Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
20 Feb update from INZ fyi:
INZ’s Beijing office remains temporarily closed

so as of yesterday the LSD mission is officially cancelled, waiting on refunds from AirBnb and Qantas, spoke to a lovely empathetic lady at AirNZ who confirmed what I already knew (no refund) and politely asked INZ to note that if this visa ever comes through, a 1 year or more validity would at least mean I can still use it

on the upside, seems there's a small chance the Qantas flight is fully refunded, yesterday they amended the flight due to SAA changes and it looks like you get a freebie flight change / cancellation as a result, holding thumbs

another upside: I no longer have the shame of having an SAA booking in my future :cool:

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
20 Feb update from INZ fyi:

so as of yesterday the LSD mission is officially cancelled, waiting on refunds from AirBnb and Qantas, spoke to a lovely empathetic lady at AirNZ who confirmed what I already knew (no refund) and politely asked INZ to note that if this visa ever comes through, a 1 year or more validity would at least mean I can still use it

on the upside, seems there's a small chance the Qantas flight is fully refunded, yesterday they amended the flight due to SAA changes and it looks like you get a freebie flight change / cancellation as a result, holding thumbs

another upside: I no longer have the shame of having an SAA booking in my future :cool:
Did you buy a non-refundable ticket? If you are still intending to travel to nz, you can maybe try request a date change to your departure/return dates (fees apply) from airnz. If you do the math and it works out cheaper than making a new booking in future, choose a faraway date and then do another date change to the actual travel date when you are ready to go, or just the actual future date if you know you will be able to travel then. Not sure about nz visa requirements, if they require a live itinerary then at least you still have the existing ticket.

Edit: Didn't read your initial story to travel to new zealand, did you buy separate tickets since you mentioned saa, qantas and airnz? May have been better if you bought your whole itinerary on one reservation, then your ticket changes only need to be handled through one airline.

Last edited:

RandomGeek

Any members here who is familiar with Melbourne? Specifically, I would like to know in which areas/suburbs the tech/IT/telco industries are concentrated in?

And a follow-up question, given the above, which suburbs are best for living in (affordably priced, not too far from the "work" suburbs, family with kids)?

MrJacques

Someone who works in the same office that I do had his 491 Visa granted.

They are fast tracking these Visas:

Submitted his E.O.I. in Nov / Dec
Received an invite on 10 / 11 Jan
Applied at the end of Jan after doing medicals (P.C.C. was already done)
Received the Visa grant +- 18th Feb.

Not sure which ANZCO code, but it's I.T. related. He has family sponsorship which gave him an extra 15 points. He's looking to go to Newcastle.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Did you buy a non-refundable ticket?
yip, in countless flights it has never bitten me before, until now of course

If you are still intending to travel to nz, you can maybe try request a date change to your departure/return dates (fees apply) from airnz. If you do the math and it works out cheaper than making a new booking in future, choose a faraway date and then do another date change to the actual travel date when you are ready to go
thought about that, but luckily the AirNZ flight was pretty cheap, so just cancelled

did you buy separate tickets since you mentioned saa, qantas and airnz? May have been better if you bought your whole itinerary on one reservation, then your ticket changes only need to be handled through one airline.
the whole itinerary on one ticket was not possible, mostly because it wasn't a normal return ticket, it was multi-city with a 3 day stay in Sydney, I booked everything with Qantas that I could, but the flight from Auckland to Wellington was not possible, so the SAA/Qantas flights were one booking and AirNZ was a separate booking

ryanrich

Any members here who is familiar with Melbourne? Specifically, I would like to know in which areas/suburbs the tech/IT/telco industries are concentrated in?

And a follow-up question, given the above, which suburbs are best for living in (affordably priced, not too far from the "work" suburbs, family with kids)?
@^^vampire^^ lives in Melbs and works in IT so will be able to answer all of those questions.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member

Almost all the IT jobs are based in the city or suburbs within about 10 mins of the city center. Obviously there are others all around but just about everything corporate is located within the city itself. You will most likely have to take the train in daily (or tram if you live a bit closer).

When I arrived in Melbourne I stayed in Brighton East (very upper class area) and trammed to St Kilda (5-10 mins south of city centre) which took about 45 mins. I then rented in Mount Waverley for about 2.5 years. This is an upper class suburb mostly populated by older Australians, nice and quiet and close to schools and 30 min by train to Flinders Street Station (main city centre station). This area worked out well for us and my GF managed to kickstart her getting into a teacher position because there were many schools located within the vicinity of the area. You would have to do more info gathering on which schools you would be eligible to send kids to though as we have no kids so never looked into this. If you can afford it I would recommend trying to send kids to a catholic school if possible. They have extra funding from the Catholic office and are generally better resourced than government schools. By better resourced I mean each kid would have their own Chromebook etc where in public they may have one device per 2 kids etc. There are school fees in catholic education though at about $2500 per year per kid. Alternatively send them to public school they will still be fine it's just an observation I have made because my GF works at a catholic school.

To aid in your search download the PTV (public transport victoria) app from the app store. You can put in a starting and end destination and it will tell you what combination of buses/trams/trains you need to use to get to your destination as well as how long it will take. Don't forget to buy a myki card so you can use public transport. You can load a pass for unlimited use (monthly pass is about $170) or if you are a less frequent traveller just load cash as the transport cap per day is about $9 now. Also take into account that for your own sanity you will want to be staying in an area where the actual train line is shorter (Mount Waverley station is 3rd from the end of the line and the line is short so fewer people getting on and off) so you can actually get a seat during peak times. I currently stay near Cranbourne which is pretty far out (1h10m to flinders) and my starting station is at the end of the line and it's one of the longest. This means I get a seat in the morning. A handful of people at the next stop get a seat but mostly everyone after the first stop have to spend the 1h 5m commute standing in each others armpits. Try rent close to a train station if that is the mode of transport you will be using so you can walk there. Unless you go to the station at 5am you won't get parking.
Do not rent in the west of the city. There are a lot of South Africans renting/living in Point Cook and they all say they love it but it is a nightmare for commuters. It takes hours to get over the westgate bridge and if there is an accident you're screwed. The closest station there is too far to walk and unless you buy the actual train station nearby you have no hope in hell in parking your car there. Also most of the gangs seem to operate on the west side.

Anything else you need to know just ask.

ryanrich

Yeah I think in just about every major city in AUS the IT jobs will be either in the CBD or directly around it. My office is 2 km's outside of the city and just about all my clients are in the city or around it.

What's nice about Adelaide though is you can live near the beach yet still only 25 minutes drive from the city. ;) Except at the moment as the Adelaide 500 Superloop is on the go in the city, supercars, monster trucks, bands and alcoholic festivities and what have you, so traffic is a nightmare.

From next month I'm gonna start taking the tram in to work, it's just 5 minutes walk from my house and takes 30 minutes to get to the city, but it will save me a fortune in petrol costs. I so love this XR6 of mine, but my AVERAGE consumption is now touching 15L per 100km, lol.

RandomGeek

Almost all the IT jobs are based in the city or suburbs within about 10 mins of the city center. Obviously there are others all around but just about everything corporate is located within the city itself. You will most likely have to take the train in daily (or tram if you live a bit closer).

When I arrived in Melbourne I stayed in Brighton East (very upper class area) and trammed to St Kilda (5-10 mins south of city centre) which took about 45 mins. I then rented in Mount Waverley for about 2.5 years. This is an upper class suburb mostly populated by older Australians, nice and quiet and close to schools and 30 min by train to Flinders Street Station (main city centre station). This area worked out well for us and my GF managed to kickstart her getting into a teacher position because there were many schools located within the vicinity of the area. You would have to do more info gathering on which schools you would be eligible to send kids to though as we have no kids so never looked into this. If you can afford it I would recommend trying to send kids to a catholic school if possible. They have extra funding from the Catholic office and are generally better resourced than government schools. By better resourced I mean each kid would have their own Chromebook etc where in public they may have one device per 2 kids etc. There are school fees in catholic education though at about $2500 per year per kid. Alternatively send them to public school they will still be fine it's just an observation I have made because my GF works at a catholic school.

To aid in your search download the PTV (public transport victoria) app from the app store. You can put in a starting and end destination and it will tell you what combination of buses/trams/trains you need to use to get to your destination as well as how long it will take. Don't forget to buy a myki card so you can use public transport. You can load a pass for unlimited use (monthly pass is about $170) or if you are a less frequent traveller just load cash as the transport cap per day is about $9 now. Also take into account that for your own sanity you will want to be staying in an area where the actual train line is shorter (Mount Waverley station is 3rd from the end of the line and the line is short so fewer people getting on and off) so you can actually get a seat during peak times. I currently stay near Cranbourne which is pretty far out (1h10m to flinders) and my starting station is at the end of the line and it's one of the longest. This means I get a seat in the morning. A handful of people at the next stop get a seat but mostly everyone after the first stop have to spend the 1h 5m commute standing in each others armpits. Try rent close to a train station if that is the mode of transport you will be using so you can walk there. Unless you go to the station at 5am you won't get parking.
Do not rent in the west of the city. There are a lot of South Africans renting/living in Point Cook and they all say they love it but it is a nightmare for commuters. It takes hours to get over the westgate bridge and if there is an accident you're screwed. The closest station there is too far to walk and unless you buy the actual train station nearby you have no hope in hell in parking your car there. Also most of the gangs seem to operate on the west side.

Thanks @^^vampire^^ some good info here! Always good to hear of someone's first-hand experience. And gangs in the west of the city - I will feel right at home :) Just kidding I don't want any of that sh1te close to me

ryanrich

Thanks @^^vampire^^ some good info here! Always good to hear of someone's first-hand experience. And gangs in the west of the city - I will feel right at home :) Just kidding I don't want any of that sh1te close to me
You’ll feel right at home in Melbourne if African gangs are your thing, lol.

GoB

Expert Member
What about Canberra?

I never considered it before with mostly government jobs requiring citizenship.

But I see some (at least one) job ads advertising under Sydney on seek.com for software devs to consider Canberra.

I guess for me the biggest consideration is my wife's industry... probably not going to exist there.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
What about Canberra?

I never considered it before with mostly government jobs requiring citizenship.

But I see some (at least one) job ads advertising under Sydney on seek.com for software devs to consider Canberra.

I guess for me the biggest consideration is my wife's industry... probably not going to exist there.
Um good amount of sunlight when there's no bushfire smoke, but Melbourne and Sydney were smart to send all the politicians to their own city far from everyone else. Politicians... *Spits*

RandomGeek

I also see why you say do not rent in the west of the city...St Albans fatal axe murder. WTF???

reactor_sa

Executive Member
I also see why you say do not rent in the west of the city...St Albans fatal axe murder. WTF???

Yeah apparently loads of refugees west side. Don't want to trek 10,000km just to have the same crap as back where you left.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Um good amount of sunlight when there's no bushfire smoke, but Melbourne and Sydney were smart to send all the politicians to their own city far from everyone else. Politicians... *Spits*
Yeah I'm not sure about now but Canberra was HEAVILY affected by the smoke from the fires. I drove from Sydney to Canberra on 31 December and it was hazy all over. On new years eve the smoke decended while we were there and it was deemed the most polluted city in the world at that time.

Canberra itself is boring as ****. Besides their shopping centre in the middle of the "city" and a few restaurant/bars there is very little to do there. I was there for 2 days and that was more that enough to see and do everything and still had time left over to be bored.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Yeah apparently loads of refugees west side. Don't want to trek 10,000km just to have the same crap as back where you left.
They are also in the South East but not as bad as the west. Still there is almost daily reports all over Melbourne of African youths stealing from shops, mugging kids on trains and at bus stops and getting into organised large groups to ruin events. If the police/judiciary don't get over their PC bullshit and start clamping down on the issues then it's going to become a massive issue.

GoB

Expert Member
Yeah it's an entire city built on tax money right? Maybe trying to get some of that easy free money is worthwhile. :p

Nah anyway the climate is just way too cold for us.

Sydney property prices though... they started growing, 8% the past year and I can't seem to find anything decent which I could afford.
In Brisbane it seems like I could get anything I want right next to where my job would be... so it's appealing if the income difference is small.

Edit - Anyone recommend any Sydney areas to look for around $1.1m ? It has to have 3+ bedrooms.. 4 or 3+something which can be converted.

Last edited: