Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

JacquesZA

Departed Joburg with my wife and 2 daughters ers (4 and 6) on Monday. Now waiting for our last flight to Auck from Bali.

Will arrive in Auck on Thursday morning (Nz time)

Had a shirt lay over in Dubai and last night a short sleepover here in Bali.

Tired and exhausted!

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Tech test... Dunno if it was a trick but if it was I fell for it. Way too easy Imho.

web

Executive Member
Departed Joburg with my wife and 2 daughters ers (4 and 6) on Monday. Now waiting for our last flight to Auck from Bali.

Tired and exhausted!
Enjoy your arrival in Auckland.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
You're lucky. We were dumb and brought all out kitchen stuff etc. and the GF packed all her clothes which she never wears; 17 boxes later. In hindsight we could have done 2 for all the sentimentals, 2 for clothes and 1 for my PC.
I do not have 17 boxes worth of stuff. All my clothes fit into a LARGE suitcase. Our second box has higher end kitchen things, but the rule was if it was less than R2 000 it does not go in the box.

Was it worth taking the PC via shipping - I have not thought to ship mine as I'm worried about damage? I guess buying a new one that side will not be super cheap or really possible as a student :(

ryanrich

I do not have 17 boxes worth of stuff. All my clothes fit into a LARGE suitcase. Our second box has higher end kitchen things, but the rule was if it was less than R2 000 it does not go in the box.

Was it worth taking the PC via shipping - I have not thought to ship mine as I'm worried about damage? I guess buying a new one that side will not be super cheap or really possible as a student :(
I shipped my PS4 and a lot of electronic equipment, no issues, I wouldn’t think damage is a problem.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Hmm. We're planning on taking a container. Beds, grand piano, kitchen appliances, lots of family heirloom stuff...?

ryanrich

Hmm. We're planning on taking a container. Beds, grand piano, kitchen appliances, lots of family heirloom stuff...?
I was quoted around R80k for a full container which is when I decided to rather sell appliances and buy new here. Our Move Cube for the sentimental stuff and lots of furniture and things came to R25k or so.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I was quoted around R80k for a full container which is when I decided to rather sell appliances and buy new here. Our Move Cube for the sentimental stuff and lots of furniture and things came to R25k or so.
Our lounge suite is 60k new...

ryanrich

Our lounge suite is 60k new...
Sheesh, fancy, in that case it may be worth it. I gave away my piece of crap lounge suite and bought a nice L shape here for under $2000 lol.

Our main thing I wanted new was appliances like fridge, washer, TV and beds because it takes up to 4 months for the shipping to arrive.

Last edited:

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Just check bed / bedding sizes. I know in Australia they are different to SA. We were going to ship our expensive bedding (Wife likes threadcounts higher than the moon), but sizing would be a problem going forward.

phaktza

Executive Member
Sheesh, fancy, in that case it may be worth it. I gave away my piece of crap lounge suite and bought a nice L shape here for under $2000 lol.

Our main thing I wanted new was appliances like fridge, washer, TV and beds because it takes up to 4 months for the shipping to arrive.
Surely you're renting when you first arrive and have some of that?

ryanrich

Surely you're renting when you first arrive and have some of that?
We’re renting an unfurnished place. My AirBNB for the first month had that stuff yeah.

We’re now all settled into our new rental in Glenelg, 2 kms from the beach, last deliveries are arriving early Jan which is our new dining room table and chairs and side table.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member

That's probably a good rule. Most things can be purchased from the likes of kmart for relatively cheap. It was worth bringing the PC for me as it was still a pretty good machine as I got top end everything at the end of 2013 and moved early 2016. You can check prices for stuff on places like centrecom to see pricing here. If you pack your pc make sure you pad it in the box with a blanket. Out of everything we shipped including glasses etc only one glass oven dish broke which I was quite surprised about as I thought more things would break. We did bubble wrap most things though.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member

Tired and exhausted!
That's probably the other piece of advice I'd give to people. Pay the extra and fly as direct as possible. You only need to make the mistake once of saving a few thousand on a flight that takes an extra 10+ hours before you realise what a bad idea it is. Ultimately you need to balance how much you can spend vs what your time and exhaustion is worth.

All the best in your new home!

web

Executive Member
Cost was R80k to move all our goods to New Zealand using a removal company. There is no way I could have sold all my stuff in SA and replaced it here in New Zealand for the same price. Only things we bought new when we got here was a fridge, washing machine and new double bed those three items cost close to R30k in straight conversion terms.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
It depends on how you hit the ground running and how long it takes to ship. Many people wind up regretting sending the container because they secure a rental and then wait months for their beds etc to arrive and then juggle sleeping on the floor and waiting for their stuff to arrive vs just buying new (and then dealing with the stuff they shipped).

That being said things like beds and white goods (fridge, washer, dryer etc) are expensive comparatively. Beds at mid range prices with a mattress can be $1500-$2000 for queen upwards, washing machines around the $400-$500+ mark, family sized fridge from $1000-$4000. If you're working and earning dollars this tends to become a bit for affordable and a little less obscene but buying on converted rands usually feels crazy. If you are going to buy new try buy in June when places have their financial year end sales. Sometimes you can pick things up for well over 50% less.

Final piece of advice if you are coming to Australia. Don't get suckered into buying things just because the store says things are 50% off and you don't want to miss out. Normal price is generally 100% markup and 50% off is generally normal selling price. Everything is always "on sale" here.