Shadow Dragon

hahaha. this world cup is gonna be the worst ever and this country will be exposed for the bunch of useless people running it

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
This will however require Matsepe-Casaburri to make a u-turn on her recent landing rights announcement, something that most industry experts agree is needed to ensure competition in the international bandwidth market.

Are you kidding? Have you seen her size??? :D

feo

Honorary Master
hahaha. this world cup is gonna be the worst ever and this country will be exposed for the bunch of useless people running it
Not so sure about this forst part but the people running it definitely don't deserve their positions (most of 'em anyway).

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I wouldn't go so far as to condemn the event but as the time draws nearer, I think many of the organisers and promoters are starting to realise exactly the gravity of the deliverables they promised to FIFA during out bid.

My feeling is that we should have held the event here just 4 years later. That would have hopefully given the Government enough time to get it's pigs in a row. As it stands now, Government is making huge investments into technology and infrastructure, yet the man on the street is left out in the cold while the International Community reaps the benifits.

Ricard

Expert Member
HD Video feeds are NOT reliant on low-latency fibres... Video is not sensitive to latency at all.... its uni-directional. There is plenty of satellite bandwidth space to cater for 2010 .

Roo!

Expert Member
Since logic and well the existence of a brain seem to be sorely lacking in our dear old DoC Minister and co., lets just hope that 2010 forces the look-like-me brigade to change their [-]mind[/-] (none exists) decision.

Juice

Expert Member
This will however require Matsepe-Casaburri to make a u-turn on her recent landing rights announcement, something that most industry experts agree is needed to ensure competition in the international bandwidth market.

Can we get her and her entire department of cockups to make a u-turn into an oncoming truck instead?

Juice

Oh, and: Die Telkom, die.

Cara

Expert Member
HD Video feeds are NOT reliant on low-latency fibres... Video is not sensitive to latency at all.... its uni-directional. There is plenty of satellite bandwidth space to cater for 2010 .

But what about the people in the country who will need to communicate with the rest of the world via broadband. Journalists will be logging in to their local websites, visitors need to communicate with family back home etc. It's not just the video feeds SA needs to cater for although I agree with you this is the most critical service.

Last edited:

feo

Honorary Master
But what about the people in the country who will need to communicate with the rest of the world via broadband. Journalists will be logging in to their local websites, visitors need to communicate with family back home etc. It's not just the video feeds SA needs to cater for.
Yep and browsing on 4Mb internet in 2010 is not exactly gonna scream that SA is hi-tech :(.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Its really going to be a joke! But then again our broadband is already the joke of the world.

geoffr

Telecoms Expert

Unfortunately, there is not enough satellite capacity available. Over Africa, the demand for satellite capacity is higher than ever, and supply has not increased. This is exacerbated by the fact that both Intelsat and New Skies recently lost a satellite each.

This also means that satellite capacity is more expensive than submarine fibre.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
My understanding is that a unique situation exists in Africa where, due to the horribly inflated cost of bandwidth on SAT3, and the resale agreements across borders, SAT3 bandwidth is often cases more expensive than Satellite bandwidth.
Madness.

KirPlunk

Bits and bytes and latency and whot not, I PROMISE you, there is not enough national bandwidth ntm international to cater for the hordes of people who will be streaming to SA in 2010.

HD streaming to the outside world ? consider the amount of sports channels available in europe + the amounts of games to be played + the amounts of languages these must be broadcasted in.... remember all editing and add on programmes will be launched from SA, we will not be able to host this bloody thing if this bunch of idiots are behind the steering wheel.

Please someone : Offer Cassaburi Matsepe tsiboga whatever a job at the local grocery store to pack OMO and Sasco Daybreaker on the shelves ... or maybe not, she will make a cockup of that as Well :)
PHwaaaa ha ha ha ha ha stupid swine.

KampfGherkin

I think this has gone beyond just another communications department cockup and is another example of how people like denialist Manto and Poison Ivy are ruling South Africa's government, while the real competent people are fired or let loose. Not too mention what the ANC is doing with the SABC and its increasingly anti-democratic behaviour. At the risk of sounding hysterical and overly pessimistic, it all smells like the beginning of the end if those concerned, the people don't step up to the plate and make clear that this movement is not on.

emmanuel

Enough already. Same articles mostly same words. Where is it going. Seemingly no where. Maybe I need to get out of this site for a while.

Ricard

Expert Member
Unfortunately, there is not enough satellite capacity available. Over Africa, the demand for satellite capacity is higher than ever, and supply has not increased. This is exacerbated by the fact that both Intelsat and New Skies recently lost a satellite each.

This also means that satellite capacity is more expensive than submarine fibre.

You cannot possibly tell me that there is not enough bandwidth to show 5 matches per day! in HD! They are not playing 100 per day!