End of Windows 7 support will boost Windows 10 and PC sales – Microsoft

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Marc123

Microsoft are forcing their OS onto people that dont want it.
It restricts and controls its users.

I have been told by Win10 fans that they have complete control over updates etc. But asked for details they revert back to "why dont you want an update? "

Linux here I come...

wizardofid

Executive Member
“So, no matter what you spend, you’re going to have a great, reliable Windows 10 experience.”
reliable ? Sure. Great ? No.

At least, have a year left to decide whether I am going team apple or team linux.

Swa

Honorary Master
Not me. Still on Win7 Sp1 no issues.

I have been told by Win10 fans that they have complete control over updates etc. But asked for details they revert back to "why dont you want an update? "

Linux here I come...
Best one is being told it works correctly if you do the updates instead of waiting. :ROFL:

sajunky

Honorary Master
Whatever. Just do not buy a PC with a new 9-th gen Intel CPU. They are not Spectra/Meltdown free.

Swa

Honorary Master
Whatever. Just do not buy a PC with a new 9-th gen Intel CPU. They are not Spectra/Meltdown free.
Most systems aren't. Unless you're running a server with shared hosting it's a non concern.

COMPUTEK

Executive Member
I actually hate working on Win7 after running Win10 on my own system for the past ±3 years ;)

zippy

Executive Member

Linux here I come...
Microsoft aren’t forcing you to upgrade from 7 to 10. Just ending support for 7. Even Linux vendors don’t have open ended support for versions.

And it’s easy disable Windows 10 updates if you don’t want them. Nothing wrong with being asked why don’t want an update. If that’s a question that intimidates you, then you probably got bigger problems than Windows updates. :)

But... I am not aware that windows 10 asked why you don’t an update when you disable it :)

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Instead of looking at "big bad Microsoft" spare a thought for the many developers, average people like you and me, who makes a living developing software. We all want to try new technology and it is unfortunate that now developers are expected to work on a legacy platform that is a decade old. It is also completely unnecessary since millions of man hours have been put into developing newer platforms.

Instead of looking at "bad spyware" rather look at how so many things in our modern day lives have telemetry and uses it to make our lives better, from traffic monitoring on motorways to usage statistics on your mobile phone. Having that built into your OS is a logical step.

Realise that the paid for extended support will only be for large instances of similar setups. Catering for end users with a wide variety op hardware and software setups requires a lot of regression testing when changes are made to software.

In this day and age with so many connected device it is not longer possible to defer updates, it is simply too dangerous.

Hopefully all those moaning about this will hope to Linux and let the rest of us use Windows in peace.

Swa

Honorary Master
Instead of looking at "big bad Microsoft" spare a thought for the many developers, average people like you and me, who makes a living developing software. We all want to try new technology and it is unfortunate that now developers are expected to work on a legacy platform that is a decade old. It is also completely unnecessary since millions of man hours have been put into developing newer platforms.

Instead of looking at "bad spyware" rather look at how so many things in our modern day lives have telemetry and uses it to make our lives better, from traffic monitoring on motorways to usage statistics on your mobile phone. Having that built into your OS is a logical step.

Realise that the paid for extended support will only be for large instances of similar setups. Catering for end users with a wide variety op hardware and software setups requires a lot of regression testing when changes are made to software.

In this day and age with so many connected device it is not longer possible to defer updates, it is simply too dangerous.

Hopefully all those moaning about this will hope to Linux and let the rest of us use Windows in peace.
And why is it not their fault? From all accounts it seems as though forced updates as well as how they are implemented are the real issues killing what's otherwise a good OS. We functioned just fine before this. I have telemetry switched off wherever I can so why would I want it build into the OS? It's this crap that's killing the platform. Don't blame users for just taking back control and privacy as if Microsoft has their way there wouldn't be a Windows developer in 10 years time.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
The OS will be killed without the updates, think for example of un-patched security vulnerabilities. Saying things like "We functioned just fine before this" is like staying in a neighborhood where there is an increase in break-ins and you refuse to install burglar bars because "We functioned just fine before this". Sure, it is your choice to switch off telemetry but it is there to help them understand what areas of their software is used most and how it is used.

How do you feel about traffic congestion monitoring cameras, for example? Or those in airports the track how long it takes someone to get on their flight?

All off these things did not exist 50 years ago, but today they are part of our lives. That is because things progressed a lot, got more complicated and we have loads more people using it. Same goes with Windows 10. There are now more computers than ever before and pretty much all of them are connected. There is no other way, especially when you are the de-facto OS of end users.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
MS-Linux? Lindows? Could Microsoft release a desktop Linux?
Yes, yes they could. And I would no longer bet they won't. Here's why.

I used to say that Microsoft would release a Microsoft desktop Linux -- MS-Linux or Lindows -- when pigs fly. Lately, though, I've been hearing oinking from the sky. Here's why.

First, Microsoft has been embracing Linux and open-source for years now. I mean, on Azure, the top operating system is now -- drumroll please -- Linux. Microsoft now lets Linux companies use its patents for free. And the Redmond giant has already released its own Linux distro in Linux-based Azure Sphere.

Now, you might say, "You've been drinking too much cider, sjvn! Those are all enterprise and cloud moves." True, but remember Microsoft now enables you to run many Linux distros within Windows using Hyper-V and Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL). In 2017, we were already seeing what I called the year of Linux on the Windows desktop.
Read More....
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ms-linux-lindows-could-microsoft-release-a-desktop-linux/