Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
So I was doing the planning for when we can apply for AUS citizenship and one of the requirements is that during the last 4 years you weren't out of Australia for more than 12 months in total. We first arrived on our PR visa's in December 2018 for a 2 week visit for the wife to see, before our permanent move over in August 2019. So we are effectively just over a year into our 4 year wait for citizenship, so we will be able to apply for AUS citizenship in December 2022 and still have 4 months of international travel available until that time for holidays, etc, which is great! :)
Okay, so hopefully if we hit the ground running soon we can write off 6 months out the country but be 6 months further ahead than we thought. Nice.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Oh G*d I'm blanking on both now! What's my last name again?!
You're phakt....

:D

I don't stress for interviews. Have been on the interrogation side for ages now, and one of the things I've always remembered is getting a previous job because, in the manager's words, I didn't give a damn whether I got the job or not...

Confidence without being overly so is key.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
You're phakt....

I don't stress for interviews. Have been on the interrogation side for ages now, and one of the things I've always remembered is getting a previous job because, in the manager's words, I didn't give a damn whether I got the job or not...

Actually I interview well 90% of the time. Once I begin rambling on about inane anecdotes spanning my career I seem to get their attention.

I really hope I don't get interviewed by Apple fanbois. That cannot end well.

Actually my wife has told me I get to be a stay at home dad for a couple of months. So no rush, just yet.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
You're phakt....

Yeah, I am the same, but since these ones will be important I don't know how confident I will be.
How old are you by the way?

web

Executive Member
Yeah, I am the same, but since these ones will be important I don't know how confident I will be.
How old are you by the way?
Confidence and honesty is important here.

Just don't come across as arrogant it's not something we are looked at positively for here.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Makes sense. I think NZ has plenty of good aspects as well though. Not much beats the beauty of the South Island.
She said the average weekly rent for a three bedroom house in Auckland is $550, despite the weekly wage being just $700-800.

Yeah nah I don't think that's the kind of wage I'm looking at. Hopefully.

2 hour interview/test done. Now to wait for an offer.

cguy

Executive Member
She said the average weekly rent for a three bedroom house in Auckland is $550, despite the weekly wage being just $700-800.

Yeah nah I don't think that's the kind of wage I'm looking at. Hopefully.

2 hour interview/test done. Now to wait for an offer.
The big question is how quickly it will allow you to pay off your R10m house... :)

Good luck with the offer!

web

Executive Member
The big question is how quickly it will allow you to pay off your R10m house... :)

That's the problem with Auckland the houses are crazy, you should earn slightly more but the maths doesn't work.

Sinbad

Honorary Master

Lol SLOWLY!

Thanks. All going according to plan (but does it ever?) we'll have a 25 percent deposit.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
That's the problem with Auckland the houses are crazy, you should earn slightly more but the maths doesn't work.
Slightly?

1000 a week is 50k pa, I'm shooting for at least double that?

cguy

Executive Member
Agreed. It does seem that way for many. I personally could probably work remotely from NZ, but a bit of looking at the pay there does make me feel spoiled in the US.