Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

Merlin

Expert Member
Hi everyone,

I've been working towards a better future for a very long time now. To me, my future isn't in this country.

Like most, Australia and New Zealand feature highly on my list. Out of the two, New Zealand wins me over.

I am 35, Single and a manager in the IT industry, with many years of experience across a broad scope of the industry and a focus on systems administration and networking. I don't have a degree, but I do possess several certificates.

Looking at the Skills Shortages lists for both countries, it does look as if I may be in with a chance.

I'm thinking that dealing with an expert may be my best bet. There are many fly-by-nighters though. Which assistance companies come recommended?

I am based in Cape Town.

Thanks.

Kind regards.

Pilgrim

Wugger
Hi everyone,

I've been working towards a better future for a very long time now. To me, my future isn't in this country.

Like most, Australia and New Zealand feature highly on my list. Out of the two, New Zealand wins me over.

I am 35, Single and a manager in the IT industry, with many years of experience across a broad scope of the industry and a focus on systems administration and networking. I don't have a degree, but I do possess several certificates.

Looking at the Skills Shortages lists for both countries, it does look as if I may be in with a chance.

I'm thinking that dealing with an expert may be my best bet. There are many fly-by-nighters though. Which assistance companies come recommended?

I am based in Cape Town.

Thanks.

Kind regards.
We used New World Immigration for our Aus visa, stunning service I highly recommend them.

If possible see if Olivia can help you.

New World Immigration
Address: 130 Millennium Business Park, Edison Way, Century City, Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: +2721 250 0050 | Email: olivia@nwisouthafrica.co.za | Web: www.nwivisas.com
Registrations: MARA Australia | ICCRC Canada | DHA South Africa | New Zealand

Things to do ASAP:
Go to department of home affairs and get
a. Your Unabridged Birth Certificate
b. Passport if you don't have one or if yours expires in the next 9 months

You will probably need to do an English test. book it the day you know what one you need to do as bookings can take a month or two.

Good luck :)

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
I wouldn't mind a switch to New Zealand either, preferably to Auckland. Going to monitor this thread with interest.

Pilgrim

Wugger
I wouldn't mind a switch to New Zealand either, preferably to Auckland. Going to monitor this thread with interest.
Give NWI a call, they do a free assessment so you know what you can expect.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
If you are interested in Aus, SkylarkMigration.com.au does a free assessment. The business is run by a person who used to work in the migration department so has some interesting insights - also helps he is a nice guy to deal with!

vic777

Expert Member
For interests sake, why NZ instead of Auz? There are more job opportunities in Auz? I'm not knocking NZ, in fact, I've never been, I have been to Auz a few times and know quite a few people that emigrated and that are happy.

I can echo Pilgrim, get your unabridged birth cert ASAP, also you passport renewed if needed. IELTS english tests was a requirement for the old 175 independent skilled visa for Auz a few years ago, I think you needed 8/9 to be eligible.

Good luck!

Merlin

Expert Member
Thanks everyone. :)

Vic: Having spent many years reading, listening, questioning and researching, and with all things considered, I think that NZ would be a better fit for me in terms of the lifestyle that I'm after. I'm quite happy to consider both, with NZ slightly edging ahead.

vic777

Expert Member
Thanks everyone. :)

Vic: Having spent many years reading, listening, questioning and researching, and with all things considered, I think that NZ would be a better fit for me in terms of the lifestyle that I'm after. I'm quite happy to consider both, with NZ slightly edging ahead.
No worries, I think both are excellent choices, hopefully NZ has cheaper houses than Auz, because the house prices in Sydney, for example, are just crazy.

Good luck man, one step at a time, and before you know it, you are there!

Merlin

Expert Member
No worries, I think both are excellent choices, hopefully NZ has cheaper houses than Auz, because the house prices in Sydney, for example, are just crazy.

Good luck man, one step at a time, and before you know it, you are there!
I'm looking at both company's websites at the moment. I think it best that I try and arrange a direct chat with one of their agents, because on paper, I'm not sure that I stack up that great.

I didn't pursue tertiary studies, for several reasons. That said, I have many years of IT experience, occupy a management role now, with a good track record, and have several certificates in the sector.

It slays me that I have so many friends with foreign passports, which gather dust, when all I want to do is get out.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Give NWI a call, they do a free assessment so you know what you can expect.
Thanks!

For interests sake, why NZ instead of Auz? There are more job opportunities in Auz? I'm not knocking NZ, in fact, I've never been, I have been to Auz a few times and know quite a few people that emigrated and that are happy.

I can echo Pilgrim, get your unabridged birth cert ASAP, also you passport renewed if needed. IELTS english tests was a requirement for the old 175 independent skilled visa for Auz a few years ago, I think you needed 8/9 to be eligible.

Good luck!
Aspects I prefer with NZ:

- cooler climate
- higher personal safety
- lower taxes
- much better internet
- no dangerous animals
- easy access to national parks
- better sport
- especially friendly people (allegedly)

Coasti

Expert Member
I am also busy getting all my stuff in order to make a move with a 2-4 year planned time line.
Started off by investigating NZ, but was put off by the reasons for not to live there. Island mentality, too laid back, crazy property prices in Auckland and many more.
Take a weekend and read through https://e2nz.org/ for a 101 reasons not to move to NZ.
At this stage Aus looks like a better option to me.

RandomGeek

At the end of the day, I reckon the only way to pick one is to physically go on holiday to NZ and Oz to feel the "vibe".

Method

Executive Member
Thanks!

Aspects I prefer with NZ:

- cooler climate
- higher personal safety
- lower taxes
- much better internet
- no dangerous animals
- easy access to national parks
- better sport
- especially friendly people (allegedly)
:crylaugh:

Pitbull

Verboten
Between Australia and NZ he is absolutely correct.

EVERYTHING in Australia wants to kill you. It's the only place on earth where nature is actually out to annihilate the human race.

Zarnicate

I went the NZ route in 2009. For me Aus would have been a better bet. Back in SA now. Do your research on what stuff costs vs salary. I found my salary was half of what it was here and stuff cost 4 times more (not everything). Example I had to buy a fridge there which cost me R12 000 where that same fridge here was R4000. Aus has more job opportunites. NZ Auckland is great but anywhere else.... I stayed in New Plymouth with a population of 70 000 people vs Auckland 4mil. Nothing to do or to expensive to do stuff.

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
I am also busy getting all my stuff in order to make a move with a 2-4 year planned time line.
Started off by investigating NZ, but was put off by the reasons for not to live there. Island mentality, too laid back, crazy property prices in Auckland and many more.
Take a weekend and read through https://e2nz.org/ for a 101 reasons not to move to NZ.
At this stage Aus looks like a better option to me.
What a silly website. Pointless generalisations and cherry-picking.

I went the NZ route in 2009. For me Aus would have been a better bet. Back in SA now. Do your research on what stuff costs vs salary. I found my salary was half of what it was here and stuff cost 4 times more (not everything). Example I had to buy a fridge there which cost me R12 000 where that same fridge here was R4000. Aus has more job opportunites. NZ Auckland is great but anywhere else.... I stayed in New Plymouth with a population of 70 000 people vs Auckland 4mil. Nothing to do or to expensive to do stuff.
Auckland has ~1.5m, whole of NZ has ~4.8m.

Are their sauces adequate?