EOH CEO explains why staff take a salary hit while execs score millions

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Its sad. The only tool a employee really has in their arsenal around this is to leave. Had a problem last year and made the decision to go where appreciated, haven't looked back.

Mystic Twilight

Expert Member
Situation is unethical but is fairly expected for any company, very seldom do companies remove top management before removing bottom workers.

yebocan

Honorary Master
Its sad. The only tool a employee really has in their arsenal around this is to leave. Had a problem last year and made the decision to go where appreciated, haven't looked back.
know your value...,and never sell yourself short/at a discount....no matter the economic environment.

VooDooC

Expert Member
Went from an outsourced company to in-house IT department, my salary more than doubled in less than 3 years.

The difference is that a lot of the big companies that have their own IT departments would rather pay you a fair amount and keep the expertise than replacing you every couple months. But again, not all companies do that as they see IT as nothing more than the help, an expensive one at that.

Constantly have to hear how we are an expense, we don't make money for the company, even had some guys suggest that they get rid of IT completely as they reckon anyone can troubleshoot a workstation issue, not understanding that the workstation they use is just a very small part of the whole picture.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
luckily i left them 4 years ago, otherwise i'd be super miffed about having gotten a salary cut while they expected me to have the same output and then finding out that the ceo still gets his millions in salary and bonuses when he and his cronies could easily afford to not get paid for a couple months.

And I almost joined 4-5 years ago.

Dodged that one.

Hellhound105

Executive Member
"The only consolation for EOH staff who are now suffering financially will be if they benefit from Van Coller’s leadership in future. And that is a lot of responsibility on the EOH CEO’s shoulders."

Slow down Staff writer, not everyone thinks Van Coller is god

animal531

Expert Member
It's even worse than people think.

EOH buys up smaller profitable companies that overlap with any of their business units, selling them on the idea of belonging to a bigger org where they'll get a ton of exposure and benefit from cross-silo interaction, as well as inner knowledge and connections into other companies (Hint, as expected in the real world none of this gives a real big advantage). The existing company owners are usually very happy because they get a very nice payout.

But then the reality kicks in where once taken on their overhead costs skyrocket because they're expected to pay for all the EOH/Nextec/IOCO/etc. layers; infrastructure, HR, etc.

If the company begins to struggle they go into business rescue, then depending on who's driving it they don't have too much time before retrenchment is going to happen.

They talk nicely in the article about keeping jobs, but there have been a ton of retrenchments in the last few years.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Top managers, for example, must receive good salaries and bonuses to stop them from looking for other opportunities.

Employees can do the same.

Contrary tot what many believe there is still plenty of jobs out there for skilled, experienced devs. They will probably lose a decent amount of their top devs.
I don't think it will matter much to them as a company though. Is the idea of a dev-whorehouse that the devs are interchangeable and can go and work at any customer?

The Magster

Ah, the real world. Surely is cruel. But of course, if those right at the top can get away with a model like this, then surely EOH can. Sad.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
Employees can do the same.

Contrary tot what many believe there is still plenty of jobs out there for skilled, experienced devs. They will probably lose a decent amount of their top devs.
I don't think it will matter much to them as a company though. Is the idea of a dev-whorehouse that the devs are interchangeable and can go and work at any customer?

Any devs at EOH should be interviewing right now.

I must say, having done some software consulting work in the past, I would never do it again. I should have gone straight into one of the larger financial houses - like banks or insurance companies. Much more money that way. Also, much better and more interesting work.

SilverCode

Pydigadu and Newman, however, took their bonuses. Van Coller said he insisted they take it because of their excellent performance
<snip>
Top managers, for example, must receive good salaries and bonuses to stop them from looking for other opportunities.
You hear that EOH staff? Your performance was bad and they don't care if you leave for another job. You know what you should do? Leave for another Job and let all those managers who are all too important to the company and have excellent performance do your job instead.