support continue for the Ematic? Is is a safe purchase to use for Netflix? Is there a planned end of life for the Ematic?

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
@Nology, for how long will support continue for the Ematic? Is is a safe purchase to use for Netflix? Is there a planned end of life for the Ematic?

Can I ask you, how long do you want it to be supported for?

When you buy a TV do you as the Sales Droid, how long spare parts, will be available to repair it?

Or should I not ask.

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
Working on an average price for it of around R 1,350, when you amortise that purchase cost over 3 years (36 Months), that works out to an outlay of only R 37.50 per month - or a miserly R 1.25 per day - a very reasonable cost for the entertainment value it would have provided you with over that period.

So even if you would need to then replace it with an newer model after the initial 3-year period of ownership (due to baked-in hardware & software obsolescence), you would still be able to do so again for almost exactly the same cost-benefit calculation as well.

:whistling:

Last edited:

Electron1

Expert Member
So in response to the above comments If I buy one today, can I expect support for the next year, 2 years, 3 years , maybe more. I don't want to fork out the money to find out in 6 months I am in the same position as I am with the LIT box.

joshuatree

Expert Member
So in response to the above comments If I buy one today, can I expect support for the next year, 2 years, 3 years , maybe more. I don't want to fork out the money to find out in 6 months I am in the same position as I am with the LIT box.
Just go Chromecast with Google TV.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

So when did you buy the LIT box - yesterday?

You pays your money and takes your chances, how it works. You make your choice and suffer the consequences later.

If buying a streaming box causes you such angst, gives you stomach ulcers, please do us all a favour, and go buy a Shield TV streaming box, the 2015 version still gets updates and support.

Last edited:

Gudnews

Expert Member
My device goes to sleep even though I'm playing music in Kodi, is this supposed to happened? Prevention?

stevenphill

Anybody know where to get a replacement remote? It was previously covered, but the links are outdated and everywhere seems out of stock. Thank You

Dolby

Honorary Master
Anybody know where to get a replacement remote? It was previously covered, but the links are outdated and everywhere seems out of stock. Thank You
There were two places that I know of - tech.co.za and smartshack.co.za

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
So, the eMatic AGT-419 Android box that I set up for my brother last month, has now updated the DSTVNow app to the latest version sometime during the last 12 hours or so - there was much swearing & cursing at the totally different interface layout & menus when he fired it up earlier this afternoon to watch motorsport programming... especially the completely restructured 'TV Guide scrolling format' for selecting Live TV channels - and the glacial interface lag when using the remote to scroll or select various menu options...

Sinclair_ZX81_Setup_PhotoManipped.jpg

killerbyte

Expert Member
So, the eMatic AGT-419 Android box that I set up for my brother last month, has now updated the DSTVNow app to the latest version sometime during the last 12 hours or so - there was much swearing & cursing at the totally different interface layout & menus when he fired it up earlier this afternoon to watch motorsport programming... especially the completely restructured 'TV Guide scrolling format' for selecting Live TV channels - and the glacial interface lag when using the remote to scroll or select various menu options...
The latest DSTV app is a total nightmare.