Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

FlashSA

Executive Member
Received passports for myself and the 2 girls today. Awaiting my wife's to be ready after she finally managed to have the block on her applications removed and she was able to proceed with the photo in house at HA.

I have now sent my marriage register document to 3 different HA staff and they all promised to send it to HA HQ to speed up my unabridged marriage certificate. I'm going to give it another month and then start knocking on doors again to try and get the bloody thing ready for printing. I swear HA are stalling them on purpose to slow down emigration...

jasweb

Received passports for myself and the 2 girls today. Awaiting my wife's to be ready after she finally managed to have the block on her applications removed and she was able to proceed with the photo in house at HA.

I have now sent my marriage register document to 3 different HA staff and they all promised to send it to HA HQ to speed up my unabridged marriage certificate. I'm going to give it another month and then start knocking on doors again to try and get the bloody thing ready for printing. I swear HA are stalling them on purpose to slow down emigration...
Get your BI30 document from your pastor/church and also send it (hand deliver) it to your closest HA office.

Aparently Pretoria has "lost" most of them..

FlashSA

Executive Member
Get your BI30 document from your pastor/church and also send it (hand deliver) it to your closest HA office.

Aparently Pretoria has "lost" most of them..
A BI30 is known as the Marriage Register. As I said, I have already handed it in thrice...

ryanrich

The weather down under is pretty rough these days...

Yeah it's been a bit crazy the last few months, mainly in NSW and a bit in VIC as well. There was quite a bad fire inland here in SA in the Cuddlee Creek area and also on Kangaroo Island offshore, but nothing near us in Adelaide thankfully.

I'd take natural disasters over ANC disasters any day of the week though, lol.

ryanrich

Adelaide ranked number 1 city in AUS/NZ for families 2020. Super grateful every day we live here!

Yarik11

Adelaide ranked number 1 city in AUS/NZ for families 2020. Super grateful every day we live here!
What are your favorite things about living in Adelaide, Ryan?

ryanrich

What are your favorite things about living in Adelaide, Ryan?
Opportunities in my occupation, and a lot of opportunities in the right sectors.

Affordability compared to Melbourne and Sydney is much better. Rent here for instance is around 50% lower for the same type of area in Sydney.

Congestion compared to Melbourne and Sydney is ridiculously better. We did a road-trip to Melbourne in December and it was absolutely crazy in comparison, even just on scale. I can fully understand how younger people would prefer it, as my cousins do, but for families Adelaide is perfect.

We live 2 km's from the beach yet 25 minutes from the city, that just isn't possible in Melbourne or Sydney unless you're a millionaire.

The culture and festival feel is great in the city, smaller scale than Melbourne or Sydney but more "homely".

The close getaways here are incomparable. The beach is on our doorstep, yet if we want a more country vibe we have the best vineyards in Australia in the Adelaide Hills and McLaren Vale which are a 45 minutes drive. Kangaroo Island is a ferry trip which is amazingly beautiful

I personally find people here more laid back and friendly than in the bigger cities and easier to get on with.

Not saying I'd never move, Melbourne does have a lot of benefits to me, mainly family, but for the time being, Adelaide is home, and an awesome home at that.

mrichard

Hi all, just went to the police station to get a new police clearance, my current one is expiring 1 Feb (6 Months). So apparently they do not post it any more, like they did last year, and then I could collect it at them again (Cape Town). Now you still pay the same amount (R114) and they give you the envelope with the Pretoria address and you have to mail it yourself. PostNet said its R400 there and R400 back, DHL in the range of R480 there and R480 back.

Has anyone recently mailed this envelope, isn't there cheaper options like aramex R99 sleeves, would't that work? Not sure about organising to get it back though.

And if I have to do the PostNet way, would I be able to send two envelopes together (Mine and my spouses)?

Anyone who recently dealt with this, any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

GoB

Expert Member
Hi all, just went to the police station to get a new police clearance, my current one is expiring 1 Feb (6 Months). So apparently they do not post it any more, like they did last year, and then I could collect it at them again (Cape Town). Now you still pay the same amount (R114) and they give you the envelope with the Pretoria address and you have to mail it yourself. PostNet said its R400 there and R400 back, DHL in the range of R480 there and R480 back.

Has anyone recently mailed this envelope, isn't there cheaper options like aramex R99 sleeves, would't that work? Not sure about organising to get it back though.

And if I have to do the PostNet way, would I be able to send two envelopes together (Mine and my spouses)?

Anyone who recently dealt with this, any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!
I'm guessing that it's broken telephone again. As nice as some police officers are, they often just try their luck sending you elsewhere.

The website says that forwarding to/from the local police station is a free option.

mrichard

I'm guessing that it's broken telephone again. As nice as some police officers are, they often just try their luck sending you elsewhere.

The website says that forwarding to/from the local police station is a free option.
Yeah, the lady at the station wasn't too enthusiastic, she just said the collect at the station option "doesn't work".
Phoned another station as well and they also said the documents must be couriered by the applicant, no more forwarding and collecting from the police station.

MrJacques

Yeah, the lady at the station wasn't too enthusiastic, she just said the collect at the station option "doesn't work".
Phoned another station as well and they also said the documents must be couriered by the applicant, no more forwarding and collecting from the police station.
Yeah, the documents probably got lost using that method. I've used Internet Express in the past for small parcels. I think they will do documents as well, so maybe contact them and ask. Not sure why Postnet and the other courier wants so much more for these documents.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
so ... LSD mission is a go for March, any tips on what to do/see to help make that decision? Spending 2 days in Sydney (transit visa only), 5 in Auckland, 5 in Wellington

also, do people find the "seminars" of NZ Shores valuable or is it basically the same as just getting their assessment and reading the info on their site?

lastly, can everyone who has a work visa / PR in process for NZ: cancel yours and those who are thinking about it: hold off on your plans until I've made up my mind and can jump ahead in the queue ... please, and thank you!

web

Executive Member
What to see and do, depends on what interests you I supppose?
How you getting from the one to the other driving or flying?

FlashSA

Executive Member
so ... LSD mission is a go for March, any tips on what to do/see to help make that decision? Spending 2 days in Sydney (transit visa only), 5 in Auckland, 5 in Wellington

also, do people find the "seminars" of NZ Shores valuable or is it basically the same as just getting their assessment and reading the info on their site?

lastly, can everyone who has a work visa / PR in process for NZ: cancel yours and those who are thinking about it: hold off on your plans until I've made up my mind and can jump ahead in the queue ... please, and thank you!
Eagerly await your feedback after your trip

Myself and my wife are going to the NZ Shores seminar in PE next month. We have already had our assessment done by them but I would like to hear them in person and meet the consultant who did my assessment and who I would be dealing with (read paying R15k to start the process with)

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Eagerly await your feedback after your trip

Myself and my wife are going to the NZ Shores seminar in PE next month. We have already had our assessment done by them but I would like to hear them in person and meet the consultant who did my assessment and who I would be dealing with (read paying R15k to start the process with)
I don't know if you'll meet the actual consultant you'll be working with?
Mine is in NZ...

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
What to see and do, depends on what interests you I supppose?
How you getting from the one to the other driving or flying?
Flying all the way, will get around within each city by Uber / public transport or some such, might get a rental car for Auckland.

EDIT: oh and interests wise, outdoors, wine, good food and family friendly entertainment seeing as the wife and 3yo daughter are coming along for the LSD mission, I'm more wondering if there are specific things one has to experience that are likely to influence a LSD decision without taking one's interests into account

mrichard

Yeah, the documents probably got lost using that method. I've used Internet Express in the past for small parcels. I think they will do documents as well, so maybe contact them and ask. Not sure why Postnet and the other courier wants so much more for these documents.
I did some digging. Citisprint does it for R230 delivery and R230 collection, so R460 total and they can take 2 envelopes (or probably more) in one shipment. So not too bad

ChuckNorris

I did some digging. Citisprint does it for R230 delivery and R230 collection, so R460 total and they can take 2 envelopes (or probably more) in one shipment. So not too bad
Thanks, I need to get mine done. Thinking of going to saps saturday and get it started. Maybe use this Citisprint.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I don't know if you'll meet the actual consultant you'll be working with?
Mine is in NZ...
They're all based in NZ, but some fly to SA for the seminar's. The consultant who did my assessment is on the list for the PE seminar next month. Sarah (the NZ Shores owner) is also coming out.