Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
^^^ is permanent residence I referred to above. Skilled migrant is the category of permanent residence.

No, your timeline is wrong.
1) Move ready
2) apply for jobs, get offer
3) Apply for work permit, get permit (2-6 weeks), get on plane, start working
4) Submit EOI for PR visa.
5) Invited to apply for PR - week or two I believe if you have enough points
6) Apply for PR
7) Get PR - 6 months or so

I have put my house on the market already - no job offer yet. I will fly over by myself if step 3 happens before house is sold - my wife will stay behind to finalise things. She will supervise packing of container in that case. If the house is sold before the job offers happen, then we'll pack everything into a container, ask the shipping company to store it for us until we know when/where we're going, and go and stay with family until we're ready to go.

It's very doubtful that you will get a job offer that is prepared to wait for the PR to come through. That's why you go work permit first - much quicker process. Skilled work permits are valid for 2-3 years and renewable.
It's unlikely that I will resign from my current job until I am assured that the work permit will be granted - so yeah 3 months or so in that case.

Bear in mind, depending on your skill level, jobs, luck of the draw, you may need to go to NZ for interviews/job hunting etc. At this point I'm hoping to land a job with just skype/video calls.
Yeah, thats what I thought as well. 2 - 3 months would seem reasonable.
I'm also hoping to land a job through remote interviews, but will probably go over around May if I haven't landed something by then, as I will probably only start applying end of March.

FlashSA

Executive Member
^^^ is permanent residence I referred to above. Skilled migrant is the category of permanent residence.

1) Move ready
6) Apply for PR

I have put my house on the market already - no job offer yet. I will fly over by myself if step 3 happens before house is sold - my wife will stay behind to finalise things. She will supervise packing of container in that case. If the house is sold before the job offers happen, then we'll pack everything into a container, ask the shipping company to store it for us until we know when/where we're going, and go and stay with family until we're ready to go.

It's very doubtful that you will get a job offer that is prepared to wait for the PR to come through. That's why you go work permit first - much quicker process. Skilled work permits are valid for 2-3 years and renewable.
It's unlikely that I will resign from my current job until I am assured that the work permit will be granted - so yeah 3 months or so in that case.

Bear in mind, depending on your skill level, jobs, luck of the draw, you may need to go to NZ for interviews/job hunting etc. At this point I'm hoping to land a job with just skype/video calls.
Nice summary, Sinbad!

I have decided to cancel the idea of my wife and I going to NZ for our 10yr anniversary holiday and rather use that money better. New plan is to get document ready with my PC and then start applying for jobs from here. But plan B at the same time is to get a tourist visa for my wife and I and go visit her family which recently moved to NZ before xmas. I'll book my wife's return ticket to allow for a 2 week holiday/look see decide and my return ticket will be booked for 2 months later. During our holiday together I'll continue applying and then stay on to continue job hunting while she returns home to carry on life with the kids. Well that's the pencil plan for now.

When I land a job, she'll fire sale everything in our house (all old) and then my brother will most likely buy our house from us. Working for a family business I will probably be able to work remotely from NZ at night and still assist with business matters in exchange for my SA salary to continue until taking up NZ employment. I am very fortunate to have the full emigration backing of my folks, who own the family business.

I'm not so keen to move in winter as I am sure that will add to emigration depression, so I would be keen for this to all work out in the 3rd quarter of this year. It would also help re my kids schooling and my work Ranger will be at prime resale value versus outstanding balance - to be sold at the same time later this year, so that will help the family a bit in not being stuck with a spare leased vehicle in the fleet.

Timing!

pastry

Just received a job offer from an accredited NZ employer.

Applied end October.
2 skype interviews, 1 programming assignment.

Now the fun starts
Congratulations! I was on the same boat in September.
I assume the company is sponsoring your Talent visa through an immigration agent?

To give you an idea of how long the process and timelines are from my personal experience (single and no partner/dependents):
  • Accepted job offer from accredited NZ employer mid September.
  • Booked a local visa medical examination. Checkup was 2 weeks after I applied, took 2 or 3 days to receive the completed medical sheet and results.
  • Organized expedited police clearance with a local company, expensive but fast, assuming your record is clear. Received this a week later. Alternatively via the official route with SAPS, but timeline is random and can apparently take up to 3 months. Just keep in mind you need a police clearance from each country you're a citizen of. In my case, I also needed a police clearance from another country that I was born in which took almost 3 weeks, luckily had relatives there to help.
  • After getting all my documents ready and submitted to the company-sponsored immigration agent, they lodge this with Immigration New Zealand. I did this beginning of November, and received the approved Talent Work to Residence visa about 3-4 weeks later near the end of November.
  • During that 3-4 week period, had to submit my passport to NZ Visa Application center in Pretoria, they just validate your passport, they are very fast and I got it couriered back 2 days later.
  • Once I got the visa, I used it to open up a bank account online and transfered some moola to get me started once I arrived.
  • After arrival I converted my SA drivers license at an AA. 5 minute process. Received my NZ one 4 days later.
  • Currently at a AirBnb for a couple of weeks while searching for a long term place to rent.
Your situation may vary, and I'm not licensed to instruct on visa things, just sharing my experience to maybe ease some unknowns for you as it was a bit stressful for me. Good luck!

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Congratulations! I was on the same boat in September.
I assume the company is sponsoring your Talent visa through an immigration agent?

To give you an idea of how long the process and timelines are from my personal experience (single and no partner/dependents):
  • Accepted job offer from accredited NZ employer mid September.
  • Booked a local visa medical examination. Checkup was 2 weeks after I applied, took 2 or 3 days to receive the completed medical sheet and results.
  • Organized expedited police clearance with a local company, expensive but fast, assuming your record is clear. Received this a week later. Alternatively via the official route with SAPS, but timeline is random and can apparently take up to 3 months. Just keep in mind you need a police clearance from each country you're a citizen of. In my case, I also needed a police clearance from another country that I was born in which took almost 3 weeks, luckily had relatives there to help.
  • After getting all my documents ready and submitted to the company-sponsored immigration agent, they lodge this with Immigration New Zealand. I did this beginning of November, and received the approved Talent Work to Residence visa about 3-4 weeks later near the end of November.
  • During that 3-4 week period, had to submit my passport to NZ Visa Application center in Pretoria, they just validate your passport, they are very fast and I got it couriered back 2 days later.
  • Once I got the visa, I used it to open up a bank account online and transfered some moola to get me started once I arrived.
  • After arrival I converted my SA drivers license at an AA. 5 minute process. Received my NZ one 4 days later.
  • Currently at a AirBnb for a couple of weeks while searching for a long term place to rent.
Your situation may vary, and I'm not licensed to instruct on visa things, just sharing my experience to maybe ease some unknowns for you as it was a bit stressful for me. Good luck!
Interesting, so you got the job offer without being document ready, and it seems that they really wanted to hire you. What occupation, and how did you contact them?
Who did you use for the expedited police clearance, and how much did it cost?

hedgehog

Thank you very much for that.

I have my own immigration agent, I'll have to find out what the company wants to do.

At the beginning of our journey, the immigration consultant told us to immediately go an get our police clearance certificates, they last a long time (6 months), take a long time to get (3 months ?) and are cheap, so it makes sense just to go get them, and renew if needed.

Thanks for the info about the bank account and drivers, was wondering about that.

pastry

Interesting, so you got the job offer without being document ready, and it seems that they really wanted to hire you. What occupation, and how did you contact them?
Who did you use for the expedited police clearance, and how much did it cost?
Experienced mobile developer. They had a recruiter of theirs contact me via LinkedIn. I didn't expect this as I didn't apply anywhere.
I used VisaLogistics for the PC, they quoted me R3.5k.

web

Executive Member

1) Move ready
6) Apply for PR

The above list is slightly incorrect.

Skilled Migrant
4) You submit an EOI for Residency.
5) Your EOI gets chosen, you then apply for Residency.
6) You get Residency.
7) 2 Years later you apply for Permanent Residency as long as you have complied with your conditions stated in your Residency Permit and been in the country for the correct number of days for the 2 years.

If you work for an Accredited Employer and go the Talent Visa route all you need to do is apply for Permit Residency after 2 years you can skip steps 4,5 & 6, but you can't change jobs in that period and you need to earn above the current Salary threshold. Talent Visa is easier but more risky as things can change in 2 years.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks for that... Didn't realize it wasn't permanent.
Are there any differences in rights/treatment between resident and permanent resident?

web

Executive Member
Thanks for that... Didn't realize it wasn't permanent.
Are there any differences in rights/treatment between resident and permanent resident?
Residency you have travel restrictions and it expires after 2 years and you must be in the country when it expires otherwise you need to re-apply.

Permanent Residency has no restrictions on travel.

If you don't plan on leaving the country until you get Citizenship Residency is all you need.

There are other benefits to getting PR, e.g. I can't get more than $250,000 life insurance until I get PR.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Thanks.
How long for citizenship?

What sort of travel restrictions? Can't be out the country for more than x consecutive days etc?

web

Executive Member
Thanks.
How long for citizenship?

What sort of travel restrictions? Can't be out the country for more than x consecutive days etc?
5 years from Residency.

While you have Residency you can come and go as you please until it expires after 2 years. Then if you want to travel you need to apply for PR, if you have no plans to travel then you sit tight until you can get Citizenship after 5 years

JacquesZA

The above list is slightly incorrect.

Skilled Migrant
6) You get Residency.
7) 2 Years later you apply for Permanent Residency as long as you have complied with your conditions stated in your Residency Permit and been in the country for the correct number of days for the 2 years.

If you work for an Accredited Employer and go the Talent Visa route all you need to do is apply for Permit Residency after 2 years you can skip steps 4,5 & 6, but you can't change jobs in that period and you need to earn above the current Salary threshold. Talent Visa is easier but more risky as things can change in 2 years.
Thanks... i thought that once you have a visa that visa rules are locked in for you till it expires ie less risky.

web

Executive Member
Thanks... i thought that once you have a visa that visa rules are locked in for you till it expires ie less risky.
That is correct, but if you lose your job you are then judged by the current rules not the ones in place when you got your first job.

I came here with an accredited employer but applied for a Skilled visa anyway as I had enough points, didn't see the point in risking it

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill
5 years from Residency.

While you have Residency you can come and go as you please until it expires after 2 years. Then if you want to travel you need to apply for PR, if you have no plans to travel then you sit tight until you can get Citizenship after 5 years
Yep, the 2 year threshold is basically when INZ asks you to schit or get off the pot.

Just want to add that it's imperative people know that when their travel conditions expire after 2 years they should be in NZ, because if you’re outside of NZ when they expire, their visa will expire as well.

So a good rule of thumb is that you don't travel out of NZ at all around the 2 year mark, immediately apply for PR, and then travel when you've received your passport (with PR visa) back.

PR application is quick - got ours in 1.5 week.

That is correct, but if you lose your job you are then judged by the current rules not the ones in place when you got your first job.

I came here with an accredited employer but applied for a Skilled visa anyway as I had enough points, didn't see the point in risking it
Yeah, exactly. There's no reason not to, really.

And I think going the work visa route (before applying for residency) is way easier and less stressful than waiting 2 years for PR.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

Sorry to keep asking about the specific details, but when you say you applied straight for the skilled visa, is that the amended timeline in this post:

Skilled Migrant
6) You get Residency.
I also have more than enough points, and want the shortest, lowest risk path to PR.

Effectively what I want to know, is can I get the work permit/visa that's valid for 2 years, and then, immediately upon landing in NZ, apply for the Skilled Migrant residency visa?

web

Executive Member
Sorry to keep asking about the specific details, but when you say you applied straight for the skilled visa, is that the amended timeline in this post:

I also have more than enough points, and want the shortest, lowest risk path to PR.

Effectively what I want to know, is can I get the work permit/visa that's valid for 2 years, and then, immediately upon landing in NZ, apply for the Skilled Migrant residency visa?
That's correct.

ryanrich

So I was doing the planning for when we can apply for AUS citizenship and one of the requirements is that during the last 4 years you weren't out of Australia for more than 12 months in total. We first arrived on our PR visa's in December 2018 for a 2 week visit for the wife to see, before our permanent move over in August 2019. So we are effectively just over a year into our 4 year wait for citizenship, so we will be able to apply for AUS citizenship in December 2022 and still have 4 months of international travel available until that time for holidays, etc, which is great! :)