Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

phaktza

Executive Member

Sinbad

Honorary Master

phaktza

Executive Member
I received exactly the same last Friday. I'm now waiting for the full assessment.

Interestingly, family of my wife was asked to pay about R700 before they did the full assessment - this was last year. I confirmed with someone else who recently contacted New Zealand Shores that they paid the R700.

So you and I are free first up. I am wondering if it's because our CV's look REALLY good or something...
My experience was a free initial assessment. We then paid for a much more in depth analysis - which formed the "deposit" for our application.

phaktza

Executive Member
Seems there is a difference in the service, where nz shores also act on your behalf with potential employers, helping them do what's necessary to hire you etc. They become your local contact in nz for the job search process.
Ah right, well then it's up to you to put a number to that service.

I could have done the process without an agent, but they really helped with some not-so-straight-forward issues.

If they're helping you get a job it's probably worth the extra you'll be paying.

me_

My parents decided to move back to Cape Town from Aus. They said it seems that there is a property bubble crisis. Prices are low but most there are over indebted upto a point where the banks are giving loans similar to what happened in the US. Other than that a lot of mines are shutting down and crime has spiked due to the refugees that moved there to work in the mines and whom dont have a job anymore. Since then they have had numerous breakins and crime is actually worse there.

So Canada may be a better option.
Canada's in a similar position. Their household debt level isn't at the same level as Australia, but they also have a property bubble that is threatening their economy. New Zealand is in the same boat, but with the added risk that their financial services industry is mostly made up of Australia companies so they are directly impacted by anything that happens in Aus.

RandomGeek

Got my full assessment this morning

They want nzd6800 for this service! Not counting any visa fees or documentation etc.

I don't know if this is worth it?
For how many people Sinbad? If it is a more complex case it may be useful to have them. For a straightforward case consider doing it yourself

RandomGeek

My parents decided to move back to Cape Town from Aus. They said it seems that there is a property bubble crisis. Prices are low but most there are over indebted upto a point where the banks are giving loans similar to what happened in the US. Other than that a lot of mines are shutting down and crime has spiked due to the refugees that moved there to work in the mines and whom dont have a job anymore. Since then they have had numerous breakins and crime is actually worse there.

Which part of Aus were they in if you dont mind me asking?

FlashSA

Executive Member
Just got my hands on a good photo of the marriage register document we and witnessess signed on our wedding day. Off to Home Affairs shortly to get my applications in. I would kiss the minister if he still lived here in Slummies as that document is worth gold

web

Executive Member
I think the PCC is the least of my worries, and cheapest on the list of requirements. I will redo the PCC if needed.

There are currently 2 jobs available in NZ now that I would qualify for, but I first want to get all my paperwork sorted before any applications.

How do I get my qualification and experience assessed for NZ?
Qualification assessment, immigration agents that you use will assess your experience for your points.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Qualification assessment, immigration agents that you use will assess your experience for your points.

You can submit your qualifications to the NZ authority yourself.

Don't need an agent.

I'm having second thoughts about using an agency to be honest. I think my case is simple enough.

GoB

Expert Member

If they're moving because of crime that's valid... but then they may as well change areas and protect their home properly.
I wouldn't expect not to need burglar bars - expecting less violent crime though.

Moving cause of a property bubble is an excuse though - I mean that's a normal occurence and by some statistics prices are already stabilising.
You could compare overall economic outlook, but I don't think you could say that SA is in a better position.

ryanrich

LOL! Crime is worse in AUS? Where exactly were they?

I find this extremely hard to believe having just moved from Cape Town to Australia a month and a half ago... I’ve never felt more safe or slept better at night. Chalk and cheese to SA to be honest. Zero burglar bars or security gates in my area. If that is really their reasoning it sounds like they’re trying to justify the move back to be honest.

Also, how are house prices low? The current house I’m renting is around $800k to buy, which is not cheap by any stretch of the imagination. Interest rates are very low but property prices are ridiculously high.

Last edited:

MrJacques

I'm guessing it's Perth? That's where the mining is? They might just have been unfortunate to have more break-ins in Aus than what they had in CPT?

RandomGeek

I'm guessing it's Perth? That's where the mining is? They might just have been unfortunate to have more break-ins in Aus than what they had in CPT?
There are also quite a few coal mines in Queensland/North East. Therefore I'm keen to find out where not to go :)

On another note, currently I can afford to stay in a security estate, shielding me to an extent from crime. In Aus I wont be able to afford that luxury. But the main difference in my mind is that while you will see break-ins etc everywhere, you won't have the level of aggression, violence and hatred you see in SA

Sinbad

Honorary Master
To be fair the price they are quoting you isn't bad. Its more a case of it being expensive because the Rand is worth little.
The number of people involved doesn't change the price of their service.

And remember, this excludes all actual visa/document costs - at least another 4.5k NZD (depending on number of people)

ryanrich

There are also quite a few coal mines in Queensland/North East. Therefore I'm keen to find out where not to go :)

On another note, currently I can afford to stay in a security estate, shielding me to an extent from crime. In Aus I wont be able to afford that luxury. But the main difference in my mind is that while you will see break-ins etc everywhere, you won't have the level of aggression, violence and hatred you see in SA
Yeah I lived in a security village in Cape Town with 24x7 guards. Now live in a freestanding house right near the city in Adelaide and it’s super safe. Obviously one can’t live in ignorance and there is petty crime as there is everywhere in the world, but not even nearly on the same scale as SA, especially regarding murder and violence.

GoB

Expert Member
I find this extremely hard to believe having just moved from Cape Town to Australia a month and a half ago... I’ve never felt more safe or slept better at night. Chalk and cheese to SA to be honest. Zero burglar bars or security gates in my area.
To be fair, statistics say otherwise for burglaries - and I've found the same when I did my research.

In 2017 there were 225,900 recorded burglaries in Australia, or one every 3 minutes.
In 2015 Australia had the 5th highest rate of burglaries in the world.

SA was 246,654 in 2017, with more than double the population.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
To be fair, statistics say otherwise for burglaries - and I've found the same when I did my research.

In 2017 there were 225,900 recorded burglaries in Australia, or one every 3 minutes.
In 2015 Australia had the 5th highest rate of burglaries in the world.

SA was 246,654 in 2017, with more than double the population.
Do the SA burglary figures include home invasion?