Enforced Quarantine/Blockade

Should high risk areas, especially non compliant, be isolated and locked down in their entirety?

• Yes, for the good of all

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • No, it's our right

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • We 're not there yet

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • That's an over-reaction, it's not that serious.

Votes: 2 4.4%

• Total voters

Kosmik

Honorary Master
So, anyone watching the news would have seen the huge challenge we are facing with regards to townships non conformity. While not a popular opinion and our history is troubled, should a decision not be made to effectively quarantine / blockade those townships?

I don't mean patrols, I'm talking temporary fences, decontam check points, the works. Seeing what's happening in places like Alexandra and Umlazi, if it gets in there ( if not already), high chance it will be populated only by the dead in free months.

Not a decision to be taken lightly but for their protection and everyone else, should this not honestly be done?

Executive Member
"No, but non-compliant areas will be marked as 'last in line' for medical treatment" is my answer.

FNfal

Executive Member
No this is COVID 19 not ebola the death rate is between 0 and 4% , if it was ebola with a 90 to 95 % death rate yes .
People are losing their minds with this virus , we have more murders in one day than deaths from the virus .

noxibox

Honorary Master
Technically yes, they should be blocked off. The South African government has effectively referred to the potential for such measures.

The problem is the history of South Africa, and the history in general of trying to use force against people who already feel as though they have little or nothing to lose. A fence would have to be patrolled otherwise it will be breached.

Denying medical treatment would be an option, but if people pick up on it I can imagine that what would happen next is hospitals getting burned down.

So ultimately the government would have to be willing to use deadly force. Potentially on groups of people.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
No this is COVID 19 not ebola the death rate is between 0 and 4% , if it was ebola with a 90 to 95 % death rate yes .
People are losing their minds with this virus , we have more murders in one day than deaths from the virus .

I don't think we've seen yet what the damage can be to a destitute population. China was the main case with a history of conformity to authority and they blockaded as well. Italy did the same with their epicenters.

The mortality rate is currently low but let's take the simple breakdown, 8% will require intensive care with the rest mildly affected. In general population, sure, medicines, home isolation etc will help but I think not here. So that 80% won't hold true and our quotient of co-morbidity conditions are high, with the prevalence of hiv but worse :TB.

We could very easily eclipse other countrys.

noxibox

Honorary Master
We don't know the death rate yet. It could be low, but it is varying drastically from country to country. The problem is overwhelming your hospitals. Italy's hospitals have been crushed. China had to quickly put together more hospitals. Plus it is likely to spread fast in a crowded township. They don't even seem to be taking basic precautions.

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
don't mean patrols, I'm talking temporary fences, decontam check points, the works. Seeing what's happening in places like Alexandra and Umlazi, if it gets in there ( if not already), high chance it will be populated only by the dead in free months.
Good grief. What do you think Covid-19 is? The Plague?

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Good grief. What do you think Covid-19 is? The Plague?
Not quite the same but yes. A controllable one if people simply practice self isolation but have you seen what's happening in the townships? This country's history of civil unrest is coming to the fore and all the measures that we are trying to be put in place are not just flouted, but blatantly disregarded. Our rural areas are actually better off, the high density townships that have arisen to support the work force are worse.

I personally hope it changes but people are fighting with tavern owners who legally shut, communities wanting to force them to open their doors.

This is a sad and desperate situation.

Nqindi

Expert Member
You are making the age old mistake of comparing 1 data point and ignoring the rest. Ebola was around for about 2 years, 11 325 died from it(39.5% mortality rate). These are rookie numbers compared to Covid 19. As I write this 30 892 have dies in 3 months - and this is just be beginning. Ebola, while more deadly is less infectious and easier to contain. So the 30.5% death rate is propagated over a small number of people. Covid 19 is very infectious so that even a low mortality rate of around 2%, if projected over 60% of our population suddenly you have a large number of people that get sick at the same time.

WollieVerstege

The SANDF and SAPS simply don't have the capacity to lockdown all, or just a few, of the townships. Trying to just lock down Alex or Khyalitsha will probably take the full capacity of the SANDF.
It will have to be manned patrols, with orders to shoot to kill, as any fences that will be put up will be "repurposed" within 24 hours.
So it might be prudent but impossible to do.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
The SANDF and SAPS simply don't have the capacity to lockdown all, or just a few, of the townships. Trying to just lock down Alex or Khyalitsha will probably take the full capacity of the SANDF.
It will have to be manned patrols, with orders to shoot to kill, as any fences that will be put up will be "repurposed" within 24 hours.
So it might be prudent but impossible to do.
To be honest, the only way it would work is if we could get the communities or leaders in the communities to assist as well. But, that's also part of the problem ☹️

Mila

Honorary Master
For years we have been told apartheid was the worst thing ever...
( yes yes being sarcastic)

no, it sounds to much like you bringing back the old days with dom passes a we know which areas will be hit the hardest and they might just start rioting.

Nqindi

Expert Member
Based on closed cases, i.e. where the people have either recovered or died, the death rate is about 18%.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
It's too early to tell to true death rate because people that get tested are those that are already very sick. So the sample is skewed. Most people will recover without needing a doctor or even testing. Most experts put the estimate at about 2 - 3.5% mortality rate.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
So, anyone watching the news would have seen the huge challenge we are facing with regards to townships non conformity. While not a popular opinion and our history is troubled, should a decision not be made to effectively quarantine / blockade those townships?

I don't mean patrols, I'm talking temporary fences, decontam check points, the works. Seeing what's happening in places like Alexandra and Umlazi, if it gets in there ( if not already), high chance it will be populated only by the dead in free months.

Not a decision to be taken lightly but for their protection and everyone else, should this not honestly be done?

nice try Verwoerd

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Now, imagine 100 cases (that need hospitalisation) in Pietseenigeplaasfontein where a decent clinic is 100km away and is shared with few other villages. Provinces like L, MP, FS, NW, etc have many places like this.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
All I want to know since healthcare will be essential do we have plans at setting up temporary designated COVID-19 hospitals? Field hospitals at townships and other settlements?

The mortality rate may be low, but that rate goes eerily 'erratic' once healthcare collapses. We don't have the best conditions, to be honest.