Engineering body calls emergency meeting over CEO’s comments about women

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
He's also an engineer. My father-in-law is the same as this guy - zero talent in predicting how people will react to inflammatory statements such as "I'm the most intelligent person in the room. I can't help it."
Which is excusable to a degree if you aren't expected to be the face of an organization really...

Solarion

Honorary Master
Imagine this.
Feminism. The right to choose to be what you want to be and not to be pushed to be what you should be because men

Humans has lost the plot.
I think Feminism is split into two camps, the one group that has hijacked feminism in order to further political agenda's and bully women around; telling them what they can and cannot do and telling them how to think, and then the other camp which believes exactly what you just described.

The_Assimilator

Executive Member
It was an exceedingly thoughtless column which shows he isn't really fit to be at the helm of such an important institution.

Emjay

Executive Member
I agree completely with Pillay. That money should be funneled into raising teaching and nursing salaries. Make women in these careers known and make them wealthy. Women don't want to work in those fields because there is very little money, and very little respect or recognition.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Yip, another case of people not looking at the actual facts and figures used to draw well known conclusions because they don't like what those conclusions purportedly insinuate. Woman are given the free choice to work the same as men but naturally tend to gravitate towards care based occupations or staying at home more to look after family, or even fewer hours in jobs. This leads to the fallacy of gender pay gap and sensationalism of trying to string up a CEO who actually has a brain and wants to direct funds to where they can best be used to make a difference. Too bad all the masses see is woman staying at home = oppression and then spouting off with their vitriol.

kolaval

Expert Member
In this world today the truth is not always an intelligent thing to state publicly
This has me conflicted. I agree because in this situation it kills your career, and I disagree because if you don't speak the truth you'll end up having to live the lie.

konfab

Honorary Master
Yeah sorry Mr Pillay but that was actually a pretty dumbaf thing to say.

See this lovely lady here here name is Faviola Gianotti, she is a particle physicist and she is also the director of CERN.

Which means she is pretty much smarter and higher qualified than anyone at South African Institution of Civil Engineering.

Have a nice day.
And such a person would understand statistics and probability distributions and their implications, which is more than I can say about the people who are complaining about this.

This is such a graph that would explain such a person you mentioned.
1502146696203-Screen-Shot-2017-08-07-at-65310-PM.jpg

Pillay, like James Damore was explaining why woman are less likely to do engineering than men when given the freedom to choose. He isn't saying that woman shouldn't do engineering. You and all the SJW who are complaining about this, are inferring an "ought" from the "is" these people are pointing out.

When you give woman more choice in what they can do, they end up doing more "stereotypically" female careers. When you give them less choice, they move away from the "stereotypes". Which means that if you SJW really want gender equality, you have to force woman to enter into careers that they don't want to do.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/the-more-gender-equality-the-fewer-women-in-stem/553592/

But go ahead and ignore the science behind this and substitute the feels.

Last edited:

rwenzori

Honorary Master
Whatever the merits or demerits of his story, this Pillay chappie really put his foot in it and it is extremely funny. You tell 'em, Manglin. :)

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
This has me conflicted. I agree because in this situation it kills your career, and I disagree because if you don't speak the truth you'll end up having to live the lie.
I totally agree with you..

But when at the CEO level, one has to be aware of these sorts of things....

rietrot

Honorary Master
I totally agree with you..

But when at the CEO level, one has to be aware of these sorts of things....
No, you are extremely wrong. We are in the mess we are in because CEOs and other people with authority take too much shît from those idiots on twitter. Speaking the truth is never wrong and if more influential people do it we would have a much better future.

Last edited:

rietrot

Honorary Master
He shouldn't lose his job, because the people in positions to fire him or make him resign should also be competent engineers and not SJWs on twitter or some leftie journalist.

rietrot

Honorary Master
This is part of a much bigger freedom of speech issue and it is quite concerning how extreme lefties has convinced most normal people that someone should lose their job and have their lives ruined for wrong-speak.

Cray

Honorary Master
Pillay said women prefer not to occupy high-profile executive posts because they would rather have "the flexibility to dedicate themselves to more important enterprises like family and raising children than to be at the beck and call of shareholders".
Looks like Mr Pillay has been watching Jordan Peterson videos...

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
See this lovely lady here here name is Faviola Gianotti, she is a particle physicist and she is also the director of CERN.

Which means she is pretty much smarter and higher qualified than anyone at South African Institution of Civil Engineering.
Would not bang :twisted:

Emjay

Executive Member
Women just like the religious don't like hearing facts

He should know this.
And you should know better. There is always 1 that has to generalize complete BS like this.

Do you think all women are part of feminist movement?

Batista

Executive Member
So a CEO's job is on the line because he basically spoke the truth that relates to over 95% of women?
Fun times we live in, social media/pressure has a big impact nowadays, bloody snowflakes everywhere.