Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

RandomGeek

Hi All,

Also thinking of making the move to Aus. Will try to go through 189 Visa (80 points). Civil Engineer 233211. Dont know if anyone will be able to help me out, but do I need to have my work experience vetted by Engineers Australia, or do they just check your qualifications? i.e. who actually checks your work experience against what you have claimed in your EOI?

Edit: changed points to avoid confusion. Thanks F1ve_Claw.
I cannot comment specifically on Civil Engineering, but I also needed to be assessed by Engineers Australia.

There are 2 main ways they approach this; either by 1) Washington/Sydney/Dublin Accord or via 2) Competency Demonstration Report (CDR)

1) Washington/Sydney/Dublin Accord - this is the easier one. If your university and degree is Washington/Sydney/Dublin Accord accredited and the degree matches your ANZSCO code then you are good. You do need to submit a good deal of information but nothing too onerous - check their website for the latest information.

2) The CDR is a bit of a bastard - I needed to go this route because my degree and ANZSCO code differed (even though my degree was Washington/Sydney/Dublin accredited...go figure). As part of this process they required work experience letters from all my previous employers.

So in answer to your question, I already had detailed work experience letters that I submitted as part of my 189 submission. If you don't have these they will anyway ask for latest CV, payslips etc as part of the case officer's workflow. There is a lot of information to supply but so long as you worked appropriately in your field for the duration of time that you claimed points for you should be fine. I have even heard of case officers checking out LinkedIn profiles so it does seem to be quite thorough

ryanrich

It's crazy how the time flies once you're going, on Thursday I will have left SA 4 months ago and have been working in my new role for almost 3 months now.

clickingbuttons

I've been sitting for almost 3 months waiting for my unabridged birth certificate to be regurgitated by home affairs.

Does anybody have any tips on how to speed up this process?

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
It's crazy how the time flies once you're going, on Thursday I will have left SA 4 months ago and have been working in my new role for almost 3 months now.
I know how you feel. Things felt miles off and in the blink of an eye I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in March.

JacquesZA

Those in NZ, presume your garm n fenix devices are APAC...

For a fenix 6, would it be advisable to purchase here in SA? Or there in NZ?

Im not sure if i get a SA or ROW model vs a APAC model would remove item such as trails loaded etc? As those are linked to the loaded maps?

ryanrich

I know how you feel. Things felt miles off and in the blink of an eye I will be eligible to apply for citizenship in March.
Lucky bugger! My next milestone is buying a house again then second after that is applying for citizenship. Only 3 years and 8 months to go, lol.

Only my son's SA passport will expire before we get AUS passports so I will need to apply for his renewal well in advance, I believe it takes around 8 months for an SA passport renewal from here.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Lucky bugger! My next milestone is buying a house again then second after that is applying for citizenship. Only 3 years and 8 months to go, lol.

Only my son's SA passport will expire before we get AUS passports so I will need to apply for his renewal well in advance, I believe it takes around 8 months for an SA passport renewal from here.
House should happen pretty quickly, especially if your misses is working then it's easy to save. Just try make sure your deposit is 20% otherwise you have to pay LMI which is a waste. In a few days time will have been in my house for exactly a year :D

Well don't worry applying and taking the test is about an 8-12 month process currently and then another 8-18 months before they do the ceremony and only after that can you apply for an Aus passport.

Also it looks like it's taking 12+ months to get the SA passport this side.

web

Executive Member
Those in NZ, presume your garm n fenix devices are APAC...

For a fenix 6, would it be advisable to purchase here in SA? Or there in NZ?

Im not sure if i get a SA or ROW model vs a APAC model would remove item such as trails loaded etc? As those are linked to the loaded maps?
I bought my Fenix from SA, no issues.

MrJacques

Will you be keeping your RSA citizenship? I've read that you need to fill in some forms to let HA know you are applying for citizenship in another country so you don't lose your RSA citizenship, although you can't lose residency afaik.