Enough international bandwidth for now, reckons Telkom CEO

justing

There may be enough international bandwidth but that is where it stops. Telkom cannot provide a decent connectivity and speeds here in SA.

atomcrusher

Expert Member
Would love to hear CEO Moholi's definition of "no immediate plans"

What about next week? That's longer into the future than Telkom's "immediate"

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It's the local bottleneck that needs to be upgraded....

And by "bottleneck" I mean the evil trio that is Government/Telkom/ICASA
And by "upgraded" I mean taken out into the street and shot.

Greylor

Expert Member
I'm actually fine with them stopping investing in more underwater cables....as long as they turn that investment around into improving distribution channels within the country.

lexis

With telkom's slow pace of upgrading I believe her...

Who said "you will never need more than 384kbs"? :twisted:

Last edited:

Freaksta

Expert Member
I'm actually fine with them stopping investing in more underwater cables....as long as they turn that investment around into improving distribution channels within the country.
At the this is the bottle neck, so I have to agree!

Yuu

Expert Member
This pretty much confirms what Mr White was saying when he joked about when we expect to see their VOD service and said “I can tell you it won’t be a 2014 project.”.

We may have H+ in us before that time comes lol :D.

As much as i may say one or more bad things about Telkom, they are the sole reason for us having ADSL so i have to remain optimistic no matter what :).

abandonallhope

Expert Member
I reckon the reason they think they have more than plenty intl bandwidth, is because their terrestrial infrastructure only allows a trickle to actually reach it.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
sounds like eskom, "nah, we have enough power, so lets not plan on doing anything now".
No its not.

We've got more international bandwidth coming into this country than we need - and not even all of it is lit yet.

I agree with them, rather fix and upgrade the local loop / backhaul, which is where the bottleneck is at the moment

I firmly disagree- I think that there will be a bandwidth "explosion" in the next three to four years once the spectrum allocation mess gets sorted out. Its the same thinking as Eskom - they failed to look at future needs and prepare for it. As south Africa's middle class expands and God willing the country moves forward at a steady growth rate of 4-6% ( we live in hope ) one can expect mass uptake of connectivity - especially from the LSM 4-7 groups. When that happens we need to be prepared for it in order for the country to continue advancing.

Sure, she is probably not wrong, but years ago international costs were made out to be the reason behind the high cost of internet in SA. By Telkom. So now it's cheaper than local. It's time Telkom puts their money where their big monopolistic mouths are or eff off.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
Reason why there's no bottleneck in international bandwidth? Cables aren't supplied by Telkom.
Reason why there's a huge bottleneck in national bandwidth? Cables are supplied by Telkom.

Q.E.D.

Bern

Expert Member
Well it is pretty easy to make a comment like that when you control how people access that international bandwidth. If Telkom were to move to a low cost volume wholesale model and allow some competition in there could be an almighty explosion of internet usage which could very quickly burn up the total capacity of those links. She is right, Telkom can control international bandwidth requirements by throttling local supply.

Then looking at the demand side, what about SKA and the MASSIVE bandwidth requirements?? How about all the wireless (Neotel, VC, Cell C, MTN, WAPA members) who are all setting up their own national networks to bypass Telkom?

Then looking at the demand side, what about SKA and the MASSIVE bandwidth requirements?? How about all the wireless (Neotel, VC, Cell C, MTN, WAPA members) who are all setting up their own national networks to bypass Telkom?
Most of them have their own international links, which frees up capacity on the Telkom routes.