eNCA journalists robbed at gunpoint in Khayelitsha

TheChamp

Honorary Master
I have to admit that the B'bond has a point here, whenever the city goes in there to fix things they are robbed and hurt. There was a story on FB the other day of contractors coming to fix the crap running through the streets and some kids robbed them, killing one. You can't expect the city to send in people to fix the service delivery issues if the community can't keep the contractors safe, or if the community can't at least identify the culprits when things goes to ****.
Crime is a problem everywhere, not just in the City of Cape Town, and usually such excuses no matter how valid never hold much weight when people post stories about the state of disrepair in ANC governed areas. I expect the DA to find a way to sort that mess out if they want to claim the moral high ground, barriers will always be there but the DA should never be excused from being held accountable.

Cr4ig

Honorary Master
Crime is a problem everywhere, not just in the City of Cape Town, and usually such excuses no matter how valid never hold much weight when people post stories about the state of disrepair in ANC governed areas. I expect the DA to find a way to sort that mess out if they want to claim the moral high ground.

Well, it would be just as valid if it were to happen under the ANC. Only a hand full of full blown racists would say otherwise. And while crime is a problem everywhere most communities don't kill the people coming in to improve their lives.

Big Rat

The fact that they were robbed does should not in any way distract from the reason they were there in the first place,

How am I being a troll? Sure I am touching your on your DA CoCT service delivery studio, but trolling?

Kahle BBSA...
Fair point...
Why does this area look so bad compared to rest of Western Cape.
because when the municipality comes ot brackenfell, or Kraaifontein, bellville Goodwood, they are allowed to work, people leave the area to dry out (cement, paint tar) and then back to normal.

On to Khayelitsha..
Fancy squatter camp, not a city in Western Cape for one.
Two, The municipal workers are attacked, robbed and even killed in a few situations.
Property is destroyed. The water project recently where they protest for water, then burn down the digger that are making the space for the pipes.
So, unfortunately for the poor residents, You have a situation where no person wants to come work, no company is willing to send in their equipment.

Then you hit the Cape Flats. Never mind the bribes to the city officials, you need to pay protection money to the gang that runs the neighbourhood. Do not pay one day, next morning your staff is held at gunpoint, robbed, beaten up a bit and you are reminded that you did not pay protection.

Make no mistake, the western Cape is going backwards, especially in the disadvantaged areas. Not because they do not want to help the people, but they are not allowed to by the criminal elements. And we know who runs the cops, so asking for help there is useless.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Fair point...
Why does this area look so bad compared to rest of Western Cape.
because when the municipality comes ot brackenfell, or Kraaifontein, bellville Goodwood, they are allowed to work, people leave the area to dry out (cement, paint tar) and then back to normal.

On to Khayelitsha..
Fancy squatter camp, not a city in Western Cape for one.
Two, The municipal workers are attacked, robbed and even killed in a few situations.
Property is destroyed. The water project recently where they protest for water, then burn down the digger that are making the space for the pipes.
So, unfortunately for the poor residents, You have a situation where no person wants to come work, no company is willing to send in their equipment.

Then you hit the Cape Flats. Never mind the bribes to the city officials, you need to pay protection money to the gang that runs the neighbourhood. Do not pay one day, next morning your staff is held at gunpoint, robbed, beaten up a bit and you are reminded that you did not pay protection.

Make no mistake, the western Cape is going backwards, especially in the disadvantaged areas. Not because they do not want to help the people, but they are not allowed to by the criminal elements. And we know who runs the cops, so asking for help there is useless.
Saying they are going backwards in disadvantaged areas seems to imply there was a time there was some actual service delivery.

Would you say generally speaking the disadvantaged areas in the Western Cape, particularly those in the City of Cape Town are in a much better position in terms of service delivery compared to disadvantaged areas in ANC governed areas? because to me it looks like it has always been a mess, from Zille and De lille's time of open toilets to now.

Is there anything a poor person in a DA governed poor area can boast about to a person living in ANC governed poor area?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
The fact that they were robbed does should not in any way distract from the reason they were there in the first place,

How am I being a troll? Sure I am touching your on your DA CoCT service delivery studio, but trolling?

Kahle BBSA...
And your SAPS for lack of policing and your anc for letting crime get out of control which is the cause.

FFS always trying to defend and deflect blame.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
And your SAPS for lack of policing and your anc for letting crime get out of control which is the cause.

FFS always trying to defend and deflect blame.
Always trying to excuse and defend the failures of the DA to deliver services is not the answer, they should be held accountable just like we do with the ANC, they must go and fix that mess, take their whole army of metro cops if necessary, they are not as helpless as you make them out to be, Eskom and other utilities are able to find a way to fix and maintain infrastructure in the most remote places of the country.

The City with all their resources should be able to find a way, crime is not going to come to an end any time soon.

dj2381

Expert Member
Always trying to excuse and defend the failures of the DA to deliver services is not the answer, they should be held accountable just like we do with the ANC, they must go and fix that mess, take their whole army of metro cops if necessary, they are not as helpless as you make them out to be, Eskom and other utilities are able to find a way to fix and maintain infrastructure in the most remote places of the country.

The City with all their resources should be able to find a way, crime is not going to come to an end any time soon.
Who's holding them accountable? Surely can't be you, you spend most of your days here defending them.

TheChamp

Honorary Master
Who's holding them accountable? Surely can't be you, you spend most of your days here defending them.
Then it makes even more sense for those like you who are more experienced in holding government accountable to do exactly that with the DA, not so?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master

Just like the railway stations.............

Big Rat

Saying they are going backwards in disadvantaged areas seems to imply there was a time there was some actual service delivery.

Would you say generally speaking the disadvantaged areas in the Western Cape, particularly those in the City of Cape Town are in a much better position in terms of service delivery compared to disadvantaged areas in ANC governed areas? because to me it looks like it has always been a mess, from Zille and De lille's time of open toilets to now.

Is there anything a poor person in a DA governed poor area can boast about to a person living in ANC governed poor area?
I have seen large areas which was 'decent' and i use that term loosely here. It was never as good as a suburb, but the crap did not flow down the road, there was street lights and running water. So yes ,for some parts it was better than the average ANC controlled poor area.
then of course there was large areas where the squatter camp just flourished, and no sane person would venture in there to do any work. Be it power or water.
I look at the squatter camps bloekombos and Wallacedene, Kraaifontein. I grew up there. I could play in those bushes as a kid, just trees and shrubbery. Then the squatters arrived, put up their shacks. Quickly grew in size. Water and electricity was laid, even tar roads for the winter so everything was not flooded when the rains came.
the last couple of years though, no maintenance could be done, SAPS do not go in there, Ambulances or security does not go there. No service maintenance people can, they are robbed and killed. Went backwards again.
And this is from personal experience, i used to drop of the maid for my mom, until she told me not to. It is bad for her and for me as well.

Today, For the rural and squatter area, it does not matter who is in charge, ANC, DA and EFF all failed these people. They live in squalor. It sucks and i wish there is something to be done for them, The majority deserves better.
Then the bastards that attack and rob, burn and destroy, a small group compared to the masses that live there, throws all compassion you might have for the people away. They are all painted with the same brush again.

SO i do not see any upgrades to their lives in the foreseeable future.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

The metro police don't quite have the same mandate as the SAPS. They do have a station in Khayelitsha, but their scope is limited by mandate. The city cannot mobilise them, but the SAPS can in cooperation.

Neither is Eskom having it easy,

Eskom guards killed as utility takes action on illegal connections​

Two guards have been shot dead while protecting Eskom engineers who were working on restoring power to Philippi East.​

Oh wait, that was to combat illegal connections, but it doesn't change that Eskom technicians are being threatened and attacked in places.

It is not only Eskom and CoCT. Fire services, medical services, all these emergency services, are a target.

There are parties who are making it incredibly hard to provide services to people.

dj2381

Expert Member
Then it makes even more sense for those like you who are more experienced in holding government accountable to do exactly that with the DA, not so?
I vote against incompetence, does that make me more experienced?

Sollie

Honorary Master
Yeah, inconvenient, I know.
Extremely.

The facts are all there. A reporter get her work equipment expropriated. Now image what happens to shovels, bulldozers etc.

Then when you want to report it to that little Sate institution called SAPS that's supposed to make sure the above does not happen, they try chase people away.

I heard somebody say we're a civilized country. Facts don't bear it out, extremely inconvenient.

surface

Honorary Master
Guys, please remember to vote for FF+ to improve these conditions. Thanks to hundreds of DA mybb members that have migrated because of principles. We are gonna govern soon. Marais FTW. Amandla.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Pfft... amateurs...

All you need is a name change.

Then service delivery will magically improve. Duh!

Nobody remembers the names of those who gave their lives in trying to give others better lives, but everyone will protest in the name of service delivery...

Big Rat

SO, after all my waffing...
You wanted a comparison between DA and ANC controlled.
We can agree that for rural and squattercamps it is a mess. These people are left to fend for themselves. Neither DA nor ANC feel for them.

But i look at my town of Brackenfell, and i compare it to Kimberley. Was there a while ago. One DA controlled, one ANC controlled.
Brackenfell is clean, potholes are fixes, shrubbery alongside the road is weeded and cut, in general the place is tidy, clean. Water and electicity flows as it should, except when Eskom plays it's part.

Kimberly, oh my sack, what a dump. There are pieces or tar around the potholes, cannot call it a road. Water cuts, electrical substations and power grid issues. Sidewalks are a mess, garbage all over the place.

My usual haunts in the western Cape seems all clean and maintained. Whereas the one place i went that is ANC controlled, left my jaw on the ground.