Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

MrJacques

+5 for me
I'm unsure if you need to update anything on your EOI, but beware that any changes made that affect your points will change the date of effect and essentially put you in the back of the queue for your new 'bracket'. Draws are made by points, then date of effect.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
I'm unsure if you need to update anything on your EOI, but beware that any changes made that affect your points will change the date of effect and essentially put you in the back of the queue for your new 'bracket'. Draws are made by points, then date of effect.
Won't make a difference in the end. If this allows others to get +5,others will get it and boost the total pool.

MrJacques

Won't make a difference in the end. If this allows others to get +5,others will get it and boost the total pool.
Ok. You can log into your SkillSelect account and get your EOI summary to double check. It might have to do with whether you checked the option of whether your work experience is relevant and the dates. My points auto-updated when they implemented the changes in November.

ChuckNorris

Ag damn, I just updated my EOI earlier this month to compensate for the 2 year on ACS that they subtracted. Thought to myself do the right thing and update the dates before I get a invite that they deem invalid. I'll have to go update it now again.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
It just makes it more difficult for those if us who already have the 10+ years experience. Oh well, I'm already working on Plan B, so it doesn't make much of a difference at this stage.

MrJacques

Aus 189 - Iscah estimates between 800 and 1200 invites for the January draw
https://www.iscah.com/unofficial-skill-select-results-10th-january-2020-189s-491s/

Considerably more invites than earlier rounds but looks like 90+ points is needed to ensure success
I'm still 5 points short this round then, but at least it's progress. The estimates say I'll only get an invite towards November, but I'm hoping they ramp it up towards June / July when it's their 'year end'.

MrJacques

It just makes it more difficult for those if us who already have the 10+ years experience. Oh well, I'm already working on Plan B, so it doesn't make much of a difference at this stage.
I've had a look at Canada and it looks nice. Perhaps a bit too cold. There are many nice cities, almost a bit difficult to choose where to go to. I'll need a provincial nomination to have enough points for an invite.

RandomGeek

I've had a look at Canada and it looks nice. Perhaps a bit too cold. There are many nice cities, almost a bit difficult to choose where to go to. I'll need a provincial nomination to have enough points for an invite.
Just out of interest I also ran my profile through the Canada points calculator - I also would not qualify without an e.g. provincial nomination

phaktza

Executive Member
I'm still 5 points short this round then, but at least it's progress. The estimates say I'll only get an invite towards November, but I'm hoping they ramp it up towards June / July when it's their 'year end'.
Unfortunately they didn't do so last July. Historically it's been a trend, however.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Yeah, while I don't mind the cold, my wife is not a fan. For now we've settled on NZ, as that is probably where my brother and his brother in law will also end up.
Also, my wife can use her qualification as is, without the need for an exam, which is a big plus. And it keeps the Australian option open in 5 years time. Their visa processing times are also MUCH shorter and my wife is in a hurry to make the move.

I am in a very fortunate position that I do have some options (in principle, you never know how they pan out) for other countries.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
They have a limit and not a quota, so I have a feeling that this will not help much

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Yeah, while I don't mind the cold, my wife is not a fan. For now we've settled on NZ, as that is probably where my brother and his brother in law will also end up.
Also, my wife can use her qualification as is, without the need for an exam, which is a big plus. And it keeps the Australian option open in 5 years time. Their visa processing times are also MUCH shorter and my wife is in a hurry to make the move.

I am in a very fortunate position that I do have some options (in principle, you never know how they pan out) for other countries.
Do the NZ thing, and if you don't like it you can always do Australia once the passport is in place. If that was an option we would have done it

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
A question for the NZ guys: Does "Document Ready" include the Police Clearance certificate and Medicals?

I know for Aus you only apply for it when you are invited, but for NZ where you apply for jobs before lodging your EOI they recommend being "document ready" before applying for jobs.

Also, I see that the Skilled Migrant visa has a processing time of 5 - 11 months. I can't see a prospective employer waiting that long. Do they typically expect you to apply for a working visa (22+ days processing time) instead of a Skilled Migrant Visa?
Can you apply for the Skilled Migrant Visa while in NZ working on a Working Visa?

Lastly, I have joined the SAAustralia forum. Is there a similar forum for South Africans migrating to NZ?

I'm overall not a fan of the FB groups, but I've joined a couple of them as well.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
A question for the NZ guys: Does "Document Ready" include the Police Clearance certificate and Medicals?

I know for Aus you only apply for it when you are invited, but for NZ where you apply for jobs before lodging your EOI they recommend being "document ready" before applying for jobs.

Also, I see that the Skilled Migrant visa has a processing time of 5 - 11 months. I can't see a prospective employer waiting that long. Do they typically expect you to apply for a working visa (22+ days processing time) instead of a Skilled Migrant Visa?
Can you apply for the Skilled Migrant Visa while in NZ working on a Working Visa?

Lastly, I have joined the SAAustralia forum. Is there a similar forum for South Africans migrating to NZ?

I'm overall not a fan of the FB groups, but I've joined a couple of them as well.
Doc ready includes PC but not medicals. You may need different types of medicals depending on job/visa etc. My advisor told me not to do a medical until she told me to get one.
You should be "move ready" - ie, all docs up to date and prepared to get on a flight as soon as your work permit comes through (2-6 weeks after you get an offer) before applying for jobs.

You get the work permit, and then you lodge your EOI for PR once you're in the country and working.

There's no skilled migrant visa, it's the skilled migrant category/path to residence.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Doc ready includes PC but not medicals. You may need different types of medicals depending on job/visa etc. My advisor told me not to do a medical until she told me to get one.
You should be "move ready" - ie, all docs up to date and prepared to get on a flight as soon as your work permit comes through (2-6 weeks after you get an offer) before applying for jobs.

You get the work permit, and then you lodge your EOI for PR once you're in the country and working.

There's no skilled migrant visa, it's the skilled migrant category/path to residence.
Thanks!

This is the Skilled Migrant visa I had in mind:

So the timeline is more or less:
1. Be document ready with Police clearance, but not medicals.
2. Apply for jobs, and get a job offer.
3. Lodge EOI, and be invited to apply somewhere between 1 and 2 months (thats what it seems like, if you have 160 points.
4. After being invited, get my medicals done, and as soon as that is done, I can apply for the visa. Medicals should be quick, so lets say a week later.
5. Get the work permit, then fly the next week or so?

So around 2 - 3 months from job offer to flight?

The concerning bit is when to put the house on the market and ship the container off.
House on the market probably after the EOI is lodged?
I would like to be present when the container is packed, and also like to have the permit in hand before shipping our stuff off to a new country.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
^^^ is permanent residence I referred to above. Skilled migrant is the category of permanent residence.

No, your timeline is wrong.
1) Move ready
2) apply for jobs, get offer
3) Apply for work permit, get permit (2-6 weeks), get on plane, start working
4) Submit EOI for PR visa.
5) Invited to apply for PR - week or two I believe if you have enough points
6) Apply for PR
7) Get PR - 6 months or so

I have put my house on the market already - no job offer yet. I will fly over by myself if step 3 happens before house is sold - my wife will stay behind to finalise things. She will supervise packing of container in that case. If the house is sold before the job offers happen, then we'll pack everything into a container, ask the shipping company to store it for us until we know when/where we're going, and go and stay with family until we're ready to go.

It's very doubtful that you will get a job offer that is prepared to wait for the PR to come through. That's why you go work permit first - much quicker process. Skilled work permits are valid for 2-3 years and renewable.
It's unlikely that I will resign from my current job until I am assured that the work permit will be granted - so yeah 3 months or so in that case.

Bear in mind, depending on your skill level, jobs, luck of the draw, you may need to go to NZ for interviews/job hunting etc. At this point I'm hoping to land a job with just skype/video calls.