Eskom’s leadership is a bunch of amateurs – Energy expert

Messugga

Honorary Master
So there has never been any CEO'S leading companies to prosperity while not having any direct experience in the field?
Leadership is more than just the CEO. It's the entire senior management structure.
I challenge you to find one large, successful company where there isn't at least some skills relating to the work that the company does, on board level.

Cray

Honorary Master
So there has never been any CEO'S leading companies to prosperity while not having any direct experience in the field?
What consequential leadership experience did Hadebe have? What experience did he have of working in a high pressure environment, with demanding customers in an institution of vital strategic importance?

Do you really think the Land and Agricultural Development Bank of South Africa is an organisation that is supremely demanding of it's leadership? Or that a position in National Treasury is a position where leadership metal is tested? I agree that you don't have to have direct experience in an industry to be CEO, what experience does he have in leading a strategic and ailing company?

thechamp

Honorary Master
Leadership is more than just the CEO. It's the entire senior management structure.
I challenge you to find one large, successful company where there isn't at least some skills relating to the work that the company does, on board level.
True, I agree, I never made such a claim so I don't have to take up your challenge.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
The previous CEOs had Engineering backgrounds, qualifications in Engineering, experience in the energy sector and most important years of experience with Eskom some of them having started as fresh graduates with Eskomn and grown from withing the company, yet here we are.
Any senior exec working at Eskom circa 2008 and beyond would've been working in a heavily corrupted environment as that is when Zuma and co started their fun and games. Their capacity to do things the correct way is in doubt as a result.

1553840999626.png

Lets ignore Morgan and Gcabashe as at that time Eskom was still fully functional. Under Morgan, Eskom was turning a profit, pursuing a privatisation program and reducing the cost of electricity to the consumer.

Now, lets turn to the the 9 CEOs that served during Zuma's tenure.

3 - Maritz; Koko and Molefe - are implicated in State Capture while Matjila, was found to have breached procurement protocols when making deals with Gupta-aligned companies. That is 4 out of 9 CEOs involved in State Capture and the destruction of Eskom.

The other 5 can be placed in the ''good guy'' category with maybe a raised eyebrow where Dames is concerned.

Maroga was the first casualty of the Zuma regime. Looking at his background, it would be safe to say that he was a competent guy with good intentions. Unfortunately this meant he would not facilitate Zuma's looting and he was forced out.

Makwana really didn't do much, except maybe provide a forewarning for the growing turmoil at Eskom.

Dames fell on his sword when a possible conflict of interest arose that involved IPPs connected to Patrice Motsepe and Cyril Ramaphosa. No evidence of wrong-doing though so we'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Then we have two victims of trying to be stand-up guys. Matona was dismissed by a Gupta-approved board after questioning governance and ethics at Eskom while Dladla was ''encouraged'' to leave when it was discovered that he was working with investigators as they looked in to Trillian.

All of them were also working with boards that were increasingly being poisoned with Zupta deployments, so they were really just the face of a corrupt board making all the decisions.

eye_suc

Expert Member
Here you can see an in-depth look at how the ANC deploys ministers and CEO's.
It is very clear, a lot of thought goes into the deployments and and all the flies skills are taken into consideration.
It is a very similar process to how the Roman Catholic church deploys their peados priests.

evilstebunny

Honorary Master
What consequential leadership experience did Hadebe have? What experience did he have of working in a high pressure environment, with demanding customers in an institution of vital strategic importance?

Do you really think the Land and Agricultural Development Bank of South Africa is an organisation that is supremely demanding of it's leadership? Or that a position in National Treasury is a position where leadership metal is tested? I agree that you don't have to have direct experience in an industry to be CEO, what experience does he have in leading a strategic and ailing company?
Well, he seemed quite adept at holding out the begging bowl, as was pretty evident during the recent load-shedding shenanigans.

bezb

We have said this repeatedly, that Eskom should be run by an Electrical Engineering with years of experience. If anyone with a little intelligence wants to see what I mean, they can go look back at the time when Ian McRae was at the helm of Eskom, not those who cam after him. But then, it should not stop at the executive level, it should be filtered down. But, with this government, it is unlikely that it will happen.

konfab

Honorary Master
Where can one read this history? Do you have a link perhaps?
http://www.eskom.co.za/sites/heritage/Pages/1923.aspx

it is a fascinating read, with some downright depressing statements
From 1954 onwards, ESCOM’s Chairman, Dr JT Hattingh, sat on numerous committees that investigated the possibility of using nuclear energy for industrial purposes. Although there were plenty of interest and enthusiasm for nuclear energy at the time (similar perhaps to the current push for renewable energy),Dr Hattingh remained phlegmatic. He retained this cautious approach to nuclear power throughout his tenure as Chairman and instead pushed ahead with unprecedented expansion to SouthAfrica’s coal-powered generation fleet.

When, in 1957, the Special Commission into the Application of Nuclear Power asked him whether ESCOM ever deemed it necessary to implement power cuts due to a shortage of coal, his answer was “No”.
http://www.eskom.co.za/sites/heritage/Pages/1950.aspx

:crying::crying:

Lew Skannen

Expert Member
It has nothing to do with AA. It has everything to do with corruption. And that is the name it should be called by. Corruption.
Bulls**t! And you know it. This is the exact reason why the problems at Eskom will never be resolved.

thechamp

Honorary Master

I don't know why Hadebe was appointed above everyone else as well as the qualities that whoever appointed him was looking for, You did understand the point I was making so that is fine with me. The current CEO of Telkom had no experience of managing an ailing company, he only had a couple of months experience in the Telecoms sector. Jabu Mabuza was an unknown entity at the time but they did okay looking back at the way Telkom was back then, I do agree your questions are still valid questions to be asked.

Last edited:

clickingbuttons

Let's ask the Italians to send some skilled people to come and help us!

They will send skilled engineers to guide us to new solutions!

They wont cost us too much money I'm sure!

thechamp

Honorary Master
We have said this repeatedly, that Eskom should be run by an Electrical Engineering with years of experience. If anyone with a little intelligence wants to see what I mean, they can go look back at the time when Ian McRae was at the helm of Eskom, not those who cam after him. But then, it should not stop at the executive level, it should be filtered down. But, with this government, it is unlikely that it will happen.
Isn't your statement odd since Ian McRae was not an Electrical Engineer? he had a BSc in Mechanical Engineering.

konfab

Honorary Master
Isn't your statement odd since Ian McRae was not an Electrical Engineer? he had a BSc in Mechanical Engineering.
Mechanical engineers still do a few courses on electrical engineering. The main thing is you want people from a technical background being in charge.

Their first chairman was a physicist

smkungfu

It's mechanical engineering that produces the output towards electrical engineering.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Mechanical engineers still do a few courses on electrical engineering. The main thing is you want people from a technical background being in charge.

Their first chairman was a physicist
It's mechanical engineering that produces the output towards electrical engineering.
Cool, I am not the one who is busy making absolute statements about the requirements for the top job at Eskom.