Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

RandomGeek

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
963
I'm pausing for 6 months to see how Corona works out. The world is a pretty scary place right now to be upping and moving across it. Well, for me and mine anyways...
This is a Black Swan event that's for sure. Nobody's crystal ball was predicting mr Corona. I would not be surprised if new hires decreases too with businesses taking a wait and see approach. Southern hemisphere winter is coming and I predict a very, very nasty period until spring
 

GoB

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
1,490
Just as Im about to put the house on the market, Cyril announces that SA is officially farked (thank you Coronavirus). Should I 1) carry on and risk receiving fewer, probably lowish offers or 2) wait it out a few months and try again?
Just price it right, from my previous experience... last year there was low turnover/high stock during winter until about September. I could see individual houses being sold in order of best value.

I'm actually considering going without an agent again.

Because - municipal 2018 valuation is 2.85m, but houses in better surroundings are available for 3m. I don't think that people realise that the houses are worth far more.

So I'm expecting 2.7m (until I've checked some open houses). After agent commission, that's 2.55m.
But if I market it myself under 2.7m I might get offers immediately.
 

MrJacques

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2015
Messages
574
Wondering if / how COVID-19 will affect the Visa invites ... every month Iscah's prediction moves out a bit further for me.... at this rate I'll have to renew my ACS result at the end of the year.
 

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2017
Messages
1,704
I had a first interview with a Sydney company, and they seemed keen to have another interview after they meet with their labour lawyer to find out what they need to do on their side.
But, since then it seems COVID made them nervous, and thats about as much as the recruitment agent can tell me at the moment.
 

RandomGeek

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
963
Just price it right, from my previous experience... last year there was low turnover/high stock during winter until about September. I could see individual houses being sold in order of best value.

I'm actually considering going without an agent again.

Because - municipal 2018 valuation is 2.85m, but houses in better surroundings are available for 3m. I don't think that people realise that the houses are worth far more.

So I'm expecting 2.7m (until I've checked some open houses). After agent commission, that's 2.55m.
But if I market it myself under 2.7m I might get offers immediately.
...but even if I manage to sell the house OK, I want to know that the job market is looking good in Aus. And Corona has everyone scared and therefore I'm not superly optimistic at present.

So if I sell the house but then decide to rather wait a bit before going over, I will be staying with the mother-in-law :)
 
Last edited:

RandomGeek

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
963
Wondering if / how COVID-19 will affect the Visa invites ... every month Iscah's prediction moves out a bit further for me.... at this rate I'll have to renew my ACS result at the end of the year.
It will also impact the visa processing. Not sure if any state department worldwide is properly geared to work from home given the Corona scare
 

ryanrich

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
447
There’s currently a 14 day mandatory self isolation period for anybody entering Australia or NZ and they have warned all citizens abroad to get back to the country ASAP so I assume heavy restrictions or a total ban on foreigners entering is in the pipeline very soon. Things are escalating pretty quickly here.
 

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2017
Messages
1,704
...but even if I manage to sell the house OK, I want to know that the job market is looking good in Aus. And Corona has everyone scared and therefore I'm not superly optimistic at present.

So if I sell the house but then decide to rather wait a bit before going over, I will be staying with the mother-in-law :)
For devs, I think the impact will be relatively small, unless their customers suffer losses and shelve projects.
 

RandomGeek

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
963
There’s currently a 14 day mandatory self isolation period for anybody entering Australia or NZ and they have warned all citizens abroad to get back to the country ASAP so I assume heavy restrictions or a total ban on foreigners entering is in the pipeline very soon. Things are escalating pretty quickly here.
So...if they ban everyone apart from Citizens and PRs from entering...where do I stand, i have PR but it isn't yet activated? In *theory* i should be ok right?
 

RandomGeek

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
963
For devs, I think the impact will be relatively small, unless their customers suffer losses and shelve projects.
So long as the global economy doesn't get spanked I tend to agree. But we dont know yet how bad Corona will get, some positive signs from China at least
 

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Joined
Aug 8, 2017
Messages
1,704
This is not good for those deep in the process:

View attachment 802837
Yea, imagine being in an industry where face to face interviews are still really important, booking your interview trip for 3 weeks, then having to spend 2 of those in self isolation, and the remaining week with companies that are unsure.
Bye Bye ~R50k, try again in a few months....
 

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
1,912
So...if they ban everyone apart from Citizens and PRs from entering...where do I stand, i have PR but it isn't yet activated? In *theory* i should be ok right?
Lots of explaining to the airline to get on board the plane and lots to explain to the immigration officer as you technically don't have pr on the system. If your immi account doesn't say your visa is in effect then its not valid from the systems point of view. Best phone the embassy/consulate to confirm.
 

GoB

Expert Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
1,490
...but even if I manage to sell the house OK, I want to know that the job market is looking good in Aus. And Corona has everyone scared and therefore I'm not superly optimistic at present.

So if I sell the house but then decide to rather wait a bit before going over, I will be staying with the mother-in-law :)
Ok, I have only started setting up a timeline of everything which I have to do.
If I leave in November, I gave 4 months to market + transfer the house, which means put it in the market 1st July... only 3.5 months left.

The reason for ignoring Corona is that I'm assuming that people would start to accept the risk of infection at some point. If a possible vaccine comes next year, I don't think economies would be put on hold for a year.. I may be wrong.
 

RandomGeek

Senior Member
Joined
May 14, 2015
Messages
963
Ok, I have only started setting up a timeline of everything which I have to do.
If I leave in November, I gave 4 months to market + transfer the house, which means put it in the market 1st July... only 3.5 months left.

The reason for ignoring Corona is that I'm assuming that people would start to accept the risk of infection at some point. If a possible vaccine comes next year, I don't think economies would be put on hold for a year.. I may be wrong.
I'm also thinking at some point people will stop panicking and accept that you are likely to get it at some point.

Morrison mentions 6 months - which takes us up to September - southern hemisphere spring - I also tend to think the worst should be over by then.

""This is a once-in-100 year type event, we haven't seen this sort of thing in Australia since the end of the first World War, but together we are of course up to this challenge," he said.
Morrison warned the disruptions could continue for "at least six months ... it could be much longer.""

 
  • Like
Reactions: GoB

AdrianH

Expert Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2005
Messages
2,142
Ok, I have only started setting up a timeline of everything which I have to do.
If I leave in November, I gave 4 months to market + transfer the house, which means put it in the market 1st July... only 3.5 months left.

The reason for ignoring Corona is that I'm assuming that people would start to accept the risk of infection at some point. If a possible vaccine comes next year, I don't think economies would be put on hold for a year.. I may be wrong.
Do yourself a favour, put your house up for sale now as markets are bad and it may take a while to get your asking price (if you ever do). You can always rent the last few months and give 21 days notice when it's time to leave.
 
  • Like
Reactions: GoB

ryanrich

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
447
Lots of explaining to the airline to get on board the plane and lots to explain to the immigration officer as you technically don't have pr on the system. If your immi account doesn't say your visa is in effect then its not valid from the systems point of view. Best phone the embassy/consulate to confirm.
@RandomGeek, I think the visa will already say "In effect", check online, https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...etails-and-conditions/check-conditions-online

I didn't ever "activate" our visas before the initial entry date expiration as my wife fell pregnant so we didn't want to travel. I did get an exemption letter, but as far as I remember my visa already said in effect before that.

It would be best to mail AUS immigration and explain the situation around Corona, etc. Chances are they won't want you coming now anyway and will send you an exemption letter.
 

ryanrich

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
447
Just been announced by the PM now.

From 9pm tomorrow only citizens and permanent residents can enter AUS. Things are getting hardcore now.

From what I can see the policies for NZ are the same.
 
Top