Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

JacquesZA

So less than 3 weeks till we leave for Auckland.

So thankful that me, wife and kids all get to leave together.
Will have around a month there on “holiday” before the job starts.

web

Executive Member
She is very good

Don't pay someone to do your CV you are wasting your money. I took my New Zealand Shores CV made some tweaks and used that. Your covering letter is really important make sure it's specific to the job you applying for.

Flowery CV's won't help you get a job here.

w@nted

Awesome! All of the best! How long did it take you to find a job? It looks like some people find jobs quickly and others (like me) need to wait a bit longer.

w@nted

Don't pay someone to do your CV you are wasting your money. I took my New Zealand Shores CV made some tweaks and used that. Your covering letter is really important make sure it's specific to the job you applying for.

Flowery CV's won't help you get a job here.
Agreed. The NZ shores CV and cover letter is a great starting point.

web

Executive Member

Nice time to get into Auckland, weather is great and everyone is on leave so the traffic is a little quieter.

pastry

Congrats!
I just got my approved work to residence visa this morning.
Will also be going to Auckland, some time early January.
Just myself though so my process was probably a lot less stressful.

ryanrich

Congrats man, that’s awesome.

Good to have that time off at first to settle.

Klipdrif

Hi All,

Also thinking of making the move to Aus. Will try to go through 189 Visa (80 points). Civil Engineer 233211. Dont know if anyone will be able to help me out, but do I need to have my work experience vetted by Engineers Australia, or do they just check your qualifications? i.e. who actually checks your work experience against what you have claimed in your EOI?

Edit: changed points to avoid confusion. Thanks F1ve_Claw.

Last edited:

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Hi All,

Also thinking of making the move to Aus. Will try to go through 189 Visa (180 points). Civil Engineer 233211. Dont know if anyone will be able to help me out, but do I need to have my work experience vetted by Engineers Australia, or do they just check your qualifications? i.e. who actually checks your work experience against what you have claimed in your EOI?
Before you submit an EOI your skills (Qualification and experience) needs to be checked. In my case (not engineer) they called my previous employers and checked everything. If one thing you claimed was not verified by the employer they reject the experience.

I would have a chat to an agent, because 80 (I presume you mean 80 not 180) points in a 189 may not work.

MrJacques

Hi All,

Also thinking of making the move to Aus. Will try to go through 189 Visa (180 points). Civil Engineer 233211. Dont know if anyone will be able to help me out, but do I need to have my work experience vetted by Engineers Australia, or do they just check your qualifications? i.e. who actually checks your work experience against what you have claimed in your EOI?
180 points? Wow! How did you manage that?

I think you need to go through the official skills assessment. Ask an agent for the initial assessment - just to make sure you are able to qualify and worked out your points correctly.

MrJacques

Before you submit an EOI your skills (Qualification and experience) needs to be checked. In my case (not engineer) they called my previous employers and checked everything. If one thing you claimed was not verified by the employer they reject the experience.

I would have a chat to an agent, because 80 (I presume you mean 80 not 180) points in a 189 may not work.
Yeah, 80 points is a bit low, but it also depends on the profession. I'm on 85 and the estimate for getting an invite is next year this time.

Klipdrif

Thanks, i meant 80, sorry for that. Mkay, I thought 80 could potentially be enough to get me through. But I will have a chat with an agent. Wanted to do it myself without an agent, but this may be a stupid idea.

phaktza

Executive Member
Thanks, i meant 80, sorry for that. Mkay, I thought 80 could potentially be enough to get me through. But I will have a chat with an agent. Wanted to do it myself without an agent, but this may be a stupid idea.
It depends on the application. 189s are much harder than in my day. You may have to go regional, or maybe you're in the right niche.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Thanks, i meant 80, sorry for that. Mkay, I though 80 could potentially be enough to get me through. But I will have a chat with an agent. Wanted to do it myself without an agent, but this may be a stupid idea.
My mantra is, if you don't have an extra R50k for an agent you do not have enough to move over. Being an engineer I am sure you are flush, so nothing to worry about :ROFL: .

Unless you have an exceptionally straight forward case (are an engineer that does only engineering work), then I would not risk it. I did something small like leave out something implied in what I do, and had to pay for a VETASSESS review because of that.

As with the 80 points, they have not taken anyone with 80 in a while for the 189. 85 would be enough, but just remember you probably have less points than you think, there are little nuances like loosing your first year of experience to 'learning the ropes' and that not being counted for some professions.

Check out immitracker, it is a crowdsourced site to see how invites are going. If you are looking for an agent, I generally recommend the one I used (Tony @ www.skylarkmigration.com.au ) simply because he worked as a case officer in migration before becoming an agent. There are lots of decent (and some terrible ones) out there, so find the right fit.

Last edited:

Botha22

So they managed enough applications in a DAY to keep them busy for the next 6-7 months? Damn seems everyone wants to live in Sydney!
Limited number to limit number of immigrants. They could easily hire more staff to process more people if it was a capacity issue.