Emigration: Australia & New Zealand

web

Executive Member
NZ borders close around midnight tonight for any one not a citizen or permanent residents.

Yarik11

@RandomGeek, I think the visa will already say "In effect", check online, https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...etails-and-conditions/check-conditions-online

I didn't ever "activate" our visas before the initial entry date expiration as my wife fell pregnant so we didn't want to travel. I did get an exemption letter, but as far as I remember my visa already said in effect before that.

It would be best to mail AUS immigration and explain the situation around Corona, etc. Chances are they won't want you coming now anyway and will send you an exemption letter.
Thanks Ryan, could you please share the email address or link to obtain this exemption letter?

Our final entry date is 29 October 2020. Hopefully should all be over by then. But still, want to investigate worst case scenario.

We accepted an offer to purchase for our house a few weeks ago and were hoping to make it to Adelaide by end of May/June. Obviously this is up in the air now.

Also emailed our migration attorneys to see if they have some advice.

MrJacques

Just been announced by the PM now.

From 9pm tomorrow only citizens and permanent residents can enter AUS. Things are getting hardcore now.

From what I can see the policies for NZ are the same.
I assume this means my friend who works with me in the same office and was granted a 491 Visa won't be able to go over at this time as it's not permanent residency.

* edit. it's temporary residency or something like that. I guess he will have to mail them and find out.

RandomGeek

@RandomGeek, I think the visa will already say "In effect", check online, https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/vis...etails-and-conditions/check-conditions-online

I didn't ever "activate" our visas before the initial entry date expiration as my wife fell pregnant so we didn't want to travel. I did get an exemption letter, but as far as I remember my visa already said in effect before that.

It would be best to mail AUS immigration and explain the situation around Corona, etc. Chances are they won't want you coming now anyway and will send you an exemption letter.
Thanks Ryan, I have checked and it does say "In Effect". The good thing is my initial entry date is only February 2021 so I do have some buffer period, hoping the situation improves well before then.

But, for example, Qantas is halting all international flights from end March to end May, so how are we going to get there anyway? Other airlines are sure to follow at some point

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
I assume this means my friend who works with me in the same office and was granted a 491 Visa won't be able to go over at this time as it's not permanent residency.

* edit. it's temporary residency or something like that. I guess he will have to mail them and find out.
Probably not, considering pr is something substantially different from other visas. Report back on your friends finding as there are probably a few other people here that are in the same boat.

RandomGeek

Probably the pickers and packers it's season for them.
Yes, expect a severe labour shortage...your typical backpacker/student/overseas working holiday type guy won't be doing that role in 2020...locals will have to do that

RandomGeek

It's a complete sh1tshow/clusterf@ck/f&kop <insert your favourite swearword here>

RandomGeek

Interestingly, the AUS dollar as well as the ZAR has depreciated against the US Dollar, leading to the AUS$ vs ZAR rate remaining relatively unchanged.

1584603002763.png

pjeb05

Crazy situation..

We have PR with 189, recently approved in February and my wife has got a job in Sydney, which she starts on 27 May. But now we are not sure if we can even get there?!

I am also assuming our visas are in effect, as we haven't done a first trip there

RandomGeek

Crazy situation..

We have PR with 189, recently approved in February and my wife has got a job in Sydney, which she starts on 27 May. But now we are not sure if we can even get there?!

I am also assuming our visas are in effect, as we haven't done a first trip there
Very crazy! Biggest questions would be
  1. How to get there - which airline?
  2. 27 May -14 = get there by 13 May to allow for 14 days quarantine

ryanrich

Crazy situation..

If you have PR then yes, you can, no question really.

The visas are in effect as soon as you receive the grant letters, the “activation” thing is misleading.

ryanrich

Thanks Ryan, could you please share the email address or link to obtain this exemption letter?

Our final entry date is 29 October 2020. Hopefully should all be over by then. But still, want to investigate worst case scenario.

We accepted an offer to purchase for our house a few weeks ago and were hoping to make it to Adelaide by end of May/June. Obviously this is up in the air now.

Also emailed our migration attorneys to see if they have some advice.
I mailed skilled.support@border.gov.au and explained the situation to them. Be sure to attach all visa grants and case numbers as well.

pjeb05

Joburg to Perth route now also gone with SAA halting international flights.
Yep! Emirates, Etihad, Singapore and Qatar left, but who knows for how long - or if the airports will even stay open. We have this week to decide, hand in our resignation letters at SA companies and then hopefully fly around 1 May.

RandomGeek

Yep! Emirates, Etihad, Singapore and Qatar left, but who knows for how long - or if the airports will even stay open. We have this week to decide, hand in our resignation letters at SA companies and then hopefully fly around 1 May.
Best of luck!

Spizz

Goat Botherer
I’m flying home on Singapore tomorrow. Seems like they have at least cut the number of flights as I couldn’t get out of Myanmar today or yesterday (Saturday/Sunday).

ryanrich

South Australia borders are also shut from 4pm on Tuesday. Anybody entering the state will be required to sign a declaration to self isolate for 14 days.

There’s another cabinet meeting tonight at 18:30 and I expect even stricter controls incoming, possibly school closures and maybe even lockdowns in certain states.

My company is all working from home from Wednesday this coming week and we’re only going on-site to certain clients and at certain times.

Really feels like we’re living in a movie at this point...