Equivalent of "Vaalie"

Electrra

For decades Cape Townians and Durbanites have called anyone from inland who comes to their home town in summer a "Vaalie" and most have descriptions of what these "Vaalies" are like: what they look like, how they sound and how they act. But are there similar descriptions and names that the so called "Vaalies" have for their coastal brothers and sisters?

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
We call the people in the Cape 'n klomp vispote or Kuipies. (Capies )

Last edited:

Akima

Banned
Souties is one I've heard. Not sure what it means but I've heard the vaalies using it here in Durbs before, used to call us surfers souties.

TJ99

Honorary Master
Souties is one I've heard. Not sure what it means but I've heard the vaalies using it here in Durbs before, used to call us surfers souties.
Souties are just English South Africans.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
Which works for Durban since Natal is the "Last Outpost of the British Empire".....

P

Picard

I call anyone I don't like 'Bastards'!.

Aussie bastards
All Black bastards
Pommie bastards
Boytjie bastards (South African English Private School boys)

Devill

Damned
Capies for Capetonians, but nothing comes to mind for the Durbanites.

I.am.Sam

rehabilitated troller
what is a vaalie...i have never heard anyone call other people that when i was in dbn

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
I call anyone who lives by the sea hippies.

I suppose I am one now... eek !

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Souties are just English South Africans.
Yip...One foot in England...one foot in SA and his tottie danglin in the ocean = sout tottie...or soutie! lolz.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I get called 'sout piel' or something like that. No idea what it means :confused:
mwhahahahaha.

see my description one up. Sout piele hehehehe....I think it is a endearing term...although it can be said with a lot of nastiness also. Depends on who it comes from and how it is delivered. :D

porchrat

Honorary Master
I get called 'sout piel' or something like that. No idea what it means :confused:
One foot in South Africa and the other in the UK with your piel hanging in the ocean getting salty.

soutie for short.

Depending on who says it it is either just for fun or derogatory name for English South Africans.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
One foot in South Africa and the other in the UK with your piel hanging in the ocean getting salty.

soutie for short.

Depending on who says it it is either just for fun or derogatory name for English South Africans.
I said it first! Go find your own sout piel. THIS ONES MNE! :mad:

:p

Kosmik

Honorary Master
im not white lol and was from dbn so thats why im wondering..maybe its a white surfer thing
Hell no, many folks call them vaalies still.

Bloem and NC we just call dutchmen :p

No offense intended folks :D