Eskom’s “data scientists” will predict technical faults

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Eskom’s team of data scientists seem to operate in a bubble of the future, where they use cutting edge practices of scrum and agile management techniques.

“We use agile project management methodologies, which is a new way of doing projects in Eskom,” he said. “We also encourage curiosity and storytelling among the team using scrum sessions.”

Is it just me - or is anyone else giggling uncontrollably after reading this?
I just mailed this to a old colleague of mine - who ran a major software project for Eskom a few years ago.

His reply - 'I can't even...
I mean...
I just...'

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
BWAHAHAHAHAHA

But true, they will have a 80/20 chance of predicting a disaster correctly due to lack of maintenance.

itareanlnotani

Expert Member
I can easily predict failures with my easy flowchart, applicable to Eskom:

Have we done any preventative maintenance in the last few years?
|
V
No
|
V
Its going to fail.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Thats fekking too funny..

Esp the "developing software" aspect of it...

Those muppets are more than likely just using Hadoop or some variant of it.

Nod

Executive Member
May I save some money and suggest the following tools?
dice.jpg

SilverCode

Eskom’s team of data scientists seem to operate in a bubble of the future
We should ask them if there is electricity in the future.

Also, where can I find out more about these cutting edge futuristic management techniques? What is the likelyhood it will catch on and revolutionize the software world?

Voicy

Honorary Master
Is it just me - or is anyone else giggling uncontrollably after reading this?
I just mailed this to a old colleague of mine - who ran a major software project for Eskom a few years ago.

His reply - 'I can't even...
I mean...
I just...'

Something that's always been cringeworthy to me is that Eskom refers to its own employees as Guardians. Because they guard the nation. Pretty sad. They interfere in so much instead of focussing on producing and distributing power.

Mr.Jax

Expert Member
Might just as well appoint a sangoma or fortune teller for that job...maybe they did o_O

VegOtter

bwahahah, "Scrum and Agile"... "Cutting Edge"... I can't deal. I think 90% of successful software companies use this already. Not really as "cutting edge" as they would like to make it out to be.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Eskom’s team of data scientists seem to operate in a bubble of the future, where they use cutting edge practices of scrum and agile management techniques.

“We use agile project management methodologies, which is a new way of doing projects in Eskom,” he said. “We also encourage curiosity and storytelling among the team using scrum sessions.”
OMFG!!! Are they serious...
Thanks for the laugh guys... made my evening.... hahahahaha

Sonic2k

Executive Member

OMFG!!! Are they serious...
Thanks for the laugh guys... made my evening.... hahahahaha

For what its worth, they are VERY late to that project management party... and besides, those things are mainly for software developers, or am I missing the plot here.