Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

cguy

Executive Member
I'm having a serious wtf am I doing moment tonight.
Sitting alone waiting for the outcome of a final job interview which should come through next week. I don't know which response I want, emotionally.

Rationally I know we're doing the right thing for us, but it got really intimidating all of a sudden.

I guess I'm just tired and on a bit of adrenaline burnout after the interview which was the 4th one for this job, and a 2 hour marathon including one of the founders of the company.

My fok marelize.
This does sound like a pretty crazy interview experience, I hope they make it worth your while.

Should things not work our with them, the approach I took when switching industries was to have a pipeline of interviews. This improved the likelihood of me getting an offer, and also allowed me to use multiple offers to push up my starting pay.

web

Executive Member
I'm having a serious wtf am I doing moment tonight.
Sitting alone waiting for the outcome of a final job interview which should come through next week. I don't know which response I want, emotionally.

Rationally I know we're doing the right thing for us, but it got really intimidating all of a sudden.

I guess I'm just tired and on a bit of adrenaline burnout after the interview which was the 4th one for this job, and a 2 hour marathon including one of the founders of the company.

My fok marelize.
It's a huge decision. I don't think anyone goes through the whole process without those thoughts. It's hard but so worth it, it's only when I got out of SA did I realise just how poked the place is.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
This does sound like a pretty crazy interview experience, I hope they make it worth your while.

Should things not work our with them, the approach I took when switching industries was to have a pipeline of interviews. This improved the likelihood of me getting an offer, and also allowed me to use multiple offers to push up my starting pay.
This interview process started within hours of me applying, and I had a good feeling about the company so I've held off other applications. If it doesn't work out, there are a lot of jobs being advertised :)

This place already has 3 sa immigrants working there and they're happy to do the entire process remotely which is a win

Sinbad

Honorary Master
It's a huge decision. I don't think anyone goes through the whole process without those thoughts. It's hard but so worth it, it's only when I got out of SA did I realise just how poked the place is.
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement!

ryanrich

Agree completely!

The process is a challenging one but it gets easier and easier as you go.

JacquesZA

Someone ( maybe here ) said its like a abusive relationship...

You know you have to get out but the fear keeps you and you don’t want to admit that its toxic. So you keep telling yourself things will get better , it will change. But it wont.

People are looking at what they will “give up”

The lapa, the pool the nice german car..the status.

When we had to make the choice i told my wife , lets look not at what we are giving up or what we are scared for in sa.. lets look only at when we will gain.

My children will have a future, not might.. they wil. We will have a awesome outdoorsy life, we will have a clean country to live in, safety, working public transport, working healthcare, true equality etc etc etc the list goes on and on.

And yes once here you keep thinking why did i wait so long?

Don’t get me wrong, every now and then absolute panic cripples me with fear... what if i don’t get that residency! What if we hit a challenge and im all alone with no support..

But just as quickly it is gone and i realise how thankfully i am to be here and just how much possibility lays before me and my wife and children. I am in awe daily looking around me.

web

Executive Member
Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement!
It's taken me two years to settle, I now have everything I had in SA plus a few extra toys. I manage to save every month which I never managed back home. This years goal is to buy a house and get my daughter's here at the end of the year when they turn 18 and their mother can no longer stop them. I did this initially for them but have come to realise it's been hugely beneficial to myself. So chin up and treat the experience as an adventure that you are lucky to be able to undertake. Any doubts or concerns feel free to PM me.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Damn. Failed at the last hurdle.

Back to square one.
Really? Sorry boet, sounded like you had a sure thing.

Though maybe now you won't place all your eggs in one basket - spread bet those job applications. When you're onshore you can maybe shop around a bit more.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Sorry to hear that, at least they got back to you quickly with an answer and didn't drag it out.
It is not easy trying to get a job from over there, you just need to carry on trying.
Thanks man. It was pretty dragged out, I applied at the beginning of December. 5 interviews! But, it's all experience. I have asked them for feedback about where they felt I could improve my skills and presentation, let's see if they get back to me.

web

Executive Member
Thanks man. It was pretty dragged out, I applied at the beginning of December. 5 interviews! But, it's all experience. I have asked them for feedback about where they felt I could improve my skills and presentation, let's see if they get back to me.
In New Zealand that is quick over December that's actually extremely quick. My job my first interview was in July got my offer in October. Then they wanted me here in two weeks

Sinbad

Honorary Master
In New Zealand that is quick over December that's actually extremely quick. My job my first interview was in July got my offer in October. Then they wanted me here in two weeks
Yikes, lol!

cguy

Executive Member
I’ve always been astounded at how off my own radar has been when interviewing. Thought I bombed, got an offer, thought I killed it, was rejected, etc.

I’ve been on the other side now enough that I really don’t have any expectations, since at the end of the day, there are so many unknown (to the candidate) variables that come into play.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I’ve always been astounded at how off my own radar has been when interviewing. Thought I bombed, got an offer, thought I killed it, was rejected, etc.

I’ve been on the other side now enough that I really don’t have any expectations, since at the end of the day, there are so many unknown (to the candidate) variables that come into play.
Yeah
My read was always that I was overqualified for the position, and they were concerned that I would be bored / jump to something more challenging or senior in a short space of time.
I did try to allay that, but obviously not successfully :D

creeper

Executive Member

Agree. You never know. Had great interviews, didn't get the job. Another interview I had, I argued with an executive about a topic, expected I screwed up the interview, got the job.