Environmental activists challenge Eskom's pollution exemptions

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Environmental activists challenge Eskom's pollution exemptions

Environmental activist groups have filed an appeal against emission limit exemptions granted to South African state-owned power utility Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd. at a number of its coal-fired power plants.

Earth Life Africa and groundWork filed the appeal to the Environment Department, which oversees the work of the air quality officer, on Thursday, according to Nicole Loser, a lawyer at the Centre for Environmental Rights, a legal organization representing the activists.

[Bloomberg]

system32

Executive Member
This is good news and I fully support the "activists" aka responsible citizenship.

Eskom can't be allowed to use the environment as a free dumpster.
People get sick and die from all the pollution.
Pollution has real consequences & costs for future generations.
Eskom & Environment Department & DMRE must be held accountable and made to pay.
By paying, the real costs of coal will become evident.

Also wtf "Khumalo made her decision on 30 Oct it was only publicly announced in December."
Tells me they have something to hide.

Happy Days

Expert Member
The amount of time and money being spent on litigation in order to force the government to enforce their own laws is simply crazy. No accountability, just lip-service, and to hell with the citizens of this country's health.

AlphaJohn

Honorary Master
Not to worry, they will just pay the carbon tax from the SA TAX payers kitty.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
Its only 15% VAT. Still long way to go to 30% and then it can be equal to the school exam pass %. I am investing in belt hole punchers because there is going to be a lot more belt tightening for SA tax payers.

Kawak

Expert Member
This is good news and I fully support the "activists" aka responsible citizenship.

Eskom can't be allowed to use the environment as a free dumpster.
People get sick and die from all the pollution.
Pollution has real consequences & costs for future generations.
Eskom & Environment Department & DMRE must be held accountable and made to pay.
By paying, the real costs of coal will become evident.

Also wtf "Khumalo made her decision on 30 Oct it was only publicly announced in December."
Tells me they have something to hide.

I'm just waiting to see how eskom restructures, which "entity" of the 3 will turn into the dumpster for all debt and junk, then watch as they plunge all related problems there.

As with the pollution problem, we're all on the line, either with our health (us in and around gauteng) or with load shedding.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
I'm just waiting to see how eskom restructures, which "entity" of the 3 will turn into the dumpster for all debt and junk, then watch as they plunge all related problems there.

As with the pollution problem, we're all on the line, either with our health (us in and around gauteng) or with load shedding.
I`m waiting to see how splitting up eskom is going to fix corruption and incompetence. The only true reason for the spit idea is because someone thinks 3 troughs are better than just the 1 old trough. 3 Gravy trains is surely better than 1.

system32

Executive Member
I`m waiting to see how splitting up eskom is going to fix corruption and incompetence. The only true reason for the spit idea is because someone thinks 3 troughs are better than just the 1 old trough. 3 Gravy trains is surely better than 1.
3 actually makes sense and is how many international grids are structured.
eg in EU https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Network_of_Transmission_System_Operators_for_Electricity

Having the manufacture split from transmission and sales allows independent manufacturers.
Also it prevents manufacture subsidising transmission & sales and vice-versa.

Paul_S

Executive Member

They'll just use general tax to pay for it and by extension you and I will foot the bill but I'm happy with that.
For once my tax money would be put to good use and it leaves less for their grubby hands to get hold of. Squeeze them where it hurts.

rietrot

Honorary Master
They'll just use general tax to pay for it and by extension you and I will foot the bill but I'm happy with that.
For once my tax money would be put to good use and it leaves less for their grubby hands to get hold of. Squeeze them where it hurts.
Serious question. Who to you guys think we pay carbon tax to?

Taxes go to the government. Our government.

Paul_S

Executive Member
Serious question. Who to you guys think we pay carbon tax to?

Taxes go to the government. Our government.

I don't pay carbon tax directly since new vehicles are too expensive. At the end of the day it's funny money and all goes into the general fiscus like fuel levies.