Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

FlashSA

Executive Member
When did you apply for it?
12 September last year.

Handed my marriage register in at application
Handed it in again when I applied for my passport last month.
Emailed a copy to someone at DHA last month
My wife gave a 4th copy of the marriage register to a very sharp guy at our local HA when she had her photo taken for passport and ID.

I believe it was the last guy who actually got it done.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
@NarrowBandFtw some more info to your visa and the Beijing closure
"What hasn't been built into the existing system it seems is how to deal with the risk to the entire system by the creation of single processing hubs for specific visa types. INZ chose the Beijing office to process all global visitor visas which was a logical choice given the importance of the Chinese tourist market to New Zealand.
..."

thanks, that's useful information, my only hope is some luck and keeping an eye on their update page: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/media-centre/news-notifications/coronavirus-update-inz-response

Need that visa to still apply for an Aus transit visa which usually takes 72 hours, but of course the coronavirus situation, or something, has extended processing time to 8 days according to https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times

So ... INZ Beijing office opens on 17 Feb again (maybe), Aus transit visa takes another 8 days, flight departs 1 March ... not looking good :mad:

Cancellation fees / losses will be in excess of R10k

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Tough spot to be in @NarrowBandFtw good luck
Thanks, my plan is basically to hope for a miracle by the end of next week, not planning on waiting for this office opening 17 Feb, at least if I cancel before then I get all my accom costs back

Travel insurance?
comprehensive cover that would have covered these types of losses, would have cost an extra R3k anyway, the "basic" travel insurance I have covers f-all, but at least it was free

so yeah I would have lost about R7k less had I spent that R3k

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Thanks for the feedback, PTE-A it is then, although I read that for the 189 visa I can use my British passport to prove I have competent English. Has anybody done this before? I am not sure if Engineers Australia accepts this so I would most likely still have to do the PTE-A anyway.
For the 189 you definitely want the "Superior" English score, so it's a moot point.
I would urge everyone to do the PTE-A first, and do IELTS if they get a low speaking score but a high writing score. My wife was one of the few who did better in IELTS than PTE-A.

ryanrich

For the 189 you definitely want the "Superior" English score, so it's a moot point.
I would urge everyone to do the PTE-A first, and do IELTS if they get a low speaking score but a high writing score. My wife was one of the few who did better in IELTS than PTE-A.
That’s impressive! My English is pretty good, especially my writing, but after two rounds of IELTS I couldn’t crack more than 6.5 on the essay section which lead me to believe it's a money making racket. For PTE-A I scored near 100% on all sections. Actually pissed me off that I fell short of a perfect score, lol.

Last edited:

RandomGeek

No invite for me yet. But at least it's progress i.t.o. the queue moving a bit. At 85 points it looks like I might be waiting a while longer. Unless the state nomination comes through faster.
At least you have multiple hooks in the water, one of them will lead to a bite I'm sure :thumbsup:

reactor_sa

Executive Member
That’s impressive! My English is pretty good, especially my writing, but after two rounds of IELTS I couldn’t crack more than 6.5 on the essay section which lead me to believe it's a money making racket. For PTE-A I scored near 100% on all sections. Actually pissed me off that I fell short of a perfect score, lol.

Haha, I beat you, got 100 for everything bar one support which I scored 99.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

I got 8.5 avg on IELTS, with 7.5 for writing, and then 90's for PTE-A. My enabling skills wasn't as good as yours though, with a couple just above 80.

My wife got 36 for speaking in the PTE, much less than she got in the practice tests. We suspect it was nerves and the very sensitive microphone that didn't really work out for her. She got 73 for writing.
She then got 8 for speaking in the IELTS, and 6.5 for writing. Luckily she only needs competent English for the extra 5 points.

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Did the final bag weigh today. We have 66KG's between myself and my wife which is 6KG's over what we can take. This is with a decent cull of stuff we don't need.

Think we will use a airfreight service for the last bit. Anyone given those a try?

Spizz

Goat Botherer
Did the final bag weigh today. We have 66KG's between myself and my wife which is 6KG's over what we can take. This is with a decent cull of stuff we don't need.

Think we will use a airfreight service for the last bit. Anyone given those a try?
Do you mean an airfreight service for 6kg?

I’m assuming your luggage allowance is 30kg each? Who are you flying with?

RandomGeek

May I ask how you managed that? I though it's when your PCC / Medicals expire? And those are usually only valid for a year?
I think it used to be that way "when your PCC / Medicals expire".

BUT, now that processing times are reaching 10-12 months, they would have a situation where everyone would be asking for an extension in order not to have to rush there in 1-2 months.

From some other forums a one year IED from grant date seem to be the norm for 189 now (no idea regarding the other visa subclasses)