Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

GoB

Expert Member
Me and RandomGeek still Visa buddies - I'm granted as well, thanks agent Jennifer! :D

I think it used to be that way "when your PCC / Medicals expire".

BUT, now that processing times are reaching 10-12 months, they would have a situation where everyone would be asking for an extension in order not to have to rush there in 1-2 months.

From some other forums a one year IED from grant date seem to be the norm for 189 now (no idea regarding the other visa subclasses)
So we don't have to renew either, just take the older PCC with?

RandomGeek

Me and RandomGeek still Visa buddies - I'm granted as well, thanks agent Jennifer! :D

So we don't have to renew either, just take the older PCC with?
I honestly don't know if we need to take the PCC along - they have the current one on file. Have to check the grant documents carefully...

What I also don't know is when you apply for citizenship a few years down the line, if you then need to provide new PCCs.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Channel 403 will help you decide on emigration if you're on the fence.

You're welcome.

ryanrich

I honestly don't know if we need to take the PCC along - they have the current one on file. Have to check the grant documents carefully...

What I also don't know is when you apply for citizenship a few years down the line, if you then need to provide new PCCs.
Why would you need to bring your PCC with? Once your electronic visa is added to your passport that’s it.

Congrats BTW, awesome news! :)

GoB

Expert Member
Why would you need to bring your PCC with? Once your electronic visa is added to your passport that’s it.

Congrats BTW, awesome news! :)
Thanks. :) Everything is coming with regardless... but PCC will be expired, unlike with the previous rule which didn't allow anyone entry after expiry.

ryanrich

Thanks. :) Everything is coming with regardless... but PCC will be expired, unlike with the previous rule which didn't allow anyone entry after expiry.
Yeah best to just bring what you have with anyway, I think I made hard copies of all my docs as well on our first trip in because I was worried, but nothing was asked or anything, they scanned our passports and in we came. Have been out and in again since then and same story. There is also a form you fill out for immigration before landing listing if you've been in Africa, etc, and I said yes and put South Africa in brackets. They took it and said nah South Africa isn't Africa, they mean real Africa, haha. They also tend to just wave you through the checks when they hear you're from SA, think they're used to so many SA expats now.

• Haha
Reactions: GoB

ChuckNorris

Yeah best to just bring what you have with anyway, I think I made hard copies of all my docs as well on our first trip in because I was worried, but nothing was asked or anything, they scanned our passports and in we came. Have been out and in again since then and same story. There is also a form you fill out for immigration before landing listing if you've been in Africa, etc, and I said yes and put South Africa in brackets. They took it and said nah South Africa isn't Africa, they mean real Africa, haha. They also tend to just wave you through the checks when they hear you're from SA, think they're used to so many SA expats now.
This was the funniest part of our whole trip. My wife's card had ticked off Africa, was in contact with farm animals, medicine(injections for her pregnancy), and nuts(small travel packet) . We went through to bag inspection, guy looked at our card. Asked if we have any biltong or droewors. We said no and he said we can go. Did not check anything.

RandomGeek

This was the funniest part of our whole trip. My wife's card had ticked off Africa, was in contact with farm animals, medicine(injections for her pregnancy), and nuts(small travel packet) . We went through to bag inspection, guy looked at our card. Asked if we have any biltong or droewors. We said no and he said we can go. Did not check anything.
They were being clever, no-one in their right mind messes with a pregnant woman after a long flight

RandomGeek

thanks, that's useful information, my only hope is some luck and keeping an eye on their update page: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/media-centre/news-notifications/coronavirus-update-inz-response

Need that visa to still apply for an Aus transit visa which usually takes 72 hours, but of course the coronavirus situation, or something, has extended processing time to 8 days according to https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-processing-times/global-visa-processing-times

So ... INZ Beijing office opens on 17 Feb again (maybe), Aus transit visa takes another 8 days, flight departs 1 March ... not looking good :mad:

Cancellation fees / losses will be in excess of R10k
@NarrowBandFtw did you decide to go ahead or to cancel - I hear NZ is issuing visitor visas again?

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
Do you mean an airfreight service for 6kg?

I’m assuming your luggage allowance is 30kg each? Who are you flying with?
Flying with Qantas. Luggage is 30KG's each. Have done an airfreight for a 20KG bag with SevenSeas and hope it gets there now.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Flying with Qantas. Luggage is 30KG's each. Have done an airfreight for a 20KG bag with SevenSeas and hope it gets there now.
Did you tell Qantas you're emigrating and ask what the excess would cost?

F1ve_Claw

Expert Member
They told me to use the calculator. Worked out at R2800 per 5KG's. For R3500 I just used Sevenseas to send the whole bag of 19KG's.

End of the day its stuff that I did not want to get rid of, but could do without for a little while. I did not need as many suits for when I first land, and those were heavy!

RandomGeek

Worked out at R2800 per 5KG's
They (Qantas) are taking the p1ss when it comes to freight - works out to R560/kg. And cargo does not need to be fed, given coffee and treated nicely.

In comparison, a 100kg passenger, paying R10k for a one way ticket, works out to R100/kg.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
@NarrowBandFtw did you decide to go ahead or to cancel - I hear NZ is issuing visitor visas again?
Where did you hear that?!? INZ's own website keeps posting "updates" every few days, but the message does not change AT ALL: Beijing office closed till minimum 17 Feb, trying to minimize impact, "urgently" looking at refunds blablablabla

I've actually saved the latest pdf in order to compare it with the next "update", I'm 99% convinced they just change the timestamp every time with F-ALL new information, this pdf fwiw:

To answer your question though, I have not yet cancelled, but there is no indication whatsoever that visitor visas are being issued as far as I know, so if you know something else I'd be very much interested. Basically I will have to cancel in the next few days to at least avoid even higher penalty fees than I'm already going to lose ... :(

RandomGeek

Where did you hear that?!? INZ's own website keeps posting "updates" every few days, but the message does not change AT ALL: Beijing office closed till minimum 17 Feb, trying to minimize impact, "urgently" looking at refunds blablablabla

I've actually saved the latest pdf in order to compare it with the next "update", I'm 99% convinced they just change the timestamp every time with F-ALL new information, this pdf fwiw:

To answer your question though, I have not yet cancelled, but there is no indication whatsoever that visitor visas are being issued as far as I know, so if you know something else I'd be very much interested. Basically I will have to cancel in the next few days to at least avoid even higher penalty fees than I'm already going to lose ... :(
Dated today

"...
Some positive news to end, however. Visitor Visas now seem to be being issued once again and we have had at least one issued this week for a South African client that was filed in mid-January.

That's a real relief for us and our clients looking to come over and find jobs...."

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
"...
Some positive news to end, however. Visitor Visas now seem to be being issued once again and we have had at least one issued this week for a South African client that was filed in mid-January.

That's a real relief for us and our clients looking to come over and find jobs...."
I'm quite skeptical of that one, my application was submitted "mid-January" too, 16 Jan to be exact, it has not even been assigned to a person yet.

Then there is this INZ update just published:
On Saturday 15 February, the Government extended the travel restrictions for a further eight days until Monday 24 February 2020
INZ’s Beijing office remains temporarily closed

RandomGeek

I'm quite skeptical of that one, my application was submitted "mid-January" too, 16 Jan to be exact, it has not even been assigned to a person yet.

Then there is this INZ update just published:
Sh1tty situation to be in dude...really crap that you are in it

web

Executive Member

Have you phoned them?, I had an issue with my daughter's visas taking to long in 2018 phoned them and spoke to them and said they where flying in a week. Visas were approved then next day.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Have you phoned them?, I had an issue with my daughter's visas taking to long in 2018 phoned them and spoke to them and said they where flying in a week. Visas were approved then next day.
In all honesty, no I haven't. I have been in contact via email and they've been responsive, but mostly with the same information: routed to Beijing, will only be looked at once the office reopens etc etc etc

I believe you that a phone call could be more effective, but then again the wife has gone all crazy on planning a birthday party for the little one now that there's a chance we're still here for her birthday and a whole bunch of other factors where cancelling this trip won't be the worst thing in the world, the financial loss is the only bit that stings.

So I guess that means I've resigned myself to fate in a way. :X3:

reactor_sa

Executive Member
When I asked them a few years ago they said to check the website which doesn't mention anything about emigration. Basically they just day it is what it is no exceptions.
Qantas is probably the most profitable airline in the world, absolutely nothing for free and maximum profit on everything.