Energy efficiency could solve SA’s power crisis

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
lol, Privatising and getting rid of illegal connections would be a good start.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Sorry Pascal, but Energy Efficiency will only get you modest returns, and not enough to solve our power crisis.

Darkmoor

Well We could all do some of the simple things.
Switching off lights and air-cons that are not needed.
Especially the ones in the office.

We could go the tech route and add motion/occupancy sensors to rooms as well.

Paul_S

Expert Member
Energy efficiency only goes so far.
If you have a growing population and industry then eventually you'll run out of power no matter how efficient one is regarding electricity.
We'll also run out of power and the ability to fund new power stations if we have more and more people consuming electricity without paying for it.

We need to address this on all fronts but as usual the blame is just being shifted around so we're going to be in this mess for a while.

rudyb

But how will we pay those well deserved bonuses if we conserve?

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
Making your home more energy efficient will only be a drop in the ocean. Granted, every drop counts. At the end of the day it is the man in the street that gets load shed, not the manufacturing plants, big businesses and mines. They get preferential treatment. Take Barloworld and Unilever in Boksburg. Have they been load shedded? I think not. There is reasons for it though. You can not stop a batch process in the middle and hope to get margarine out the other end.

Where I see a lot of energy, and I mean megawatts being wasted, is on mines. There is a glitch somewhere that takes the techies a couple of hours to fix. Do they stop all the conveyor belts, mills, pumps, screens and other equipment that draws a lot of current during this time? No, the plant equipment keeps on running. When you have a mill with a 2.5mW VSD powering it, just running, you think about the poor sod that is living in darkness in suburbia.

Because these heavy industries gets preferential treatment, they don't really care about the man in the street. Every drop from their side also counts.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The solution to South Africa’s power crisis lies in the ability of the country to become more energy efficient
What BS is this!? If there is no power how can you save any?

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
There we have it.

Cut all those illegal connections and all our problems are solved.
Not all of them, not even close.

They need to convert all those illegal connections to legal ones and fix all the stations properly but Cut them, use the extra power to fix the stations then give them legal power.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Simplest solution of all. Don't build 1000's of RBP houses until the power grid can handle it. Since 2008 till now, how many new homes was added to the grid? And there was no additional power stations that came online.
All those houses built consume 2% of the power. Seems you want to blame them rather than looking at the data and apportioning blame where it is due

furpile

Expert Member
Where I see a lot of energy, and I mean megawatts being wasted, is on mines. There is a glitch somewhere that takes the techies a couple of hours to fix. Do they stop all the conveyor belts, mills, pumps, screens and other equipment that draws a lot of current during this time? No, the plant equipment keeps on running. When you have a mill with a 2.5mW VSD powering it, just running, you think about the poor sod that is living in darkness in suburbia.
I think you mean 2,5 MW VSD. Also, if the thing is on idle, it is obviously not drawing max load. There are good reasons for all of this, one being that equipment of that size and age you don't just switch on and off. That's a quick way to lose equipment, so rather keep everything on idle while sorting out problems.

Because these heavy industries gets preferential treatment, they don't really care about the man in the street. Every drop from their side also counts.
In 2008, all these industries were forced to reduce usage by 10% so that we did not have to have load shedding at home. This has a huge effect on the economy, but these industries still reduce load when Eskom asks them.