Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

phaktza

Executive Member
At 9pm it should be 15-30 minutes to the test center - it's just off the highway.

I didn't find the test setup distracting. There are partitions, the headphones give enough privacy.
As I said it was 30 mins at about 7.30am from Randburg. I was there an hour early. But this is never guaranteed, especially if there is an issue on the highway

It was sufficient, at Edenvale. I work at home and didn't find the setup distracting.
I could clearly hear the guy to the left of me me speak, clearly enough that I started wondering if everyone got the exact same test or not. He was also not speaking loudly at all.
I never heard a sound from the guy to my right.
I suspect it was because the guy on my right leaned forward, into the cubicle like I did, and the one to the left set back in his chair.

MrJacques

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Seems either one should be fine. Logistically the Sandton one should be easier.

As I said it was 30 mins at about 7.30am from Randburg. I was there an hour early. But this is never guaranteed, especially if there is an issue on the highway
Mind playing uber for me in a few weeks? :p

Edit: No bookings available in Sandton for when I'm in Jhb, so I've booked for Edenvale. I'll decide on how to get there closer to the time, but maybe taking the train to the airport and then an uber to Edenvale might even be an option?

Last edited:

phaktza

Executive Member
Thanks guys, much appreciated. Seems either one should be fine. Logistically the Sandton one should be easier.

Mind playing uber for me in a few weeks?

Edit: No bookings available in Sandton for when I'm in Jhb, so I've booked for Edenvale. I'll decide on how to get there closer to the time, but maybe taking the train to the airport and then an uber to Edenvale might even be an option?
Gautrain might be the quickest way out of Sandton.

Train to Marlboro and then 10 minute Uber? Has anyone ever got off at that station?

Otherwise Rhodesfield and a 15 minute Uber to Edenvale.

RandomGeek

Mind playing uber for me in a few weeks? :p

Good luck. Now please don't go wild the evening before the test as part of the team building :laugh:

MrJacques

I've started preparing for the PTE by looking at their provided offline test and E2Language videos. Some of the question types actually seem a bit more difficult compared to IELTS. E.g. Retell lecture. I'll probably buy some scored practice tests just to get a better idea of what to expect and gauge where I'm at.

Did anyone use this practice book & CD?

https://www.amazon.com/Pearson-English-Academic-Practice-CD-ROM/dp/1447937945

Last edited:

RandomGeek

This guy (example Youtube video below) may be a bit irritating at times but he does a very good job of of explaining what needs to be done. Retell lecture and describe graph were the most difficult portions for me.

Pearson also sells a full marked online exam (think it was in the region of R500), do that a few days before the test to gauge your readiness. Tip: its 3 hours long so do it on a weekend when you are fresh, and not after a long days work

Last edited:

GoB

Expert Member
The techniques taught on videos help some people and give you some ideas, but I actually followed a simpler approach after listening to the sample answers provided by Pearson in their "scoring analysis".

You can speak slower than the Indians on Youtube for sure. You can also fake facts or add a filler in the retell lecture or describe graph, and I don't think you always need to reach 35s / maximum length.

For the graphs I'd think about my opening sentence (and it doesn't need to be factually correct), and maybe figure out what trend or min/max I'll mention. That's plenty because if you have time left you just read a number or give a fake conclusion.

For the retell lecture I'd forget about trying to capture the entire lecture, but instead use keywords to construct the 3-4 sentences which I plan to speak, skipping where I fall behind.

On the first scored test I blanked completely on retell lecture... I did a second one and did fine, but learnt not to misspell the same word 10 times.

MrJacques

Just finished a scored practice PTE test and it went well, better than I expected. Apparently Test A is more difficult than the actual and Test B (which I did tonight) is easier. No idea of how test C compares with the actual test.

I thought that I might have messed up the describe image as I ran out of time on the first one and re-tell lecture. Although the overall score doesn't reflect it, the fluency enabler does. I found the test itself a bit tricker in some areas than IELTS, but it does seem to be scored more leniently, taking into account that they say version B is easier and you'll score about 5% less in the actual test according to some online comments.

The e2language methods & techniques really help with how to answer the different question types and I definitely recommend practicing, so it's not the first time you actually answer a question type during the test. That's a mistake I made with IELTS - I practiced everything beforehand, except the writing, so even though I knew the theory I didn't have the practical experience of writing a letter or essay.

phaktza

Executive Member
Just finished a scored practice PTE test and it went well, better than I expected. Apparently Test A is more difficult than the actual and Test B (which I did tonight) is easier. No idea of how test C compares with the actual test.

I thought that I might have messed up the describe image as I ran out of time on the first one and re-tell lecture. Although the overall score doesn't reflect it, the fluency enabler does. I found the test itself a bit tricker in some areas than IELTS, but it does seem to be scored more leniently, taking into account that they say version B is easier and you'll score about 5% less in the actual test according to some online comments.

The e2language methods & techniques really help with how to answer the different question types and I definitely recommend practicing, so it's not the first time you actually answer a question type during the test. That's a mistake I made with IELTS - I practiced everything beforehand, except the writing, so even though I knew the theory I didn't have the practical experience of writing a letter or essay.
The e2language methods were spot on. That and the advice to thoroughly check and adjust your microphone prior to starting.

The e2language methods were spot on. That and the advice to thoroughly check and adjust your microphone prior to starting.
It might also be that speaking in such a way that you blow air on the microphone, that it penalizes you for pronunciation. Their mics are much more sensitive than that on my gaming headset.

MrJacques

It might also be that speaking in such a way that you blow air on the microphone, that it penalizes you for pronunciation. Their mics are much more sensitive than that on my gaming headset.
Yup, from the tips I've seen the mic should not be in front of your mouth, but rather a bit below it to prevent those plosive noises.

MrJacques

85 points minimum required for an invite! Even with state sponsorship I'd only have 80. Hope the next few rounds aren't as tough. Historically it looks like it should pick up.

And another graph to practice 'describe image' on :)

Last edited:

RandomGeek

85 points minimum required for an invite! Even with state sponsorship I'd only have 80. Hope the next few rounds aren't as tough. Historically it looks like it should pick up.

And another graph to practice 'describe image' on :)
If I look at the graph and do the math - one guy/girl scored 105 points. HOW THE $%%^ do you score 105 points?

RandomGeek

32 year old, niche skills PHD from University of Queensland, 5 years employment in Australia. Spouse is on STSOL. Speaks an aboriginal language?
Indeed something like that :) - one in a million! Not applicable at all to those of us who have never studied or lived in Oz