Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

ryanrich

Will you be keeping your RSA citizenship? I've read that you need to fill in some forms to let HA know you are applying for citizenship in another country so you don't lose your RSA citizenship, although you can't lose residency afaik.
Yeah, if you don’t inform SA and make it known you wish to retain your citizenship you automatically denounce it if you receive alternate citizenship.

My wife and I won’t be retaining our SA citizenship, no point and easier with only one.

Our kids will automatically retain theirs though as it only applies to 18 years and older.

JacquesZA

Yeah, if you don’t inform SA and make it known you wish to retain your citizenship you automatically denounce it if you receive alternate citizenship.

My wife and I won’t be retaining our SA citizenship, no point and easier with only one.

Our kids will automatically retain theirs though as it only applies to 18 years and older.
What are the pro and con of keeping Sa citizenships?

And as mentioned if you do forfit citizenship do you still have PR?

smi

Expert Member
Financial costs for all this? Quite curious as my cousin a degree teacher, her husband who is an Engineer with consulting qualifications are applying. They keeping info close themselves

ryanrich

What are the pro and con of keeping Sa citizenships?

And as mentioned if you do forfit citizenship do you still have PR?
You retain residency yes and can theoretically apply for citizenship again should you ever want it.

No pros of retaining citizenship that I can think of...

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Financial costs for all this? Quite curious as my cousin a degree teacher, her husband who is an Engineer with consulting qualifications are applying. They keeping info close themselves
It depends on what you take with. Just the applications for Aus for a main applicant and a partner, with an agent, will probably go to around R130k - R150k.
I'm not at the application stage yet.

cguy

Executive Member
You retain residency yes and can theoretically apply for citizenship again should you ever want it.

No pros of retaining citizenship that I can think of...
The biggest pro is that it’s easier to retain than to lose. You have to formally renounce it. The “automatic” renouncing they talk about isn’t registered anywhere, so you can still get hassled if you try enter it leave SA on another passport.

MrJacques

Yeah, it's not cheap.

English test: +- R3500 (per person)
Skills Assessment with ACS: +- R5000 (per person) (I think other Engineering assessments are more expensive)
Visa (189 PR): 4045 AUD (+- R41000) (Secondary applicants / partners are cheaper I think)
Medical Tests: +- R3500 (per person)
Agent: +- R45000 (You can do it on your own, all the info is available, but you have to read documentation carefully)

Then you still have factor in flights, moving costs, money for your first few months there etc.

And to think that all you needed to get there when it was started as a colony was to steal some bread and you'd even get free transport :p

Reactions: smi

smi

Expert Member
Yeah, it's not cheap.

Skills Assessment with ACS: +- R5000 (per person) (I think other Engineering assessments are more expensive)
Visa (189 PR): 4045 AUD (+- R41000) (Secondary applicants / partners are cheaper I think)
Agent: +- R45000 (You can do it on your own, all the info is available, but you have to read documentation carefully)

Then you still have factor in flights, moving costs, money for your first few months there etc.

And to think that all you needed to get there when it was started as a colony was to steal some bread and you'd even get free transport :p
Yeah, how times have changed

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Yeah, it's not cheap.

I see on the Ausiekaners Facebook group that electricians now have to pay about total R50 000 for their skills assessment.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Will you be keeping your RSA citizenship? I've read that you need to fill in some forms to let HA know you are applying for citizenship in another country so you don't lose your RSA citizenship, although you can't lose residency afaik.
Hmmm... that's interesting. I have triple citizenship, never been asked about my other passports by Home Affairs (not that they'd know I guess).

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Yeah, it's not cheap.

Here is mine:

English Test: ~R3 500
Skills Assessment with VETASSESS: ~R9 000 per go. I had to get 4 of these so a total of R36 000
Medicals: ~R2 500 each x2 so a total of R5 000
Agent: ~R35 000 at this point
Various SA documents: ~R800

Additional costs going the study route:
Visa Submission: R1 800 (Complicated case)
Medical Insurance: R40 000
University Application: R900
University upfront 1st semester: R170 000
Remaining Semesters: R480 600

Moving costs:
Flights (2x): R8 400 each with Qantas to a total of R16 800
Boxes: 4x boxes at around R2 900 + $150 landing fee
Cat tests and inoculations so far: R2 500
Remaining cat costs: R40 000

ryanrich

The biggest pro is that it’s easier to retain than to lose. You have to formally renounce it. The “automatic” renouncing they talk about isn’t registered anywhere, so you can still get hassled if you try enter it leave SA on another passport.
Yeah I checked that form now, will probably just submit it when I have a new passport one day. It’s an absolute mission renewing an SA passport from here so not that interested in dual citizenship.

ryanrich

Yeah, it's not cheap.

Not to mention when you rent here you need to pay a bond (holding deposit) plus 2 weeks rent in advance which for our new place came to $4400.

Helps big time to start earning dollars ASAP once you arrive!

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
I'm still on the fence but probably will. My GF has Portuguese and SA though so she will probably give hers up. You're correct you have to apply in advance to retain your South African citizenship but can never lose perm residency. Only thing that worries me about keeping SA citizenship is if I travel on SA passport Aus is not obligated to then help me out. Most countries I plan to go to will probably be on an Aus passport then anyway as I don't plan on going to Africa except for when my parents die.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
The important thing to remember about moving to a first world country is you can recoup your costs spent very quickly. Some people try not to go with an agent as it's expensive but the ease of the process with an agent makes life easier and that cost is recouped quickly here too. As an example my costs below from 2015/2016:

Agent: R55000
Visas: R50k me / R35k for gf
IELTS: R2100 x 2
ACS Skills Assessment: R4500
Passport/Unabridgeds etc: R1000
Medicals: R1500 x 2

Flights: R20k x 3 (GF had to go back and finish her last term of teaching notice)
Pets (2 dogs 3 cats): R160k

All in all the process cost us about R300k+

When I got to Aus I landed a job earning $100k as a software developer (getting ripped off because "you don't have Aus experience") and my GF got a teaching job which is regulated salary and earned about $65k which increases twice a year (although very low increases). One thing is do your research on your job type and any salaries listed expect to get $10k-$20k lower when entering your first job here (unless you're ryanrich :p). If you network, prove your worth and work hard you can move up the ladder very quickly and like minded saffers are happy to help each other out to make better lives for each other. Being a developer I'm in the lucky position that I have now been able to choose to take a lower paying job but work from home 3 days a week. With the networking I've been doing by the end of next year I could be doing significantly better and prospects are starting to open up.

Starting off we were saving about $3000-$3500 per month basically spending all my salary and saving all my GFs. That's about R33k-R40k a month we were saving equivalently. After a bit of time working here I pushed my salary up to more realistically what I should be earning and then we were saving $5k a month (roughly R50k-R55k depending on exchange which was about R11 at the time). This means that the R300k+ I had spent on the process which took me about 5 or more years to save in SA took me 6-7 months to recoup here in Aus while still living a comfortable life renting a 3 bed 2 bath in an upper class suburb, buying 2 (cheap) cars cash, going out for many meals at restaurants (expensive here), having a generous grocery budget for 2 people etc and being able to travel (went to Bali, Went to Mauritius for a wedding, GF went back to SA again to visit people, roadtripping NSW in 2 weeks etc etc). I like to think I live a bit frugal in certain regards but am far from struggling in any way shape or form. You'll find many Aussies complain they will never be able to afford a home, while my GF and I set ourselves literally back to zero, managed to recoup all our life saving and get the deposit together for a brand new built home (albeit an hour from the city) in the span of just over 2 years. It took about 6 months for land and house to be built and we've been living in our home for a year this week. This all means we've managed to achieve an extremely stable and comfortable life in less than 4 years and by the end of next year we will have the R600k to pay for the visa for my GFs mom to move over too.