Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

JacquesZA

Therefore when traffic is stationary at the lights you can lane split on either side; if traffic is moving slowly on the motorway then you must only lane split to the right of a lane. Stick within 20kph or so of the speed of the other traffic otherwise you will likely be stopped and charged with careless driving or dangerous driving, both which carry a substantial fine.
Jip...

GoB

Expert Member
Therefore when traffic is stationary at the lights you can lane split on either side; if traffic is moving slowly on the motorway then you must only lane split to the right of a lane. Stick within 20kph or so of the speed of the other traffic otherwise you will likely be stopped and charged with careless driving or dangerous driving, both which carry a substantial fine.
Not sure what you mean with "to the right of a lane"... it should be done between 2 lanes in the same direction only.
So same as in SA, except that I previously read that you can't go above 50kph and this page states 30kph, with a few other allowances in some states:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Not sure what you mean with "to the right of a lane"... it should be done between 2 lanes in the same direction only.
So same as in SA, except that I previously read that you can't go above 50kph and this page states 30kph, with a few more alowances in some states:
Means you have to be in the lane and to the right of the car. Can't be in the lane to the left of the car.
from rideforever.co.nz

GoB

Expert Member
Means you have to be in the lane and to the right of the car. Can't be in the lane to the left of the car.
from rideforever.co.nz
Oh NZ.. that explains the difference then... it is actual splitting and not filtering.

Practically that is going to be painful since you have to prioritise not getting a fine over safety.
In South Africa, it's so easy to always think about safety only, since the chance of getting a fine is near zero.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Oh NZ.. that explains the difference then... it is actual splitting and not filtering.

Practically that is going to be painful since you have to prioritise not getting a fine over safety.
In South Africa, it's so easy to always think about safety only, since the chance of getting a fine is near zero.
Filtering you're allowed to do as I read it (ie, in stationary traffic)

Reactions: GoB

MrJacques

What does 2020 bring for skilled migrants? (NZ)

Sinbad

Honorary Master
What does 2020 bring for skilled migrants? (NZ)

Interesting...

Well I should be over 104k, and I have about 210 points, so there's that.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
Am now considering sticking my NC700 in the container ....
If you have owned it less than 12 months you will be charged duties importing it. But yeah bikes are expensive here compared to SA. BMW motorrad is also actually cheap in SA in comparison to most countries.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
If you have owned it less than 12 months you will be charged duties importing it. But yeah bikes are expensive here compared to SA. BMW motorrad is also actually cheap in SA in comparison to most countries.
Had it 3 years now...

ryanrich

Bikes are lank expensive here in AUS as well, my folks were over in December for a visit and my Dad was looking. He has a KTM 1190 Adventure R in Cape Town and said they were almost twice the price here for used ones.

I don't see many bikes here and those I do stay behind cars with no lane splitting as was mentioned earlier. I'm still keen on an adventure bike and some trips down the line though.

Last edited:

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I'm having a serious wtf am I doing moment tonight.
Sitting alone waiting for the outcome of a final job interview which should come through next week. I don't know which response I want, emotionally.

Rationally I know we're doing the right thing for us, but it got really intimidating all of a sudden.

I guess I'm just tired and on a bit of adrenaline burnout after the interview which was the 4th one for this job, and a 2 hour marathon including one of the founders of the company.

My fok marelize.

Dave

Honorary Master
I'm having a serious wtf am I doing moment tonight.
Sitting alone waiting for the outcome of a final job interview which should come through next week. I don't know which response I want, emotionally.

Rationally I know we're doing the right thing for us, but it got really intimidating all of a sudden.

I guess I'm just tired and on a bit of adrenaline burnout after the interview which was the 4th one for this job, and a 2 hour marathon including one of the founders of the company.

My fok marelize.
I suspect you're going to have that wtf moment a few times through the process.