Energizer to launch smartphone with 18,000mAh battery

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Most phones are 3.6volts and power banks are 5volts.
So one cannot compare an 18000mAh powerbank to that of a phone battery capacity.
I stand corrected.

EDIT: I stand *to be* corrected, thank you Bwana

Last edited:

genetic

Honorary Master
Most phones are 3.6volts and power banks are 5volts.
So one cannot compare an 18000mAh powerbank to that of a phone battery capacity.
I stand corrected.
Yes you can. Battery capacity is measured by current capacity - not voltage.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Yes you can. Battery capacity is measured by current capacity - not voltage.
yup coz if you had a 12volt battery at 18000mAh that is 18 amps and it sure as hell is gonna be bigger than a phone.
My car battery is only 35 amps

genetic

Honorary Master
yup coz if you had a 12volt battery at 18000mAh that is 18 amps and it sure as hell is gonna be bigger than a phone.
My car battery is only 35 amps
Batteries in a power bank are usually 18650 cells. 18650 cells are rated at 3.6-3.7 volts. It's the voltage regulator in a circuit that outputs 5 volts. You can step up to any voltage you want.

18000mAh will definitely be a bigger phone.

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
Batteries in a power bank are usually 18650 cells. 18650 cells are rated at 3.6-3.7 volts. It's the voltage regulator in a circuit that outputs 5 volts. You can step up to any voltage you want.

18000mAh will definitely be a bigger phone.
aaaaaah yes, those 18650 batteries are indeed 3.5 volts. You're right. :) So in fact it is just a marketing ploy they using coz in fact you need to go from 3.6v to 5v which is what the battery should be rated at.
I mean imagine if i had a 2volt car battery but nowhere on it does it say 2volts. But they rate it at 100 amps. When in fact you need to have an internal converter to multiply by 6 to get 12v which means divide by 6 to get operating amps = 16,6 amps.
LOL Too early in the morning for maths, does this make sense? :ROFL:
/goes for more coffee

genetic

Honorary Master
I mean imagine if i had a 2volt car battery but nowhere on it does it say 2volts. But they rate it at 100 amps. When in fact you need to have an internal converter to multiply by 6 to get 12v which means divide by 6 to get operating amps = 16,6 amps.
You're forgetting about resistance. Its internal resistance that determines current output at a given voltage.

Wasabee!

Expert Member
Yes I realised phone(s) though still not interested.

I'm a smartphone snob so really want decent specs and software. Currently on a OnePlus 6 and there would have to be some good competition for me to recommend or consider any other phone.

I'm not interested even in low end phones even for my mom if they don't come with good software support. If they had Android One or Treble support it would be great, but I'm tired of phones with little to no software support.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Yes I realised phone(s) though still not interested.

I'm a smartphone snob so really want decent specs and software. Currently on a OnePlus 6 and there would have to be some good competition for me to recommend or consider any other phone.

I'm not interested even in low end phones even for my mom if they don't come with good software support. If they had Android One or Treble support it would be great, but I'm tired of phones with little to no software support.
All Android Pie devices must come with Treble.

xeslaro

Expert Member
aaaaaah yes, those 18650 batteries are indeed 3.5 volts. You're right. :) So in fact it is just a marketing ploy they using coz in fact you need to go from 3.6v to 5v which is what the battery should be rated at.
LOL Too early in the morning for maths, does this make sense? :ROFL:
/goes for more coffee
A cellphone battery typically chargers from a 5v source. The cellphone itself don't require minimum 5v to operate. There's no need to transform that 3.7v nominal voltage higher.. The stated 18000mAh capacity is not misleading.

On a side note...A 2v battery rated at 100 Ah will be look like a JoJo container... Lol

mister

Executive Member
Energizer phone? when it's flat do you throw it away and buy another one?

genetic

Honorary Master
You do know that they also produce rechargeable batteries, right?
I have a bunch of Energizer AA rechargeable batteries (some which I bought a decade back) which are still working. Use them all the time.

thehuman

Expert Member
What will a 18000 mah phone weigh, my 20ah power bank already too heavy.

xeslaro

Expert Member
What will a 18000 mah phone weigh, my 20ah power bank already too heavy.
Exactly. I have same capacity power bank and it comes in at hefty almost-half-a-kilo. You would need to strangle your stomach with a belt to keep your pants on.