Embarcadero Delphi named developer language of choice for South African schools

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Hmm in school we used to learn with Pascal ( Delphi predecessor ). For programming basics, it was fine but with Microsoft offering VS Community Edition, why not use that and teach c# as a language?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This seems to be a retarded choice in my opinion, given how easy it is to get your hands on MS Visual Studio stuff, and I'm pretty damn sure on a cost basis, MS wouldn't be that far out from Delphi....

I can only imagine that the previous usage of Pascal and Delphi helped confirm this decision, and in some ways its to the detriment of the students since they won't be learning the languages most companies are using these days. I actually can't name any companies or development houses still using Delphi in any significant way...

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Language choice aside, the reason this is stupid is because they now are paying licensing fees for an IDE which could've been free if they went with Python or something.

Brentontw

Would've stuck to java, free IDE available, hugely popular. If they wanted to teach more in depth topics like memory management then get them on C++, no Delphi is taught or even used at a university level.

BBotha

In the 90's did Pascal at school, Assembly & C\C++ in Varsity, then once we started working it was VB 5\6 or COBOL, then moved over to C# & Java in the early 00's, and now there is Python, Perl.....

The point is you just need to get proficient in one programming language to get the principals of programming\hacking for the rest of your life.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
In the 90's did Pascal at school, Assembly & C\C++ in Varsity, then once we started working it was VB 5\6 or COBOL, then moved over to C# & Java in the early 00's, and now there is Python, Perl.....

The point is you just need to get proficient in one programming language to get the principals of programming\hacking for the rest of your life.
For a lot of people this is true yes...

But some people may only ever be proficient in one language, and if they were taught a language that is used in the real world it might at least help them get a job in the real world albeit a very junior job but still.

rrh

Expert Member

But some people may only ever be proficient in one language, and if they were taught a language that is used in the real world it might at least help them get a job in the real world albeit a very junior job but still.
+1

freddster

Expert Member
Whaaaaaaaat???? Borland left SA years ago...Delphi is only used these days because of old systems not rewrtitten yet. Be it,, the systems written in Delphi are stable.

Hamster

Resident Rodent

Nobody wants those people. Let them go do something else.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Nobody wants those people. Let them go do something else.
I am not discounting that they are shyte programmers by any means.. but hell you can employ them for peanuts and they can do very very junior stuff. Not everyone wants to or will become a senior developer/systems architect...

But regardless of that aspect.
For the guys who can learn multiple languages (which most coders should be able to do), why start someone on the backfoot of having them have to learn a new language when they start working... It would be better if they were taught in a commercially used language from the start.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I am not discounting that they are shyte programmers by any means.. but hell you can employ them for peanuts and they can do very very junior stuff. Not everyone wants to or will become a senior developer/systems architect...

But regardless of that aspect.
For the guys who can learn multiple languages (which most coders should be able to do), why start someone on the backfoot of having them have to learn a new language when they start working... It would be better if they were taught in a commercially used language from the start.
They'll start from scratch in uni.

If the language will be a barrier for them then they'll probably flunk out anyway. The concern here is the education department forking out money they didn't need to (unless they got that IDE for free).

Would love to see who they consulted on this decision. It might very well be that most of the available "IT" teachers know Delphi and can assist the students (not sure why the teacher won't be able to learn something like Python/Java though).

zippy

Executive Member
It doesnt matter what programming language they are taught in.

I was taught with BASIC. At school we used to write games with BASIC. I moved on to C/C++, Java, Obj-C and SQL on my own without any problems.

EDIT; Rather, children should be taught Computer Science, with exposure to a programming language a small part of the cirruculum

Last edited:

TehStranger

Executive Member
We used Delphi when I was in high school, didn't see the problem until I started doing Python/Java on my own.

zippy

Executive Member
They'll start from scratch in uni.

If the language will be a barrier for them then they'll probably flunk out anyway. The concern here is the education department forking out money they didn't need to (unless they got that IDE for free).

Would love to see who they consulted on this decision. It might very well be that most of the available "IT" teachers know Delphi and can assist the students (not sure why the teacher won't be able to learn something like Python/Java though).
Python and Java are probably the best to teach. Python is easy to learn. There are also loads of free resources. These 2 give a good base and if they want to persue this as a career, they can move on to other languages which are appropriate for the industry they end up in.

EDIT: And if Computer Science is too difficult, they can always learn CSS/JavaSript and become a web developer :)
/runs away

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
in some ways its to the detriment of the students since they won't be learning the languages most companies are using these days. I actually can't name any companies or development houses still using Delphi in any significant way...
Its school...nobody is learning any actual programming there anyway. It more about teaching them a structured way of thinking and for that Delphi isn't bad because its quite structured prescriptive.

Think they also don't want to deal with the teachers having to learn something new...