Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

Neuk_

Expert Member
Thanks for the feedback, PTE-A it is then, although I read that for the 189 visa I can use my British passport to prove I have competent English. Has anybody done this before? I am not sure if Engineers Australia accepts this so I would most likely still have to do the PTE-A anyway.

Last edited:

ElixirCoder

Thanks for the feedback, PTE-A it is then, although I read that for the 189 visa I can use my British passport to prove I have competent English. Has anybody does this before? I am not sure if Engineers Australia accepts this so I would most likely still have to do the PTE-A anyway.
You probably shouldn't show them this post then.

Neuk_

Expert Member
You probably shouldn't show them this post then.
Straight from their website to this one...

To prove you have competent English, provide evidence:

• that you are a citizen of and hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland, with your application

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
I have no idea how they can declare the entire UK as competent English speakers.

Some of those accents and their accompanying grammar are atrocious at the best of times...

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Straight from their website to this one...
That might only be for the visa application but not the skills assessment.

Edit: I stand corrected

"The following applicants may be exempt from the requirement to provide an English language test:

• Applicants who have completed an Australian undergraduate engineering qualification or a 2 year Masters degree or PhD program at an Australian university. Documentary evidence of successful completion of the Australian qualification is required for exemption on this basis;

• Applicants who are native English speakers. A native English speaker is a person who lived and was educated (primary, secondary and tertiary education) in the country where the official language is English: Australia, New Zealand, the United States of America, the United Kingdom, Ireland and Canada (excluding Quebec).

• Applicants under the Accord pathway that hold a minimum academic level of a Bachelor degree from any of the above listed countries may also be eligible for exemption.

Please note, exemptions are determined on a case by case basis and Engineers Australia reserves the right to request an English language test result at any stage of the assessment."

However it has been mentioned, even though you're exempt, you may not get visa points if you don't do the test - can anyone confirm?

Neuk_

Expert Member
I have no idea how they can declare the entire UK as competent English speakers.

Some of those accents and their accompanying grammar are atrocious at the best of times...
If you've ever been to Australia, you would wonder how most of the 'foreign' population passed any English competence test.

Neuk_

Expert Member
That might only be for the visa application but not the skills assessment.
As I said already, I will most likely have to do the test, Engineers Australia does have an option for native English speakers to prove their competence in English but it may simply be easier to do a test.

P924

Expert Member
Thanks for the feedback, PTE-A it is then, although I read that for the 189 visa I can use my British passport to prove I have competent English. Has anybody done this before? I am not sure if Engineers Australia accepts this so I would most likely still have to do the PTE-A anyway.
You will only get competent english with your passport, regardless of EA requirements, so if you want to claim 20 points for superior English you have to do the test.

Neuk_

Expert Member
You will only get competent english with your passport, regardless of EA requirements, so if you want to claim 20 points for superior English you have to do the test.
That is a good point, thanks for the input.

ryanrich

Yup, my wife didn’t have to do a test as her degree was in English but I did the PTE-A as I wanted Superior English and 20 points. Competent English is only 10 points.

RandomGeek

Yup, this will cover you for EA.

But you still need to satisfy DHA to get 20 points, and that means a test of some kind

SmartKit

SmartKit Rep
Ok, so that's the story. I couldn't quite remember.

FlashSA

Executive Member
So I was just at Home Affairs with my wife to collect her smart id and passport. While sitting and waiting, she suggested I go check on our unabridged Marriage Certificate. I said naah, I'll give it till end of Feb.

She eventually nagged enough so I got up and joined that queue. Got to a person, gave my ID nr. "It has been modified" was the answer. So I was like, huh? I asked her if it's ready and she said yes!!!!

I kissed the paper when she printed it out and gave it to me.

Happy F'ing Day!!!!!!!

ryanrich

So I was just at Home Affairs with my wife to collect her smart id and passport. While sitting and waiting, she suggested I go check on our unabridged Marriage Certificate. I said naah, I'll give it till end of Feb.

She eventually nagged enough so I got up and joined that queue. Got to a person, gave my ID nr. "It has been modified" was the answer. So I was like, huh? I asked her if it's ready and she said yes!!!!

Happy F'ing Day!!!!!!!
Nice one! And your wife will now remind you it’s best to listen to her, haha.

AdrianH

Expert Member

Happy F'ing Day!!!!!!!
When did you apply for it?

RandomGeek

at this rate the entire trip might be cancelled :mad: just got this from INZ:

why in the f#$% a plain 'ol regular visitor visa application from South Africa was assigned to the China office is mind-boggling, but great, this is going to be one ^%$# expensive cancellation potentially
@NarrowBandFtw some more info to your visa and the Beijing closure
"What hasn't been built into the existing system it seems is how to deal with the risk to the entire system by the creation of single processing hubs for specific visa types. INZ chose the Beijing office to process all global visitor visas which was a logical choice given the importance of the Chinese tourist market to New Zealand.
..."