Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

Neuk_

Expert Member
HI Neuk. Yes if given a choice I would also prefer the 189/190. But - here are the pros and cons for these 2:

189:
+ PR status
+ Can go live anywhere
+ Relatively simple and consistent to understand application process compared to 190.
+ Relatively easy to understand how good a chance you have to get invited
- They are strangling the life out of this visa - roughly 50% decrease in allocation over the last year. This lead to rocketing points requirement and processing times doubling from 6-7 months to 11-13

190:
+ PR Status
+ They haven't decreased the allocation of this type to my knowledge
+ Processing times are quicker here than for 189; you are looking at 8 to 10 months
- You have to live in a certain state. May or may not be a problem, e.g. a software developer in Tasmania may struggle
- Inconsistent approach - each state has its own list with differing requirements. You will have to do some in-depth investigations to see which states you qualify for
- The process of invitation from the states, and how they select applicants, aren't transparent at all. So you really don't know where you stand at any point

Hope this helps
Thanks, that is a great help and start at comparing, I'll have to research what my qualifications/experience count for and where best to concentrate my efforts.

Neuk_

Expert Member
Yeah it can be confusing. When I was applying I always used this site, you enter your job code and it tells you all the current lists, states and visa's you qualify for.

Thanks bud. A very informative site but it doesn't look good for SA or QLD, NSW looks fien for both my qualification and work experience along with VIC.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Eagerly await your feedback after your trip
at this rate the entire trip might be cancelled :mad: just got this from INZ:
Your application has been accepted for processing as of 16/Jan/2020 at our Beijing office and has not been allocated to an Immigration Officer at this time.

The Beijing branch is currently closed until 17/Feb/2020 or until further notice due an extended Chinese New Year and the Corona Virus.

An Immigration Officer may contact you directly only if any further information is required or when a decision has been made on your application once they return
why in the f#$% a plain 'ol regular visitor visa application from South Africa was assigned to the China office is mind-boggling, but great, this is going to be one ^%$# expensive cancellation potentially

RandomGeek

why in the f#$% a plain 'ol regular visitor visa application from South Africa was assigned to the China office is mind-boggling, but great, this is going to be one ^%$# expensive cancellation potentially
Not mind-boggling at all, its cheaper to process it in China than in New Zealand. What is mind boggling for me is why they just cant re-assign the application to another office. It is 2020 after all, and everything is electronic. Hope this turns out well but you cannot be sure at all that their Beijing office will re-open on the 17th of Feb

Neuk_

Expert Member
Not mind-boggling at all, its cheaper to process it in China than in New Zealand. What is mind boggling for me is why they just cant re-assign the application to another office. It is 2020 after all, and everything is electronic. Hope this turns out well but you cannot be sure at all that their Beijing office will re-open on the 17th of Feb
Hang on, let me get this right...

Processing visa applications is so unimportant to a country it can outsource it to communist China but our former head thief president is too sick to appear in court and his lawyers declare the details a matter of State Security.

The world has gone mad!

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Hang on, let me get this right...

Processing visa applications is so unimportant to a country it can outsource it to communist China but our former head thief president is too sick to appear in court and his lawyers declare the details a matter of State Security.

The world has gone mad!
The core employees are new zealanders at each embassy, so it probably doesn't matter which embassy received it for processing, with it being electronic. Bad luck of the draw in this round for a case officer, the sa embassy is probably overflowing with applications so the overflow got diverted.

On a side, referring to china as communist is probably outdated nowadays. It's a totalitarian political system that has a heavy capitalistic market. Not sure which country still even employs the whole doctor-salary-is-equal-to-toilet-cleaner-salary, or the you-farm-10-cows-the-state-takes-them-and-gives-you-milk.

web

Executive Member

Painful, but phone INZ in New Zealand they are really helpful

GoB

Expert Member
Australia already belongs to China, so I guess NZ might also. :D

Anyway you have till March so probably ok.. though Beijing's not in the best condition either.

( just repeating the troll comment of serpentza )

Last edited:

MrJacques

Australia already belongs to China, so I guess NZ might also. :D

Anyway you have till March so probably ok.. though Beijing's not in the best condition either.

( just repeating the troll comment of serpentza )
With China's dealings with SA, could I just migrate to their Aus territory without a Visa? :unsure: :p

MrJacques

Submitted an EOI for a State Nominated (190) for South Aus (where Adelaide is). I might do one for Western Aus (Perth) as well. With how difficult it is to get a Visa these days I might as well have my name in another hat or two.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Submitted an EOI for a State Nominated (190) for South Aus (where Adelaide is). I might do one for Western Aus (Perth) as well. With how difficult it is to get a Visa these days I might as well have my name in another hat or two.
SA might not be happy or even allow you to submit and EOI in another state. Just check first.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

MrJacques

SA might not be happy or even allow you to submit and EOI in another state. Just check first.
I think Vic is the same, but they are stingy with their invites and my EOI for their 190 has been in for a while, so I might as well try S.A. I think if they do select you they just ask you to withdraw your 190 for any other state.

MrJacques

Neuk_

Expert Member
Has anyone done the PTE Academic test? Engineers Australia accepts the following IELTSTM (General and Academic), TOEFL iBT® and PTE ACADEMIC tests.

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
I think Vic is the same, but they are stingy with their invites and my EOI for their 190 has been in for a while, so I might as well try S.A. I think if they do select you they just ask you to withdraw your 190 for any other state.
Maybe it was Vic that was anally retentive. Could be confusing it with the guy that got his 190 taken over by QLD from SA.

MrJacques

Has anyone done the PTE Academic test? Engineers Australia accepts the following IELTSTM (General and Academic), TOEFL iBT® and PTE ACADEMIC tests.
Definitely do PTE-A if you can. I did IELTS first because they don't have PTE-A in P.E. and they mark the writing very strictly, it's difficult to get top marks in that section. Plus, you have to book way in advance and results take 2 weeks. With PTE-A you can get a booking much quicker and usually get the results the next day. Buy and do the practice tests and watch the E2Language videos on Youtube. It's fairly easy once you know how to anser in the format they want and the writing is marked more leniently.

RandomGeek

If you have the option of PTE-A then do that. It's quick, less painful and results are almost immediate.
I concur on PTE-Academic - especially if you work on computers every day and the last time you did a hand-written essay was in high school.

IELTS has 4 sections, 3 of which are OK but the Written portion is KAK difficult to get 8 out of 9.

So just do the PTE-A once instead of 2 or 3 times for IELTS