Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

ryanrich

Have a look at Emirates. I flew CPT -> Dubai -> Adelaide one way in August and paid R8500.

ryanrich

The important thing to remember about moving to a first world country is you can recoup your costs spent very quickly. Some people try not to go with an agent as it's expensive but the ease of the process with an agent makes life easier and that cost is recouped quickly here too. As an example my costs below from 2015/2016:

Agent: R55000
Visas: R50k me / R35k for gf
IELTS: R2100 x 2
ACS Skills Assessment: R4500
Passport/Unabridgeds etc: R1000
Medicals: R1500 x 2

Flights: R20k x 3 (GF had to go back and finish her last term of teaching notice)
Pets (2 dogs 3 cats): R160k

All in all the process cost us about R300k+

When I got to Aus I landed a job earning $100k as a software developer (getting ripped off because "you don't have Aus experience") and my GF got a teaching job which is regulated salary and earned about $65k which increases twice a year (although very low increases). One thing is do your research on your job type and any salaries listed expect to get $10k-$20k lower when entering your first job here (unless you're ryanrich :p). If you network, prove your worth and work hard you can move up the ladder very quickly and like minded saffers are happy to help each other out to make better lives for each other. Being a developer I'm in the lucky position that I have now been able to choose to take a lower paying job but work from home 3 days a week. With the networking I've been doing by the end of next year I could be doing significantly better and prospects are starting to open up.

Starting off we were saving about $3000-$3500 per month basically spending all my salary and saving all my GFs. That's about R33k-R40k a month we were saving equivalently. After a bit of time working here I pushed my salary up to more realistically what I should be earning and then we were saving $5k a month (roughly R50k-R55k depending on exchange which was about R11 at the time). This means that the R300k+ I had spent on the process which took me about 5 or more years to save in SA took me 6-7 months to recoup here in Aus while still living a comfortable life renting a 3 bed 2 bath in an upper class suburb, buying 2 (cheap) cars cash, going out for many meals at restaurants (expensive here), having a generous grocery budget for 2 people etc and being able to travel (went to Bali, Went to Mauritius for a wedding, GF went back to SA again to visit people, roadtripping NSW in 2 weeks etc etc). I like to think I live a bit frugal in certain regards but am far from struggling in any way shape or form. You'll find many Aussies complain they will never be able to afford a home, while my GF and I set ourselves literally back to zero, managed to recoup all our life saving and get the deposit together for a brand new built home (albeit an hour from the city) in the span of just over 2 years. It took about 6 months for land and house to be built and we've been living in our home for a year this week. This all means we've managed to achieve an extremely stable and comfortable life in less than 4 years and by the end of next year we will have the R600k to pay for the visa for my GFs mom to move over too.
Excellent advice and info as usual!

The ability to live well here and save is completely different to SA.

I think my luck on the job front is more an Adelaide thing, demand outweighs supply when it comes to senior IT people across the board here, especially in consultancy. Melbourne and Sydney are far more saturated. My company (Nuago) currently has like 5 roles advertised because we just can't keep up with the amount of work coming in. We're also growing tremendously quickly, 7th fastest growing company in Australia (year on year revenue) in 2018 and 11th again this year, on the CRN Fast 50.

The cost savings if you have kids is also mind blowing. My daughter received her hearing aids at zero cost to us as well as $13,000 per year in free care related to her hearing such as speech pathology etc, so we pay zero whereas in SA I would be forking out thousands out of my own pocket. It's an awesome feeling knowing that your tax money actually goes somewhere.

My son starts reception (Grade R) next year at an excellent school and the total per year for the actual fees is around $380, excluding uniform, etc. Converted to Rands that is what we were paying per month back in South Africa. Daycare for toddlers is very expensive though but again Centrelink subsidizes up to 80% depending on income.

The only thing I find extremely expensive is car registration, like $800 a year, lol, so for my two cars that's $1600 a year just to be able to drive them. Insurance is cheap though, cars were around $500 each for a full year of comprehensive insurance.

Chris_the_Brit

High Tory
Out of interest, I see that most or all of you expats are not located in Sydney. I'm just curious as to the reasons why? Just seems to me that the best job opportunities would be there, given it is the business capital of Australia. Or is it a place to avoid when first moving over due to how expensive property is there?

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member

The only thing I find extremely expensive is car registration, like $800 a year, lol, so for my two cars that's $1600 a year just to be able to drive them. Insurance is cheap though, cars were around $500 each for a full year of comprehensive insurance.
You're meant to take the public transport :whistling:, and you'll find the adelaide bus network seems to be more consistent (and cleaner :ROFL:) than the one's in melbourne. Must be a regional city thing.

ryanrich

Out of interest, I see that most or all of you expats are not located in Sydney. I'm just curious as to the reasons why? Just seems to me that the best job opportunities would be there, given it is the business capital of Australia. Or is it a place to avoid when first moving over due to how expensive property is there?
Sydney is nice to visit but I wouldn’t live there even for $200k a year. Extremely congested and insanely expensive. I think the type of houses we’re looking at buying in Adelaide for $600k will cost $1m in Sydney.

Some people love that type of lifestyle though so it’s completely subjective...

ChuckNorris

Searching for specials makes a bit difference. We flew in June JHB - > Sydney for R12k pp direct all inclusive.
Saw now on black friday a flight from JHB - > Brisbane for R11k pp.

ChuckNorris

Sydney is very busy, lots of tourist everywhere.
Melbourne is busy, people are work focus and just think work.

Brisbane / Adelaide is more relax but with a city feeling

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Initally wanted to go to Brisbane but had friends in Melbourne we could stay with while searching for a job so did that. Also Melbourne is bigger than Brisbane but smaller than Sydney. Sydney very congested and very expensive. Melbourne seemed like the better option for finding a tech job.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Excellent advice and info as usual!

The ability to live well here and save is completely different to SA.

I think my luck on the job front is more an Adelaide thing, demand outweighs supply when it comes to senior IT people across the board here, especially in consultancy. Melbourne and Sydney are far more saturated. My company (Nuago) currently has like 5 roles advertised because we just can't keep up with the amount of work coming in. We're also growing tremendously quickly, 7th fastest growing company in Australia (year on year revenue) in 2018 and 11th again this year, on the CRN Fast 50.

The cost savings if you have kids is also mind blowing. My daughter received her hearing aids at zero cost to us as well as $13,000 per year in free care related to her hearing such as speech pathology etc, so we pay zero whereas in SA I would be forking out thousands out of my own pocket. It's an awesome feeling knowing that your tax money actually goes somewhere.

My son starts reception (Grade R) next year at an excellent school and the total per year for the actual fees is around $380, excluding uniform, etc. Converted to Rands that is what we were paying per month back in South Africa. Daycare for toddlers is very expensive though but again Centrelink subsidizes up to 80% depending on income.

You're 100% correct with senior tech people being in demand and that's everywhere. When I got here I was a little overwhelmed because everyone does AWS, Azure etc which I didn't get to do that in SA but after 3 months of getting up to speed you find that most people here are just as **** at their jobs as in SA and the pool of quality candidates is tiny.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
So had my first phone interview last night. Skills are a good fit, company culture is a good fit, it seems like a cool place to work. Small company, around 30 employees. 3 Saffas there already, they know the process and do not seem fazed by a 3 month lead time. The interview devolved into a chat about gaming, they're a bunch of Blizzard guys. I was able to answer their questions pretty well, came away with a good feeling and actually enjoyed the conversation.
So hopefully I'll get to the next step of the process... should hear something early next week! Hold thumbs ....

The_Mowgs

Honorary Master
So had my first phone interview last night. Skills are a good fit, company culture is a good fit, it seems like a cool place to work. Small company, around 30 employees. 3 Saffas there already, they know the process and do not seem fazed by a 3 month lead time. The interview devolved into a chat about gaming, they're a bunch of Blizzard guys. I was able to answer their questions pretty well, came away with a good feeling and actually enjoyed the conversation.
So hopefully I'll get to the next step of the process... should hear something early next week! Hold thumbs ....
Awesome!

Dave

Honorary Master
I'm sure your friends in Hermanus will be really happy to hear that ;).

web

Executive Member
Just be aware "next week" has a different meaning here, can be anything to a month.
Wheel of time can turn slowly on this Island.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Just be aware "next week" has a different meaning here, can be anything to a month.
Wheel of time can turn slowly on this Island.
I do get that. :D thanks for the heads up though. Waiting is tough though!

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
That's good news and hope it all goes well. Just something to be aware of, what Aussies say and what they do are 2 very different things. They're very PC and have to go along with the whole "everyones well being" nonsense. They've grown up in a world where everyone has to be very careful about what they say and do and will generally go about things in as nice a way as possible to avoid conflict on the surface. Coming from an SA perspective they can find us quite blunt and to the point which is sometimes intimidating for them. It's not much of a problem but to get to my point, I had great interviews with companies over skype while in SA and one even told me I was the best candidate they had apply but they didn't want to be responsible for making me move in a rush, even though I said I had my bags packed and was ready to leave on a weeks notice. For all I know they could have been lying to let me down gently although they did try contact me when I was here and had a job already. Anyway, the fact that the place has saffers already means that they are probably aware of the process you have to go through and probably won't pull the same stunts, but just be aware that many companies will tell you what they think you want to hear because it's easier than them saying things straight out.