Energy War Room will battle load-shedding

Hanno Labuschagne

Staff member
Energy War Room will battle load-shedding

South Africa’s government revived a so-called Energy War Room to tackle the nation’s electricity crisis, as it brought forward the date when the incoming chief executive officer of the state power utility will start work.

The team, to be headed by Deputy President David Mabuza, will seek to avoid a repeat of a nine-day blackout earlier this month that risks tipping the economy into recession. Debt-ridden Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd. is struggling to meet demand for electricity because of its failure to properly maintain aging plants and invest in new ones.

In addition to Mabuza, the war room will consist of Finance Minister Tito Mboweni, Energy Minister Gwede Mantashe and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan, Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu told reporters at a cabinet briefing Tuesday in the capital, Pretoria.

[Bloomberg]

cyb3rt

I'm with that other guy that said we should just do load shedding properly for an extended period, a year or whatever, and get these plants back up to standard.

beans100

Honorary Master
In addition to Mabuza, the war room will consist of Finance Minister Tito Mboweni, Energy Minister Gwede Mantashe and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan, Minister in the Presidency Jackson Mthembu ...
OMG, the loadshedding will worsen. Do any of these people have knowledge of electricity, what so ever? How many of this panel is needed to change a light bulb? Maybe now is a good time too plan going off grid.

EDIT: Let's wait and see.......what the "KFC" invoice will look like after the first meeting.

Blue Shirt

Why do they need a fricking "war room" just to do their bloody jobs that we already pay them huge salaries to do?

WTF are they going to do differently than what they should already be doing?

Zophos

Expert Member
This David Mabuza:

"Mabuza has been accused of corruption and involvement in tender fraud and being behind the assassination of political opponents while premier of Mpumalanga. In 2015, he was allegedly poisoned, but recovered, giving himself the nickname "The Cat" for his ability to survive attacks by his opponents."

Yeah, this is going to work out great!

grok

Honorary Master
Actually a brilliant strategy of the ANC..

Nothing like a bit of war-talk to get the different factions salivating for their pangas, forming images in their minds of their royal impis (politicians) taking up the spear to fight the load-shedding monster, instead of what every cadre is actually doing - grabbing as much as possible while they still can while letting everything else go to waste.

konfab

Honorary Master
I'm with that other guy that said we should just do load shedding properly for an extended period, a year or whatever, and get these plants back up to standard.
That is what one of their board members said.
“I think therefore if we were given the latitude to actually make decisions without political interference as this board, I would tell you what we would do: I would actually go to South Africans and say honestly, we need to load-shed at least for the next eight months," she said.

"I am saying that understanding that load-shedding for one day in this country costs R2bn, but that would be the honest conversation because you are sitting with units that in the next five years are going to be nearing about 50 years old."
https://www.timeslive.co.za/politics/2019-10-29-eskom-board-member-slams-interference-says-there-should-be-load-shedding/

konfab

Honorary Master
Actually a brilliant strategy of the ANC..

Nothing like a bit of war-talk to get the different factions salivating for their pangas, forming images in their minds of their royal impis (politicians) taking up the spear to fight the load-shedding monster, instead of what every cadre is actually doing - grabbing as much as possible while they still can while letting everything else go to waste.
Honestly, I don't think the ANC intentionally wants load shedding.

However as an organisation, they are simply too stupid to see that their policies are the sole reason why the problem exists.

Iwojima

Expert Member
FFS. Just open the market up to more IPPs.
That is one solution, however given the cost of generation that IPP's are claiming you can expect to pay more for your power.

Opening up to IPP's will also be far less tedious once Eskom has been split into the 3 proposed entities.