Endangered animals to be classified as meat for consumption and trade

tetrasect

Expert Member
Just saw this shocking proposed amendment to the Meat Safety Act which extends the list classifying animals for slaughter, consumption, import, export and sale to include threatened species in South Africa including rhino, elephant, giraffe and more.

The act even goes as far as saying "This Act also applies to all other species of animals not mentioned above including birds, fish and reptiles that may be slaughtered as food for human and animal consumption."

So basically any living creature except humans will be classified as food and be allowed to be slaughtered and sold on the market.

Here is the proposal: https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/202002/43050gon201.pdf

You can write your comments to the government here (they are legally required to consider them): https://dearsouthafrica.co.za/draft-meat-safety-act/

LOM

Honorary Master
Someone is misreading

1588071729331.png

Final sentence says it's not a free for all.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Just saw this shocking proposed amendment to the Meat Safety Act which extends the list classifying animals for slaughter, consumption, import, export and sale to include threatened species in South Africa including rhino, elephant, giraffe and more.

The act even goes as far as saying "This Act also applies to all other species of animals not mentioned above including birds, fish and reptiles that may be slaughtered as food for human and animal consumption."

So basically any living creature except humans will be classified as food and be allowed to be slaughtered and sold on the market.

Here is the proposal: https://www.gov.za/sites/default/files/gcis_document/202002/43050gon201.pdf

You can write your comments to the government here (they are legally required to consider them): https://dearsouthafrica.co.za/draft-meat-safety-act/
I think they mean if government decides to cull rhino for conservation purpose, the mean won't go to waste. It will be used for human consumption.

Book your table. This lockdown is sure going to drive the numbers up. Even pandas are shagging.

killerbyte

Expert Member
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I went and gave my input, which was teh exact same as any rational person with a shred of knowledge in this area would give. YES PLEASE! If they cannot farm rhino for its ivory then farm it for its meat. I want to see farms with lots of rhino that the farmers can then sell to hunters for meat consumption.
The best thing about giraffe is that most hunters don't want to eat it, so where does all the meat go when a giraffe is hunted? Well the local community nearest to the farmer usually gets to feast on the meat, which I am told is very tasty.

tetrasect

Expert Member
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I went and gave my input, which was teh exact same as any rational person with a shred of knowledge in this area would give. YES PLEASE! If they cannot farm rhino for its ivory then farm it for its meat. I want to see farms with lots of rhino that the farmers can then sell to hunters for meat consumption.
The best thing about giraffe is that most hunters don't want to eat it, so where does all the meat go when a giraffe is hunted? Well the local community nearest to the farmer usually gets to feast on the meat, which I am told is very tasty.

What a wonderful vision of the future you have, where everyone can hunt and eat rhino and then sell the horns to the chinese. Beautiful.

Jabulani22

Executive Member
Isn't eating mystery meat the reason the whole world is locked down ?
Yes I know some is safe but how long until people are tucking into bats n stuff here ?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Surely a change in the law was not a requirement for the sale of meat that becomes available as a result of hunting or culling?

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member

So you can now start to eat a white man / tax payer :unsure:

D tj

Expert Member
@ tetrasect who posted:
"What a wonderful vision of the future you have, where everyone can hunt and eat rhino and then sell the horns to the chinese. Beautiful."

A tad overdramatic, what? ...Everyone hunting and eating Rhino....take a few deep breaths 1) before reading, and, 2) re-read for the sake of comprehension, then again Before typing!:)

Ps. A hint: Game farms use meat to feed their lions, not sprouts and nuts.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
@ tetrasect who posted:
"What a wonderful vision of the future you have, where everyone can hunt and eat rhino and then sell the horns to the chinese. Beautiful."

A tad overdramatic, what? ...Everyone hunting and eating Rhino....take a few deep breaths 1) before reading, and, 2) re-read for the sake of comprehension, then again Before typing!:)

Ps. A hint: Game farms use meat to feed their lions, not sprouts and nuts.

NO!

They must stop.. eating meat is harmful to the environment. They must make their lions vegan!

konfab

Honorary Master
One of the better parts of the SA constitution is that it explicitly states that the government has to engage in meaningful public participation, which means that they have to take it seriously. Parliament has been hauled to court a number of times because they didn't do it properly.

For example, with EWC, Ramaphoesa pretty much sabotaged the whole public participation process by jumping the gun and announcing the government's intentions before the public participation process was finished.

President Cyril Ramaphosa’s announcement that the ANC had decided to change the Constitution to expropriate land without compensation could lead to constitutional challenges as it appears to pre-empt the ongoing public participation processes on the matter, a legal expert said on Thursday. Ramaphosa made the announcement on national television on Tuesday. Parliament’s constitutional review committee is still holding public hearings across the country on the matter, and is due to report back in September. According to Peter Leon, a partner at international law firm Herbert Smith Freehills, Ramaphosa’s announcement may conflict with the Constitution’s requirement for meaningful public participation. "It appears to conflict with the constitutional requirement that a bill amending the Constitution can be adopted only if there is a meaningful process of public participation. By presenting the ANC’s decision as a fait accompli, the governing party is impermissibly pre-empting this process...
https://www.businesslive.co.za/bd/n...ermined-public-participation-says-peter-leon/

ponder

Honorary Master
I think they mean if government decides to cull rhino for conservation purpose, the mean won't go to waste. It will be used for human consumption.

Gonna be walking around with a hardon for months...

D tj

Expert Member
Look on the humane bright side: 1x Hippo could spare the lives of a few hundred pigs.

tetrasect

Expert Member
Why was this thread moved from "News and Current Affairs" to
"Food, Cooking and Recipes"?