Error 633 ...

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Hi, I need some help ...

Since this morning I've been getting the following error:

error 633: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly.

It worked fine yesterday and I changed nothing on my laptop whatsoever. I have unistalled and re-installed the Huawei software three times this morning already. I also loaded the latest version of the Huawei software now - still without success. I have disabled the internal 56K modem on the laptop and only have the one modem (datacard) active.

Anyone have any idea what more I should/can do?

ginggs

Super Grandwizard
Hi, I need some help ...

Since this morning I've been getting the following error:

error 633: The modem (or other connecting device) is already in use or is not configured properly.

It worked fine yesterday and I changed nothing on my laptop whatsoever. I have unistalled and re-installed the Huawei software three times this morning already. I also loaded the latest version of the Huawei software now - still without success. I have disabled the internal 56K modem on the laptop and only have the one modem (datacard) active.

Anyone have any idea what more I should/can do?
Try downloading PortMon, available here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Portmon.html
You should be able to see which programs are taking control of your COM ports.

Some of the programs that grab COM ports are: Nokia Connection Manager, mRouter and Windows Fax Service.

nicovdw

I have also started getting these all of a sudden. Along with error 619's 3G at my house has been non existant the last week or so.

BeVonk!

Executive Member
Try downloading PortMon, available here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Portmon.html
You should be able to see which programs are taking control of your COM ports.

Some of the programs that grab COM ports are: Nokia Connection Manager, mRouter and Windows Fax Service.
Thanx ginggs. Still no success. The only application using the ports is Huawei - which uses three ports (7,9,10). I have uninstalled en re-installed the Huawei software (and others) over and over again but the Windows keep believing a modem is already in use and will allow no other modem to open. I have unistalled all modems - even the 56K internal one - without success. I also installed my Nokia 9300i as modem and this gets the same 633 error stating that a modem is already in use. I have wasted many hours on this today. :(

I have tested my Huwawei datacard in a friend's laptop and it works fine.

YelloFever

MTN Company Representative
Thanx ginggs. Still no success. The only application using the ports is Huawei - which uses three ports (7,9,10). I have uninstalled en re-installed the Huawei software (and others) over and over again but the Windows keep believing a modem is already in use and will allow no other modem to open. I have unistalled all modems - even the 56K internal one - without success. I also installed my Nokia 9300i as modem and this gets the same 633 error stating that a modem is already in use. I have wasted many hours on this today. :(

I have tested my Huwawei datacard in a friend's laptop and it works fine.
:(

Wonder what's up with your notebook but be a config error or something

MTNDD

Insider

I had problems with the Huawei card where the laptop did not recognise the datacard. This was circumvented by manually changing the COM ports for the data card.

Some kind of hardware or port conflict?

YelloFever

MTN Company Representative
I had problems with the Huawei card where the laptop did not recognise the datacard. This was circumvented by manually changing the COM ports for the data card.

Some kind of hardware or port conflict?

Strange enough you mentioned a COM port setting we had a similar issue with the MTN@ccess site and when we changed the COM settings to COM 2 it appeared to work.

What did you change your COM settings to?

MTNDD